How do you keep from getting bored?

Options
So I am FINALLY going to start working out everyday... my husband goes to the gym every morning so I am just going to tag along with him and do an hour on the eliptical or treadmill while he does his thing....

my question is how do you keep from getting bored?? I have always gotten so bored after 15 or 20 minutes of cardio... I can't seem to read (dont know how others do it because I bob up and down and can't keep my focus! haha) and music doesn't keep me entertained... do you watch movies?? tv shows?? tell me your secrets!!!

Replies

• dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    So I am FINALLY going to start working out everyday... my husband goes to the gym every morning so I am just going to tag along with him and do an hour on the eliptical or treadmill while he does his thing....

my question is how do you keep from getting bored?? I have always gotten so bored after 15 or 20 minutes of cardio... I can't seem to read (dont know how others do it because I bob up and down and can't keep my focus! haha) and music doesn't keep me entertained... do you watch movies?? tv shows?? tell me your secrets!!!

Try picking up some heavy weights with your husband. I'm sure he would be thrilled if you joined him.
  • Tinytaru
    Tinytaru Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to read (dont know how others do it because I bob up and down and can't keep my focus! haha) and music doesn't keep me entertained... do you watch movies?? tv shows?? tell me your secrets!!!

I had the problem at the treadmill too when reading a normal book, so I bought an e-book, helped much as you can adjust the font size :)
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree with dzarello. Go with your hubby to the gym and lift.

I recommend alternating lifting and running for 5 days week. Running 5 days a week sounds very boring and by your original post, you wont be motivated to keep it up for very long. Either run for 3 days and lift for 2 or lift 3 days a week and run for 2. For me, I alternate running and lifting 6 days a week (I find that my weight loss seems to come more from the cardio days than the lifting days but that could just be water weight).

As for your original question, I walk/run on the treadmill 3 days/week. For my 3 mile distance, I walk fast for a 1/4 mile, then run for a 1/4 mile, and alternate until 3 miles are completed (takes about 30-33 minutes). When I originally began exercising, I would only be able to complete a mile (took 12-15 minutes). Over time, I gradually increased my distance by 1/4 mile until stopping at 3 miles. After that, I worked on increasing how fast I walked and ran.

For entertainment, I keep the treadmill's monitor to a tv show (closed caption) or to a sports event to help pass the time. One can either wear headphones if you wish to hear what is being said on tv, or without and listen to the music playing in the gym. I find that watching tv helps pass the half hour.

On a side note, you dont need to be on the treadmill for 45 min to an hour in order to lose weight. As long as you push yourself on the treadmill (and dont hang on to the machine), you can get a nice workout in 20-30 minutes. The key is to keep pushing yourself either in intensity (how fast the treadmill is set at) or duration (1 mile, then a month later increase it gradually to 2 miles, etc).

If a treadmill is not to your liking, most gyms have ellipticals and stationary bikes. If none of those three interest you, the larger gyms have numerous cardio classes. Also, larger gyms have swimming pools, basketball, tennis and racketball courts. Please don't think that cardio must mean endless hours on the treadmill.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Podcasts, like No Agenda, This Week in Tech...there's so many based on what you're interested in. Kept my mind sane while I did the gym thing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Well, I prevent boredom by not going to a gym and using boring machines. I do a variety of exercises because I get bored if I do the same thing all the time, and I exercise at home or outside.

Hiking, calisthenics, a variety of DVDs and video games, jump rope, walk, run, etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to read (dont know how others do it because I bob up and down and can't keep my focus! haha) and music doesn't keep me entertained... do you watch movies?? tv shows?? tell me your secrets!!!

I had the problem at the treadmill too when reading a normal book, so I bought an e-book, helped much as you can adjust the font size :)

You could also get audiobooks.
  • Flamenquero
    Options
    Concentrate on the exercise and you shouldn't get bored. Also think about your objectives.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    20 -30 min of cardio...and start strength training, weights, core work...I just figured this out, wish I started a long time ago..I was a cardio queen, 1 hour everyday at least, now I do 30 min max, and 40 -50 min of strength training, time flies by much faster and you'll get better results
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Go outside. The weather changes, the scenery can change, and it's a good way to come up with creative ways to strength train.
  • Belliny
    Options
    When i used to go to the gym, my ipod and my cell phone were my friends, could not go without them! i love music...it's like my passion...
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Split the workout up...lifting weights is great and you get good results!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Easy. I don't do boring things.
  • XoXoLJFitness
    Options
    Make a certain playlist that only included music that you can jam out to. Also, check your gym to see if there are any classes offered to change up your routine. Do you change up your pace within your workouts as well such as jogging 5 min at 5.0 and 10 min at 6.0 continued on for however long you want to work out. I would get bored myself staying on the same machine for so long as my fitness isn't to that level and either is my attention span. Good luck.
  • EmmaleighM
    EmmaleighM Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    yea. I know the whole dont do boring stuff... you dont have to just do the treadmill... all that jazz...

classes aren't an option due to my work schedule and my hubby works out with another guy.. I might tag along with their weight lifting every now and then, but they're a lot further along and I dont wanna tie them up..

so eliptical and treadmill are my options for now

not complaining at all.. just the facts. just looking for a way to have fun on the eliptical or treadmill!
  • EmmaleighM
    EmmaleighM Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    and thanks to everyone for your advice!! =)
  • SofaKingRad_
    Options
    I see how long I can stare at girls in yoga pants without blinking. Then I try to beat the previous best time. Doing this while working out is very effective because time flies rather quickly.
  • crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    music, changing up your routine or just taking that time to think about what you want. hey, it's you time!!! It's like being at the spa! What what...

:)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I see how long I can stare at girls in yoga pants without blinking. Then I try to beat the previous best time. Doing this while working out is very effective because time flies rather quickly.
    lol
  • maybabier
    maybabier Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    1. Try a class they offer. Spin, kickboxing, yoga, zumba, weight lifting.
    2. Get outside when the weather is nice. I find it much easier to run 10 mi outside than half a mi on treadmill.
    3. Watch netflix! I once watched an episode of Grey's Anatomy on stairmaster. You are more stationary on stairmaster than treadmill or eliptical, and trust me u can burn a LOT on stairs.

Once you find a class or something in the gym you like to do, you won't get bored. Time flies for me in the gym. That's when the fun starts!!! :)
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good music helps. I too get bored to death on the cardio machines, so what I do is 20 minutes on the precore, 20 minutes on the treadmill and 20 minutes on the spin bike. Then I lift weights and do my abdominal work. Change it up, vary your music and vary your workouts. Try a spin class or a zumba class, lift weights.