How many calories for Hot Yoga?

Options
I am just starting using this app. I do hot yoga every Tuesday night for 60 minutes. It is a workout! How many calories would that be?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
  • Workinthis1
    Options

Thank you! How did you figure that out?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I love hot yoga, you work your butt off! I've always guesstimated at a conservative 300 calories. But the only way to know for sure is a by using a HRM (heart rate monitor).
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I love hot yoga, you work your butt off! I've always guesstimated at a conservative 300 calories. But the only way to know for sure is a by using a HRM (heart rate monitor).

I don't think it works right for that since hot yoga isn't cardio.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    The online calculators say something like 700-800 calories for 1:15-1:30 hours of hot yoga. I half it and put something like 400 calories burned into MFP Here is a calculator. Choose yoga then it will give you an option for hot.
    http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/Calories_Burned.asp
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    The same as regular temperature yoga.
  • Workinthis1
    Options

Thank you! I don't think the heart rate monitor would work either since it isn't cardio. Awesome job on the weight loss!
  • Workinthis1
    Options
    The online calculators say something like 700-800 calories for 1:15-1:30 hours of hot yoga. I half it and put something like 400 calories burned into MFP Here is a calculator. Choose yoga then it will give you an option for hot.
    http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/Calories_Burned.asp

So, I looked it up on the site. For my weight and the length of the class. It said 450. I might back it down a bit from that. Say 350 just to be on the safe side. But, I am not going to eat a bunch of junk food to waste those calories! I might have a banana when I get home! Thank you!
  • Workinthis1
    Options
    The same as regular temperature yoga.

I am sure you are right. I just didn't know where to begin to find out how much to put. Too bad I don't drop the weight like I sweat in there. Thank you!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I take pilates in a hot room and burn between 350 to 450 depending on the class. I do wear my HRM.
  • Workinthis1
    Options
    I take pilates in a hot room and burn between 350 to 450 depending on the class. I do wear my HRM.

Do you really think having a HRM helps you in using this app better?
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options

Do you really think having a HRM helps you in using this app better?
    I do but that's the only way I've ever tracked my calories burned, my HRM and previously a Bodybugg. I don't rely on this app for that. Whenever I do machines they always over estimate my calories by 100 to 150.
  • _babyfox
    _babyfox Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    it depends on the type of yoga, but if its hot vinyasa flow yoga or bikrim, or something similar, a 60 min class would burn over 400some calories. wayyyy more than regular yoga.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    it depends on the type of yoga, but if its hot vinyasa flow yoga or bikrim, or something similar, a 60 min class would burn over 400some calories. wayyyy more than regular yoga.

I don't doubt this, but has this eer been proved? Sure, your heart beats faster but has this figure actually been measured somehow or is it nearer to wishful thinking. Also depends on how much effort the individual puts in - you could be just hanging out in nice stretches in the heat or really working it in a normal class.
  • thanyafit
    thanyafit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't think it works right for that since hot yoga isn't cardio.

I don't think this is true. Just a broad definition of Cardio: Cardiovascular exercise, is any activity that increases heart rate and respiration while using large muscle groups repetitively and rhythmically. (livestrong website - but it's pretty straightforward right?)

It's low-impact but I would say, especially for vinyasa, power, or bikram, your heart rate is right up there and you are definitely using large muscle groups. Many of the flows/poses are designed to vary your heart rate and blood flow. Generally the idea is that you are pushing yourself to your "edge" or limit in yoga, so you should always be getting a workout.

I agree though that it's hard to figure out calories burned - I'm pretty incredulous when the online calorie counters indicate that I've burned nearly 1000 calories in 90 minutes of Bikram at 60 kilos... I appreciate everyone's comments about HRMs, think I might look into one.
  • traceyleighgirl
    traceyleighgirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know, too. I've looked up a few online, and for a 150 pound person its like 500 calories.

No way. I got back from a 75 minute class today and I didn't feel the slighest bit like I had worked my body hard. I mean, I have to bike at 12 mph constantly for an hour to burn that many calories, and that hurts! I think the online things are wrong. I would wear my HRM but I'm too sweaty for an accurate read. Plus, I can pretty much tell that my heart isn't bursting. I only put down like 200 for 75 minutes.
  • Workinthis1
    Options
    I don't know what the accurate amount of calories that were burned is, but today I feel muscles in my hips and rear that I didn't even know existed! I sweat like I had been in that room for 5 hours! I even fell over once...yeah that was funny! And I only looked at the clock once the entire time! So, I put 350 down and left it at that cause that is what it is all about!
  • thanyafit
    thanyafit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-greenfield/yoga-weight_b_1229126.html

hmm interesting :( a little bit of research (not great evidence, but still).

I had read about the heat "fooling" your body into working hard before too.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    No it is not. your heart beats faster to assist in cooling your body from the temp. this does NOT mean you're burning more calories. Just that your heart is beating faster.

Your heart also beats faster when scared. I suppose this means we can lose more weight watching scary movies right?...
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    No it is not. your heart beats faster to assist in cooling your body from the temp. this does NOT mean you're burning more calories. Just that your heart is beating faster.

Your heart also beats faster when scared. I suppose this means we can lose more weight watching scary movies right?...

Same as sitting perfectly still in a hot sauna - your heart is going at near max but you are not burning many extra calories.