wisdom teeth removal

Options
So I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed on Thursday. Is there anything I should expect to change food wise?

Replies

• bttrflykisses820
    Options
    No idea... i assume softer foods?

I just wanted to wish you good luck!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    trying to remember when it was my boys.. no straws, that I did know. jello, yogurt, eggs? I think after a couple of days you can eat normally again.. no popcorn!! lol
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    soup! the healing time on wisdom teeth is nothin'. you'll be eating your regular stuff in no time. good luck and know the pain does subside
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I've always heard that you get to eat soft foods like ice cream for a day or two when you get your wisdom teeth out :love:

I considered getting them out each individually at 4 separate times just to be able to "have" to eat ice cream for a day each time :laugh: :blushing:
  • bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I just had mine removed on Friday morning. If you are not going to get put out I suggest a good sized breakfast. The rest of the day I slept. I ate 3 popcicles and that is it. The next day I ate some jello, yogurt, popcicles, ice cream blended to liquid, milk and I swallowed a few noodles. Today (Sunday) I had some noodles with tuna, milk, ice cream, and yogurt.

Just make sure you get a lot of water and rest! I slept about 60-70% of this weekend! Good luck!
  • workoutqueen628
    Options
    Definitely a good way to lose weight...you won't be able to eat solid foods for a few days. Stick with jello, yogurt, pudding, smoothies, and other liquids- all that good, healthy stuff!! I got mine out and I lived off smoothies for a few days!! It was amazing. Good luck, don't be scared, it's really not bad at all. Oh and also, take time to rest. Don't expect to do any exercise for at least a week.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Soup and soft food for the first couple of days. You should also avoid strenuous exercise - your dentist will give you specific instructions but here is some general information what to do and what to avoid:

http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/kb/content/surgicaldetail/tm6328.html

Best of luck; hope all goes well and you'll be better in no time! :flowerforyou:
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of dairy products but its such a great source of protein and carbs. What else would work?
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Great thread, all my wisdom teeth are impacted and I'm gonna need dental surgery for them, it's good to know what to expect for eating when the time comes.
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Great thread, all my wisdom teeth are impacted and I'm gonna need dental surgery for them, it's good to know what to expect for eating when the time comes.

Same for me. I'm supposed to be scheduling an appointment with an oral surgeon, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Have to have a crown replaced, too -- because the first three times the tooth was worked on, other dentists didn't do their job right. <sigh>
  • B4its2L8
    B4its2L8 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Everyone deals with it differently. I had 3 cut out at the same time and ate pizza that night. I only took pain pills the day of the surgery and took tylenol the rest of the time. I just didn't chew in the back but other than that I was fine.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options

Same for me. I'm supposed to be scheduling an appointment with an oral surgeon, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Have to have a crown replaced, too -- because the first three times the tooth was worked on, other dentists didn't do their job right. <sigh>

Yea, I was supposed to already have the appointment scheduled, I just haven't yet. I don't have dental insurance currently, so until I do it'll have to come out of my pocket and I can't afford it right now. They're not hurting me yet, but I know they will.
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    What you eat may depend on whether or not you get stitches. Some surgeons leave the wound open and allow it to heal naturally, some stitch it up. If yours are left open, you'll be given a little syringe to irrigate them so that food particles don't get stuck in there. I went this route and was told to avoid things with berries, i.e. smoothies with strawberries, etc. as those little seeds on the outside get easily stuck in the wounds and can cause extreme discomfort.

Also, wish I hadn't gotten them out two days before my 21st birthday... totally ruined my trip to Vegas.

My friend just got hers done and although she's capable of chewing more solid foods, she still has so much swelling that she can't open her mouth wide enough to get certain things like sandwiches in. Make sure you have a few options available!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    The only thing I remember is do not suck on anything. I got dry sockets from sucking on m&m's. They didn't melt in the mouth fast enough.
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Yea, I was supposed to already have the appointment scheduled, I just haven't yet. I don't have dental insurance currently, so until I do it'll have to come out of my pocket and I can't afford it right now. They're not hurting me yet, but I know they will.

I was without dental insurance for YEARS. The first time I ever saw a dentist I was 18 -- and that was only AFTER a cavity got so bad that the tooth chipped down past the gum line and exposed the nerve. My parents weren't big on dental care. :ohwell:

I'm lucky enough to have insurance now, though I don't know how much of the procedure will be covered (another reason I need to make the appointment! :laugh:) I've been told by every dentist I've seen in the last 10 years that my wisdom teeth need to come out -- fortunately they only bother me a couple times a year, but apparently I'm starting to lose bone and am at risk for infections. It definitely time for them to come out. I'll probably be calling the oral surgeon tomorrow to set my initial appointment.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    glad this thread got made! Im supposed to get mine out asap but no insurance and not having a few 1000 bucks for all 4 bein impacted means im putting it off. ill be back here when the time comes so i wont feel so miserable about not being able to eat anything solid!
  • monkey_2
    monkey_2 Posts: 19
    Options
    I got all four removed a few months ago, and it went really well. As far as foods go, absolutely no using straws or sucking, or eating hard things like nuts, popcorn, potato chips, etc. The hardest part for me was being so hungry because the soft foods weren't really doing it for me. I would definately recommend mashed potatoes, they really helped fill me up. I got the ones in the tub at safeway (probably full of butter) but they were really good and easy to eat. Once I was ready to eat more solid foods, I had scrambled eggs, meat loaf, noodles, stuff that isn't hard to eat with your front teeth. When you go back a week later for the check up, they'll give you a syringe to irrigate the openings and keep food out, so you can pretty much eat whatever you want then. (At first I was really grossed out by the irigating part, but it got better)
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options

My wisdom teeth were also extremely impacted. I was pretty messed up for a good couple weeks. Because they had to remove so much bone, my face was swollen for those entire two weeks. I couldn't eat solid food or even smile (not to mention all the vicodin making me loopie). Avoid dry-socket as ALL costs! This was over 9 years ago and I am still terrified of the dentist and probably will be forever. Don't mean to scare you.....but it was one of the worst experiences of my life.
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, the pain really isn't unbearable and you'll be back to eating solid foods in no time. Mine were horribly impacted - in fact they had to break them all in my mouth and take them out in pieces.....but I was eating regular food (much slower and more carefully I might add) within 4-5 days. I didn't even get any pain medicine.

One thing to keep in mind is that after your surgery your whole face will be numb. My mom stopped and got me a milkshake on the way home after I got mine out. I was in the passenger seat eating it when she looked over at me and started cracking up. I looked in the mirror and had milkshake ALL OVER myself!:laugh:
  • monkey_2
    monkey_2 Posts: 19
    Options
    haha, that's terrible! I completly forgot about the numbness, but I remember now that I kept touching my face (because it's weird to have no feeling) and my sister, who works at a dentists office, told me not to rub my face because you can irritate your skin and make it really red without even knowing it.