Anyone doing intermittent fasting, add me?

5'4 120 pound woman, i'm doing two 24 hour fasts a week and eating 1600 each day the rest of the week, eating back all calories burned in cardio. Going to give this a go as i've fasted before for emotional health and recent research has made me consider short-term fasting every week for fat loss and energy. I'll keep my profile updated but i'm looking for and to give support!

Replies

• MayonnaiseJane
    MayonnaiseJane Posts: 12 Member
    Fasting that frequently isn't good for you... and isn't 120 already the healthy weight for 5 foot 4?
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    I'm not sure what you could gain from fasting a full 24 hours, it doesn't sound healthy at all. And that frequently. When I think of intermittent fasting I think of say, stopping eating at 8pm and not eating till like....10am the next day...a good break in between eating. I think that's ok.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I IF every night. It's called SLEEPING, lol. Eat dinner at 6, eat breakfast at 9 or 10. Easiest IF there is :)

oh, I did want to say that I really do IF from time to time, but not on purpose. It comes naturally thanks to trying to follow a primal/paleo lifestyle.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Fasting that frequently isn't good for you... and isn't 120 already the healthy weight for 5 foot 4?

Fasting actually has MANY health benefits. I do IF in a four hour time frame. So for 20 hours of the day, I don't eat and in a 4 hour period I eat all of my calories for the day
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    what ever happened to healthy eating and exercise?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    what ever happened to healthy eating and exercise?

IF is done in addition to that.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member

define healthy weight? I was technically "healthy" at 146 too. I'm working on defining my body right now.
  • MayonnaiseJane
    Healthy like 22 BMI. I'm quite a bit shorter than you and my doctor would FREAK if I was trying to get own to only 108 pounds.
  • Barry7879
    Barry7879 Posts: 62 Member
    I did a fast for 2 and half days after seeing the BBC Horizon documentary. According to my Tanita BC1000 BIA scale, most of the 2kg I lost during this period was lean body mass so I won't be doing it again. Follow Scooby's workshop and Eat More to Weigh Less group on this site I think is best... A modest 15% caloric deficit, regular cardio and 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight is my approach.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    While I've never tried it, I have read different articles that state IF has many health benefits - not just weight loss. I hear it's great for breaking a plateau as well.

I can't stand it when I read about folks harping on others about trying to get to the lower end of their BMI range.

I'm small boned, 5'9", and weigh 125. You can ask my doctor if I'm anything but unhealthy.
  • LCSoulkat
    LCSoulkat Posts: 89 Member
    Read Brad Pilon...Eat, Fast, Eat....There are many benefits for 2 days per week of 24 hr fasting.....I am doing it and have lost good weight so far while strength training...I feel good so far and energetic and not hungry at all.
  • ferniejoy
    ferniejoy Posts: 61 Member
    I sometimes do fasting for spiritual reasons. I will join you in this, although I usually fast from dinner one night until dinner the next night. I will agree to fast from tonight until tomorrow night. I am fasting and praying for my sister who is very sick in the hospital. I find it shrinks my stomach and I want to eat less. However, I know roadstergirlie and she is very thin, but healthy and she looks nice. However, sometimes smaller people have a harder time getting their weight down, so they resort to drastic measures. I am a recovered anorexic and bulimic, and I was only able to get down to 90 pounds at my sickest, and I was dying. I am 5'2'' and would be happy to weigh between 115 and 120. From my own personal experience I would still advise care ( and prayer) in this undertaking.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Oh hey, Fernie. How ya doing?
  • izzyooo
    izzyooo Posts: 24 Member
    Hi, I have just started alternate day fasting (500 calories one day and relaxed the next day) so would love to chat to others doing the same. As for the is it healthy or not arguement, I don't believe enough research has been done to say for sure but current thinking is that there are many health benefits besides from the weight loss. Also, I'm hugely overweight (7stone) so if this way of dieting works for me and gets me to a "healthy" weight then in the long term it's got to be better! :)
  • MayonnaiseJane
    My primal-eating friend disdomnu has set me straight, with some documentation regarding how that this can in fact be done safely, twice a week is a bit much he says, but not overkilly dangerous, so I'll retract my comment and apologize. It sounded like a drastic measure to take for someone already inside the healthy range, but yeah... I'm getting bothered on another thread right now because someone else thinks I'm not eating enough calories, (I have a really low TDEE!!!) and that sucks and I'm sorry I did it to you. Newbie mistake. I won't be an *kitten* like that again.

8^)
  • mowree
    mowree Posts: 74 Member
    I do IF and have gotten good results so far. It's a good tool for weight loss. Being short and trying to eat at a deficit is hard to do when your daily calories are already low. Feel free to add me.
  • SergeiKay
    SergeiKay Posts: 90 Member
    don't listent to people who are hating on IF without trying it :)
    there are many ways to do it, i personally go with LeanGains approach of 16 hours fasting - 8 eating, and for me body fat plummeted, but i still have all of my strength while lifting.

There's not much point adding me, cause i've stopped logging as i eat the exact same thing every day and eyeball portions, so i guess the point of my post is to say - good for you! haha
  • DeadsandOats
    DeadsandOats Posts: 25 Member
    don't listent to people who are hating on IF without trying it :)
    there are many ways to do it, i personally go with LeanGains approach of 16 hours fasting - 8 eating, and for me body fat plummeted, but i still have all of my strength while lifting.

There's not much point adding me, cause i've stopped logging as i eat the exact same thing every day and eyeball portions, so i guess the point of my post is to say - good for you! haha

I do what he does.