Calorie Confused

Options
:smile: So here i am i have always been up and down with my weight since my teen age years. So i decied again that i want to lose some weight, i joind a gym on June 1st 2012 and worked out with a personal trainner 6 days a week for 3 months. I had a rmr done at the gym and it said that it was right around 1620. September until now i have been working out 5/6 days a week by myself, i life three days a week and i do cardio 3 days a week for 35/45 min. I have lost 8lbs and some inches. I am 5'10 female who is 33years old and weight in at 195. Oh i am a secretary in a Dr's office but we do not sit behind a desk at all, i am on my feet for 8 hours a day. I guess to sum this all up i am so confused on to how many calories i should be eating. I have done my TDEE, BMR, etc on a couple of different sites and i just dont know where to start to lose weight, i would really like to lose 10lbs by Jan 11th as i am going to the island. Sorry if this question has been repeated by other people, but i am just looking for some guidance

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Your RMR is 1620, which you measured with more reliability than a simple online calculator.

From there, eat between that and your TDEE.
  • kels67camaro
    Options
    Your RMR is 1620, which you measured with more reliability than a simple online calculator.

I dont disagree with that, but on the printout the gym gave me it said i should be eating between 1400-1600 calories a day. Isnt that eating below my rmr?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I would mark yourself as lightly active in MFP (to account for being on your feet a good part of the work day) and then eat back your intentional exercise calories (your actual workouts that you do 5/6 times a week). MFP works. Others will say subtract 20% off your TDEE but that didn't work for me and didn't give me an incentive to exercise! It was granting me extra calories that I hadn't earned yet.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    There is a guy here who created a great spreadsheet. You can plug in your stats and your RMR and your workouts to really drill down the numbers.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm
  • omma_to_3
    Options

I dont disagree with that, but on the printout the gym gave me it said i should be eating between 1400-1600 calories a day. Isnt that eating below my rmr?

I have seen ZERO scientific evidence that eating below your BMR is an issue. All things within reason of course, but keeping above 1200 NET calories a day, even if it's a couple hundred below your BMR is not going to be an issue. For small people, they may even be able to go below 1200 but you (nor even I, at 5'4") don't really qualify for that.

I have been using the MFP plan for 18 months. I initially was netting around 1460 and now aim to net 1200. I haven't lost large amounts of muscle mass, nor have I slowed my metabolism. At least I assume I haven't, given when I had my RMR tested this summer it came in about 10% higher than the online calculators - about 1620.
  • deksgrl
    Options

You want to lose the weight in fat, you want to preserve as much Lean Body Mass as you can. If you don't eat enough, you will lose LBM.
  • deksgrl
    Options

I have seen ZERO scientific evidence that eating below your BMR is an issue. All things within reason of course, but keeping above 1200 NET calories a day, even if it's a couple hundred below your BMR is not going to be an issue. For small people, they may even be able to go below 1200 but you (nor even I, at 5'4") don't really qualify for that.

She doesn't have a lot of weight to lose though, AND she works out pretty hard, so she shouldn't be at such a deep cut.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • omma_to_3
    Options

She doesn't have a lot of weight to lose though, AND she works out pretty hard, so she shouldn't be at such a deep cut.

I actually doubt that MFP would set her at 1200 though (it does me, because I'm shorter and weigh less). I was just suggesting following MFP recommendations. Given the amount of weight to lose, set it to a half pound or one pound loss only and see what it says. Come back and tell us, because I'm curious.

Also, the working out won't affect anything because MFP references net calories. So, workout more = eat more. I aim to net 1200 a day, but on my workout days, I can eat up to 2000 calories (gross calories) depending on what I did that day.
  • kels67camaro
    Options

I actually doubt that MFP would set her at 1200 though (it does me, because I'm shorter and weigh less). I was just suggesting following MFP recommendations. Given the amount of weight to lose, set it to a half pound or one pound loss only and see what it says. Come back and tell us, because I'm curious.

Also, the working out won't affect anything because MFP references net calories. So, workout more = eat more. I aim to net 1200 a day, but on my workout days, I can eat up to 2000 calories (gross calories) depending on what I did that day.

So if i put in my weight of 194.4 and my acutal goal of 175lbs and lightly active with 1lb per week it gives me 1750 calories
  • doreenindetroit
    Options
    What is RMR, BME, MFP, and TDEE?

Sounds very complicated and mathematical. I'm not sure one math formula will work the same for everybody, and the common sense approach should prevail.

