Protein vs Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
Hello!

I am looking to supplement my diet with either protein or meal replacement shakes. They wouldn't be for every meal, at max twice a day. I just got a trainer and will be lifting 2-3 times a week. Is there a big difference between the two types of shakes besides vitamins? I already take a multi so that doesn't concern me as much. Also, any suggestions on a certain brand?

Thanks!

Replies

• looopyloops
    looopyloops Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference between these products, you have to do your research and find what is the best choice for you. Some of these shakes are pure crap and some are really good. I went to the local health food store to check out what they had and what would work for me, one that used stevia as a sweetner and had a lower fat content then many of the options.
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I reccomend going into someplace like GNC and talking to someone. Meal replacement shakes and protein shakes are very different, and there are different types of each. They should be able to recommend something that fits your goals and lifestyle. They might even be able to let you sample some.

ETA: I got GNC's chocolate 100% whey protein powder; it's good for a stand-alone protein shake. Then I discovered BiPro's unflavored protein powder; it has no flavor and no added sweetener, so I can add it into just about anything.
  • Yolanda4160
    Yolanda4160 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I reccomend going into someplace like GNC and talking to someone. Meal replacement shakes and protein shakes are very different, and there are different types of each. They should be able to recommend something that fits your goals and lifestyle. They might even be able to let you sample some.

ETA: I got GNC's chocolate 100% whey protein powder; it's good for a stand-alone protein shake. Then I discovered BiPro's unflavored protein powder; it has no flavor and no added sweetener, so I can add it into just about anything.

I too use GNC AMP whey powder protein. It's a low calorie protein powder. The vanilla tastes just like cake!!! and the chocolate is delish too. It fills me up so I use it as a meal replacement. :smile:
  • teampugador
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.

I was planning on going to GNC this weekend. I just don't want to get upsold for no reason lol
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I prefer Isopure. It tends to dissolve much cleaner in water than some of the GNC standard issue powders, which means you can just stir it with a spoon and don't need to blend it.

Costs a bit more but worth it IMO. And this is for protein powders, not meal replacement.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Word of advice... if the people at GNC recommend a brand that other places carry, compare prices. They are a rip-off for a lot of products. My protein is twice the price there than it is else where.
  • kclarkss
    kclarkss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I tried ViSalis, (sp?) and it was expensive. I then went to using Whey Protein and followed the same plan as ViSalis and to me it works the same.

IMO Whey Protein is better and cheaper.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Word of advice... if the people at GNC recommend a brand that other places carry, compare prices. They are a rip-off for a lot of products. My protein is twice the price there than it is else where.

^^^ I will never ever shop at GNC... Such a rip off!! Even with their gold card - which you pay for!!
  • Mare7560
    Options
    I would suggest using IdealShape products. Their shakes are delicious but more important they contain 13 grams of protein, 19 vitamins and minerals, a strong hunger blocker and very low sugar. They also have many smoothie recipes that help change it up and their customer support is fantastic.

Not only that but they have a brain training program that helps you get your head in the game so to speak. I have been struggling with diets for a long time and most of the reason is because I sabotage myself. Ugh! I didn't realize that until I looked into their whole program. There is nothing else out there like it.

One last thing. They are very very affordable. About $1.50 a shake.
  • YuriBodrov
    Options
    calories are calories, Id prefer to go with a protein shake and a salad with some olive oil.
    You'd have a high protein intake, some carbs from the salad, and some healthy fats from the olive oil.

But no, it won't matter if you drink a shake twice a day.
    I usually take in the morning and after training. And some casein before bed!
  • ganaz23
    ganaz23 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I get the Lean Shakes from GNC.
  • LauraSchaller
    LauraSchaller Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I use a meal replacement shake for breakfast - 230 cals, 22g protein and packed with vitamins & minerals and absolutely LOVE it! It just depends on what works for you.. I only do one a day (I fail miserably if I try 2 shakes a day.. I get super hungry.. I think my body/mind needs that actual "eating" feeling to feel full) but everyone is different! Run some things past your trainer and ask for his advice!

My 2 cents though - skip ViSalus shakes. I tried them for a month and went back to what I'm on now (you can msg me about the brand I'm on if you want! I can't say it here or they'll ban me lol) Visalus did nothing for me.. but it does work for some people!
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    calories are calories, Id prefer to go with a protein shake and a salad with some olive oil.
    You'd have a high protein intake, some carbs from the salad, and some healthy fats from the olive oil.

But no, it won't matter if you drink a shake twice a day.
    I usually take in the morning and after training. And some casein before bed!

^^this^^ you can throw different things in your protein shake to make it a meal replacement; skim milk, ground flax, nuts, peanut butter, oatmeal, etc. if I use one for a meal replacement, I try to keep it around 400 cals
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Get your calories from real food, and use protein powder to top off your protein to meet your goals. MRP's won't help you develop the healthy eating habits that you'll need to maintain your your gains (or loss). That's why the Slimfast and other shake diets have such poor long term success rates. Use this site to monitor your calorie and macro intake. It's quite simple once you've done it for a few weeks.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    <quote from Misk60>
    I would suggest using <product spam deleted> products. Their shakes are delicious but more important they contain 13 grams of protein, 19 vitamins and minerals, a strong hunger blocker and very low sugar. They also have many smoothie recipes that help change it up and their customer support is fantastic.

Not only that but they have a brain training program that helps you get your head in the game so to speak. I have been struggling with diets for a long time and most of the reason is because I sabotage myself. Ugh! I didn't realize that until I looked into their whole program. There is nothing else out there like it.

Go to <website spam link deleted> and check into it.

One last thing. They are very very affordable. About $1.50 a shake.
    15 posts to MFP in 6 months, every single one of them basically an infomercial for this one particular product. Seems legit.
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    BIG difference, the meal replacements are usually loaded with either fat or carbs. Find a good protein mix or bb's shakeo and use skim milk as a mixer.
  • msfitness34
    Options
    Herbalife has be best tasting and best quality meal replacements and protein shakes. My favorites are the mint chocolate chip and Pumpkin spice. You can also drink the shake hot. https://www.GoHerbalife.com/jfitwellness/en-US
  • ruhenamiah
    Options
    I have just started this! I do herbalife in the morning for breakfast which is a meal replacement shake, about 220 cals, 19g protein and 17g carbs. At lunch i normally have a whole grain salad or some grilled chicken with steamed veges. After the gym and for dinner, i take GRS-5 protein shake which is about 203 cals, 43g protein and 0.2g carbs (yess) so literally pure protein! I dont need carb at this time, this is post gym and sooner/later i want to hit the sack!

I think it is a really good idea and that you SHOULD do both!
  • sandyreich
    sandyreich Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi. Can you please share with me the brand of your shakes? I'm looking for a good tasting chocolate protein/meal replacement shake. Thanks :)

Sandy