How do you keep from getting bored?

Options
2»

Replies

• iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    So I am FINALLY going to start working out everyday... my husband goes to the gym every morning so I am just going to tag along with him and do an hour on the eliptical or treadmill while he does his thing....

my question is how do you keep from getting bored?? I have always gotten so bored after 15 or 20 minutes of cardio... I can't seem to read (dont know how others do it because I bob up and down and can't keep my focus! haha) and music doesn't keep me entertained... do you watch movies?? tv shows?? tell me your secrets!!!

I like to do intervals- walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes at say, a medium pace, will get boring. But if you start out at a warm-up pace, do 2 minutes at the next pace, 2 minutes at the next pace, etc until you are running, and then work back down, you get more of a workout and it keeps it interesting. You can also try walking for a few minutes, then running, then walking, running, etc. Switching it up like that really helps. I do like to watch TV while I am on the elliptical while I do intervals- the combination of both make the time fly by. I can do 45 minutes and not be bored at all.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I see how long I can stare at girls in yoga pants without blinking. Then I try to beat the previous best time. Doing this while working out is very effective because time flies rather quickly.

Visine helps with the skills.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    SQUAT!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you don't need to lift with your husband, but you need to have someone show you how to properly squat and dead lift. overhead press and bench press too. tell him it'll only be to learn the moves. if he is unwilling, get a trainer. those four lifts should be staples of your routine.

a fun way to get new routines is to sign up for WODs. that is Workout Of the Day. you can get them from a number of sites, such as crossfit and spartan race. you get them emailed to you, and it's a fun way to add something different to the routine.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    I see how long I can stare at girls in yoga pants without blinking. Then I try to beat the previous best time. Doing this while working out is very effective because time flies rather quickly.

Visine helps with the skills.

thats like using weight lifting gloves. it's kinda cheating.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    yea. I know the whole dont do boring stuff... you dont have to just do the treadmill... all that jazz...

classes aren't an option due to my work schedule and my hubby works out with another guy.. I might tag along with their weight lifting every now and then, but they're a lot further along and I dont wanna tie them up..

so eliptical and treadmill are my options for now

not complaining at all.. just the facts. just looking for a way to have fun on the eliptical or treadmill!

No. Elliptical and treadmill are not your only options.

Go into the weights section and lift. You don't need to be fully supervised. Get your husband to help you with form on your first visit and then do your own thing.

If you need a place to start New Rules of Lifting for Women, StrongLifts or Starting Strength will help you.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    my question is how do you keep from getting bored??
    Ask your husband.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    my question is how do you keep from getting bored??
    Ask your husband.

Do you think he is holding her purse right now??
  • Drewillbeback111
    Options
    My gym has a cardio theater (Golds) if yours doesn't, try tv or something. Without a good movie or something I quit after 15 min. With a movie I can go an hour... on the eliptical that is LOL
  • socomary
    Options
    Podcasts, especially when I'm walking the dog, or doing the "slower" stuff. If I'm running (even on the treadmill), it's music I listen to.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I listen to music, watch movies on netflix, or text or browse my fb lol, I guess it depends on which exercise I am doing at the time. :wink:
  • n_rockey
    n_rockey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ideally I walk outside, but when I can't I pick a TV show that is a guilty pleasure and allow myself to watch it when I'm working out. I watch Days of Our Lives, which takes about 45 minutes when I watch it online. So if I watch 2 episodes I can get to the 1 1/2 hours that I try to put in walking.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    How do I keep from getting bored? I'll play the music or videos on my iPod. When I hear music in my ears, it makes the time go faster for me. :glasses:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    For most people…

Eating the same healthy meals on a regular basis is boring.

Getting stronger with squats, pull ups, and push ups is boring.

Going for a simple walk every morning is boring.

Going to bed and getting up on time is boring.

Understanding that eating right is 80% of the battle is boring.

Saying no to sweets, politely declining desert, and skipping office candy is boring.

Doing the same thing, day in and day out, for months and months, is boring.

So…health companies make things exciting!

shake_weight-590x345.jpg

There are new miracle foods each week that promise to banish belly fat!

There are daily articles telling you the five easy tips for fast weight loss!

There are new DVDs with killer workouts and muscle confusion that target your abs and thighs!

There are magazines with new workout plans and diet plans that change every week!

There are technologically advanced shoes that promise to tone your posterior!

And for those people that love these exciting things, they get to be excited for the next best thing each week.

And for those people that love these exciting things, they get to stay unhealthy, chasing the next cure.

Boring isn’t very marketable

Boring does not sell magazine subscriptions, advertisements, or DVDs. Boring is silent, unwavering progress.

Boring is sticking to the same routine week after week, month after month.

Boring means not freaking out when stepping on the scale and the number is slightly off.

Boring means making small, repeated improvements to an otherwise unmoving and determined schedule.

Boring is replacing grand declarations of drastic change with tiny habit changes over long periods of time.

So what happens when you get good at boring?

Saint embraced boring:

Screen-Shot-2012-06-25-at-10.14.12-PM.jpg

Staci kicked some boring *kitten*:

Screen-Shot-2012-02-16-at-1.44.44-AM.jpg

Joe rocked at being boring:

Screen-Shot-2012-02-21-at-7.22.09-PM.jpg

Be boring

Boring leads to weight loss.

Boring leads to strength and power.

Boring leads to increased productivity.

Boring leads to success and habit change that actually stick.

Boring actually works.

Sometimes, boring can be f***ing awesome.

This is one of those times.

Go be boring.
  • starcyndycyn
    Options
    I take a lot of classes at my gym, and vary them! I also change my routines often, do different dvds at home, and basically constantly keep my body guessing--it makes it a lot better than doing the same thing every single day.
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I love to read, so for me that's my number one thing to do on the treadmill, but there are some days I can't seem to focus. I have a kindle fire and I have netflix. I watch a couple of 22 minute sitcoms and by the time I look at the time, I've been on the treadmill almost an hour!!!

Good luck to you on your journey :)