I need protein ratio advice, please!

Options
raleigh
raleigh Posts: 87 Member
Hi Guys,
I really need some advice here.

I have been tracking my foods online for more than a couple years at this site and another one before i found MFP, to try and lose 5-10 (max) lbs. And so far, with 1200 cals, I haven't been successful for more than a small amount of time! Recently i raised my cals to 1400, (lose 1/2 lb a week) thinking maybe my metabolism was needing more food.

I am getting so frustrated because I am a runner, I work out well and often, and I really haven't been cheating myself in terms of going over numbers...yet I still have not lost my extra weight. My mom who is knowledgeable in nutrition suggested a high protein diet to switch things up, but i don't know what to do. High protein sounds like a good idea for a bit, but it seems unsustainable to me because I love to eat many fruits. I am also suspected gluten intolerant, so do you think this is a reason I am retaining weight?

I am 5'3" about 128. Any advice you have is so greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Raleigh

Replies

• mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    If you're exercising (running) you should be eating (at least!) 1200 NET calories.

High protein doesn't have to mean low carb, but high protein is great for building muscle. Don't the runners or cyclists you know before a big race "carb load"? I don't think high protein would be right for you. ~25-35% is fine.

edit: my wife is the same height and about ~13 lbs less than you. Yesterday she ran 9 miles and ate ~1900 cals, but only netted 1200. If you were to only eat 1400 you wouldn't be fueling your body!
  • raleigh
    Options
    Thanks, I know! I need carbs to run well!

What do you (or anyone) think I should do about that extra weight I'm carrying?
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Run your body on a 250 cal deficit (.5 lb/week) so you should be NETTING ~1400 cals a day. This should speed up your metabolism and let you finish off the last few pounds. My wife is only a few lbs from her goal so she has her goal at maintenance cals so that when she runs 5+ miles and doesn't eat all her cals, she slowly melts off that little bit that's left.
  • raleigh
    Options
    thanks mvl for your answers!

does anyone else have insight??
  • raleigh
    Options
    i really need help here.