How MFP defines sugar

Options
TKRV
TKRV Posts: 165 Member
I recently read an article about sneaky sugars which had this interesting tid-bit of information

"Nutritionally speaking, there’s not a huge difference between different types of sneaky sugars so knowing the pseudonyms is half the battle. While there are more than 50 names for the sweet stuff, common tricky ones include brown rice syrup, barley malt, caramel, fructose, fruit juice concentrate, and anything involving corn syrup.?"

When I look at the substances MFP claims I have taken in, I pay special attention to fats and sugars. Do you think they are counting these things when they list grams of sugar, or are the evading MFP's notice?

Replies

• sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I hope they are accounting for all the sugars.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    MFP goes by the nutritional label not the ingredient list
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    They basically have to be otherwise the macros would not agree to the calories. (assuming entered correctly from the nutrition labels which is often hit and miss for user entries)
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    All of those 'sneaky' ingredients show up as grams of sugar in the nutritional information listed- no matter how the ingredient label reads. "Sugar" is pretty well defined by chemistry, and regulated for diabetics. Whether it comes from beet juice, table sugar, or agave nectar, sugar will show up as sugar.

The argument if nutritional information can be trusted is a subject for a whole different discussion....but it's the best information you're going to get.
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    So, if I am reading the all correctly, on a nutrition label, grams of sugar take into account all the various ingredients that are essentially sugar.

But, let's say I eat something that says "sugar free," when, in fact, some of the ingredients will turn into sugar in my body. Those grams of sugar are not on the nutritional label and are therefore not calculated by MFP.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    MFP goes by the nutritional label not the ingredient list

This! The nutritional label should be including all those things as sugars.
  • PrettyGirlsOnFire
    PrettyGirlsOnFire Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This might seem rude, but... how would MFP magically know how many grams of sugar your unique body chemistry would convert those ingredients into?

Just sayin'.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MFP doesn't calculate, it takes the values AS entered by the user who created the food item you're using.
    Where we "really" get a problem is the companies that play with serving sizes, making the serving unusually small so they can mark it as 0 fat that 0 grams of fat could be anything less than 0.5 grams of fat, so if it's an item that at their serving size would be 0.4 grams of fat they can mark it as 0, you think you're doing great and eat the package because it's "0 fat"

that's where the "nutritional info per 100 grams" may have came from, it's a "standard" serving size as much as the "2000 calorie diet" that the nutrition labels are based on come from (percentages of vitamins as part of your DV) come from and at 100 gram serving size you eliminate most of the "0 grams of fat" games.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    So, if I am reading the all correctly, on a nutrition label, grams of sugar take into account all the various ingredients that are essentially sugar.

But, let's say I eat something that says "sugar free," when, in fact, some of the ingredients will turn into sugar in my body. Those grams of sugar are not on the nutritional label and are therefore not calculated by MFP.

You are over-thinking this.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

They're called carbohydrates. They're also listed.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

You don't want a blood glucose of 0
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options

The main item your body turns into sugar is starch, and that is counted separately; unless you're diabetic, don't worry about it. It'll be counted under your carb grams.

"sugar free" means no sugar added, and no naturally occurring sugars.
    "no sugar added" means there may be naturally occurring sugars. If I buy orange juice, it may say "no sugar added" but it definitely has sugar in it; it is sugar that naturally occurs in the oranges.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about sugar. I just keep track of carbohydrates, protein, and fats, as well as total calories. It's best to enjoy life and keep things simple.
  • made2bslim
    made2bslim Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    They definitely are accounting for all sugars as long as you are tracking it, it takes it into account.. Basically tells me i'm over each day and i don't even use sugar. this is just from the sugar in my yogurt or my food.. Like for example Sun dried tomatoes. So i would trust it as long as you are tracking it correctly
  • made2bslim
    made2bslim Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There is really no way this tool wil know how to convert processed foods or carbs into the sugar .. This will just be an estimate. If you eat a lot of processed food and do not exercise then yes regardless it will turn into sugar even if this wasn't party of the calculations. I don't think it's taht detailed.. Just have to use your own judgement and stay away from processed foods and eat real food. Just my opinion..