My suggestion would be to look at WHAT you are eating, and how much if it you are eating. Not all calories are the same, and should not be treated the same. That is one thing I do not like about this program and what they are trying to promote. Personally I find that imbalanced nutrition, despite increased exercise, cause me to gain weight and feel more hungry. I'm not anti-carb by any means but try to focus on incorporating lean protein, and try to avoid white bleached flour carbs. Stick to whole wheat or brown rice, your body will process it easier and feel more full. Protein will help your muscles repair themselves from all your exercise too.
  • omma_to_3
    Options

So if i put in my weight of 194.4 and my acutal goal of 175lbs and lightly active with 1lb per week it gives me 1750 calories

Sounds about right! And, above your BMR if you were worried about going below it :-) Remember to eat more on your work out days, but less on weekends when you're not moving around at work all day. Those types of adjustments are why I use sedentary and just add to it rather than worrying about not hitting a higher activity level.
  • deksgrl
    Options

I find it easier not to have to keep track of the exercise calories. I don't use an HRM so the cal burns are just guesses. So I eat at TDEE - 20% and do not eat exercise cals. I don't have to wonder or worry about how much I am going to eat, it is the same every day. This has worked better for me, because I set it up initially the MFP way and I wasn't successful. Now the weight is falling off.
  • deksgrl
    Options

Sounds very complicated and mathematical. I'm not sure one math formula will work the same for everybody, and the common sense approach should prevail.

My suggestion would be to look at WHAT you are eating, and how much if it you are eating. Not all calories are the same, and should not be treated the same. That is one thing I do not like about this program and what they are trying to promote. Personally I find that imbalanced nutrition, despite increased exercise, cause me to gain weight and feel more hungry. I'm not anti-carb by any means but try to focus on incorporating lean protein, and try to avoid white bleached flour carbs. Stick to whole wheat or brown rice, your body will process it easier and feel more full. Protein will help your muscles repair themselves from all your exercise too.

Weight loss is mathematical. :) But not complicated.

MFP = this site My Fitness Pal.

BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate. This is the amount of calories they would feed you if you were in a coma to fuel your basic bodily function.

RMR = Resting Metabolic Rate. Similar to BMR, except resting, not catatonic.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is your BMR plus all of the calories you need for everything else you do all day and fuel for your workouts, everything.

You should eat above BMR but less than TDEE. You have to create a deficit of 500 calories per day to lose 1 pound a week. So, eat 250 cals less and exercise off 250 cals per day.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents but I would say your probably more towards moderate exercise, 6 days a week exercising at around 45 minutes each sound about right? Your cardio is that more intense cardio (running, fast on a treadmill, higher speeds on machines where you are drenched) or more like walking etc? As for lifting, are you taking long breaks or are you really working, and is your heart rate going? If your on the more intense side of your workouts I would probably aim for 1800-2000 calories, that might even be on the low end if your workouts are intense.
  • kels67camaro
    Options

Weight loss is mathematical. :) But not complicated.

MFP = this site My Fitness Pal.

BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate. This is the amount of calories they would feed you if you were in a coma to fuel your basic bodily function.

RMR = Resting Metabolic Rate. Similar to BMR, except resting, not catatonic.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is your BMR plus all of the calories you need for everything else you do all day and fuel for your workouts, everything.

You should eat above BMR but less than TDEE. You have to create a deficit of 500 calories per day to lose 1 pound a week. So, eat 250 cals less and exercise off 250 cals per day.

MFP says 1750 at lightly active
    BMR 1470 or 1670
    RMR 1620 (done at my gym
    TDEE 2279 or 2296

i used two different calculators with the same infor and i get two different answers so this is why i am confused on what to do
  • kels67camaro
    Options
    Oh and one tells me to eat 1779 calories and the other say 1952 calories :huh:
  • deksgrl
    Options

MFP says 1750 at lightly active
    BMR 1470 or 1670
    RMR 1620 (done at my gym
    TDEE 2279 or 2296

i used two different calculators with the same infor and i get two different answers so this is why i am confused on what to do

The Katch McArdle calculator is more accurate because it uses your body fat % in the calculation. Others are less accurate because they only use age, height, weight.

Your TDEE numbers are pretty close. 20% less than 2279 would be 1823 calories you would eat. If you were to set up your MFP goal manually to 1800, and not eat any additional exercise cals, I'm certain you would be successful.
  • spursfan01
    Options

LOL, I hope you dont beleive a Gym Prinout. Calculate your TDEE
  • kels67camaro
    Options

LOL, I hope you dont beleive a Gym Prinout. Calculate your TDEE

LOL i dont not believe it, but if you cant trust a test what can you trust..he he