It might seem healthy- but it's not!

Options
I just made a mistake. Feeling snackish while shopping this afternoon around 3:30, I decided to get a smoothie. I figured that was a good choice, versus the other snacks I could have gotten. I also made sure to get the small size, and to make sure I didn't get one that was made with ice cream. However, I didn't realize that the small was actually 20 oz and I definitely didn't expect it to be 350 calories which is what I found out when I got home and looked it up!! I feel silly... did everyone else already know how caloric these things could be? Do people usually just eat smoothies for a meal?
What would others do now? I will probably feel hungry for dinner later in the evening. Would you go get on the tredmill and make room? Or would you just wait until tomorrow? Or would you just eat a low calorie dinner and deal with going over the goal a bit?
I guess I probably already know the right choice....

Replies

• imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I just made a mistake. Feeling snackish while shopping this afternoon around 3:30, I decided to get a smoothie. I figured that was a good choice, versus the other snacks I could have gotten. I also made sure to get the small size, and to make sure I didn't get one that was made with ice cream. However, I didn't realize that the small was actually 20 oz and I definitely didn't expect it to be 350 calories which is what I found out when I got home and looked it up!! I feel silly... did everyone else already know how caloric these things could be? Do people usually just eat smoothies for a meal?
    What would others do now? I will probably feel hungry for dinner later in the evening. Would you go get on the tredmill and make room? Or would you just wait until tomorrow? Or would you just eat a low calorie dinner and deal with going over the goal a bit?
    I guess I probably already know the right choice....

It still could be a healthy choice if it's made with healthy ingredients. But they are def calorie gobblers, same with protein shakes..lots of calories! You have to factor them into your eating plan, if it means working out a little extra or eating a little lighter the rest of the day, it's def not the end of the world especially if it was a "healthy" smoothie
  • Smigs87
    Smigs87 Posts: 8
    Options
    my advice would be to go workout for a little while and then eat a healthy dinner as well. skipping a meal is not a good option just because you made a mistake. and if you go over your calorie goal once it isnt going to make or break you. try eating a salad with a little chicken on it for dinner maybe.
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    20 ounces does seem a bit large for a small....but at 350 calories...Im not sure that I would say that it is unhealthy -- what was in the smoothie? Was it fruit and yogurt or something else? A fruit and yogurt smoothie - imo - at 350 calories for 20 ounces would be fine to me...but if it was a smoothie made from something else including refined sugars then yes, it isnt a healthy choice for 350 calories!
    I think that a lot of people do use these as meals - or as snacks in place of a meal. I personally do not like to eat them because I like to chew my calories....:smile:
    As for what to do now...what do you have left for today - have you exercised yet? Maybe grab some exercise and add some calories for your day....or have a light dinner and go over your caloires by a bit....a small amount of going over a day or two isnt going to make you gain weight...only you can decide what will be the best choice for you....good luck
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    20 oz is pretty large - about twice the size of a serving for a drink. I make 12 oz smoothies at home using just v8 fusion juice, low fat yogurt, and fresh fruit (1/2 banana, 4-5 strawberries, and 1/3 cup blueberries) and it's about 200 calories. I usually have that and a slice of raisin bread for breakfast.

350 calories may seem like a lot, but compared to other snacks you could have gotten - pretzels, popcorn, pizza - I bet it had more nutritional value for the calories you consumed. I would eat a light dinner tonight. I'm not sure how many calories you have left - there's a lot you could have for <500 calories. Or if you're looking at closer to 200... try a bowl of cereal! It'll keep your metabolism going w/o making you feel like you're going to bed without dinner - don't punish yourself over it.
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Its the fructose which is a naturally occurring sugar which ups the calorie count on smoothies, even just plain fruit no ice cream, no yoghurt ones, as other people have said it doesnt mean they are unhealthy, a good portion of fresh fruit so long as there is no other crud thrown in is healthy i wouldnt beat yourself up over it :0)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    20 oz is pretty large - about twice the size of a serving for a drink. I make 12 oz smoothies at home using just v8 fusion juice, low fat yogurt, and fresh fruit (1/2 banana, 4-5 strawberries, and 1/3 cup blueberries) and it's about 200 calories. I usually have that and a slice of raisin bread for breakfast.

sounds delish!