How to avoid buff arms!?

I love my part-time retail job. And my job is appreciating my physical endurance. I'm not as strong as the guys, but for a girl, I can lift and maneuver heavy loads (25-60lb loads) quite efficiently. But I certainly have to build up strength to lift over my shoulder.

I was thinking today how my arms are already muscular, in a way where its okay for a female, but wouldn't want any more. Its not even the amount of muscle, but the distribution. I've heard its good to build muscle for metabolism blah blah, women don't gain muscle like men (not true, I have PCOS and too much testosterone haha), and even to choose a different exercise altogether. Obviously the last isn't an option...but maybe there's something I can do to avoid gaining so much arm muscle? This job is 2 days a week max.

And the cosmetic issue isn't up for debate with me (you guys go ahead) I just want to know if its avoidable. Maybe postponing my protein intake?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    You can avoid buff arms by not taking steroids or testosterone supplements.
  • electricmeow
    electricmeow Posts: 68 Member
    don't know if you're saying that toward me or in general. i have higher testosterone because of cysts on my ovaries. no steroids here.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    don't know if you're saying that toward me or in general. i have higher testosterone because of cysts on my ovaries. no steroids here.

Yes, but still immensely below the testosterone required for your arms to get hyooge.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    I have PCOS and even with the additional androgen/testosterone I still haven't gotten to the point where I look like Ah-nold Schwarzenegger so frankly, my dear, don't worry about it.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    I guarantee your arms will not get too buff. Men, who have the genetic disposition, hit the gym regularly with the INTENT of building their arms, and eat a ton of protein, have a hard time building their arms. You don't need to worry
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    You won't get buff you will just be more toned. I don't think women or men for matter becomes buff unless they deliberately bulk up by eating big and taking supplements.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Cut down protein intake. Add more aerobic activities.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    You are not going to get hulk arms at a 2 day a week job as a female.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Honestly, with heavy lifting two to three times a week for almost a year and a half, my arms have only gotten smaller. Sure, there's a nice little bump when I'm flexing, but other than that, just a sleek, sexy arm.

You still have 16 pounds you want to lose. That's going to make a bigger difference in the size of your arms than any amount of lifting.

Typically, there's two extremes where women's arms look unappealing to some women. When there's excess body fat, and when there's not enough. When there's excess fat, the woman look burly. When there's very low fat, the muscles show a lot (think Madonna... she doesn't have big arms, she just has very low body fat). When you're in between... muscles just give the arms a sexy shape.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    I wish I could bulk up as easily as all these women that eat deficits.
  • emzack
    emzack Posts: 26 Member
    I would recommend doing exercises that stretch as well as work the muscles, like yoga and pilates, in conjunction with body weight bearing exercises like pushups, pull ups, dips. People will argue with you all day about whether it is possible, but I agree with you that people are just built differently and some are more muscular than others.

I'm the same way -- more muscular by nature -- and I have to watch out for the buff arm syndrome. I've had people comment on how muscular my arms were, both negative and positive comments. Since changing my routine consistent with the above, I get those comments less and that makes me happy. :)
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Even when you get stronger you probably won't get any more muscular looking. If you want a softer look keep your body fat higher.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    20120410024824!Headdesk.gif
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    I have PCOS and I lift heavy.

Really heavy. My overhead press number isn't my most impressive number but I it's nealy 100lbs.

My arms are not buff. The tops of them are still bigger than I want them to be, but that's because of fat, not muscle.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Stop eating and try not to move your arms
  • SirDoctorofTARDIS
    SirDoctorofTARDIS Posts: 113 Member
    Best thing to do for not gaining muscle is doing a lower weight 60% (roughly) of your max and more reps 15 - 20ish. This will help you lean up with out bulking up.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    I have PCOS and I lift heavy.

Really heavy. My overhead press number isn't my most impressive number but I it's nealy 100lbs.

My arms are not buff. The tops of them are still bigger than I want them to be, but that's because of fat, not muscle.

almost 100 lbs ohp? You're my hero. I can barely break 45 lbs.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    If you want to avoid buff arms don't:

be a man
    inject steroids
    walk around pumped and flexing (my profile picture is literally RIGHT after my workout. My muscles aren't so defined when I wear a sundress)
    lift heavily 3 times per week on a hypertrophy program for a period of time measured in years
    live in an alternate universe in which anyone--male or female- "accidentally" builds big muscles.

Folks need to understand when they start these threads there is a small undercurrent of insult towards those of us who are TRYING to build muscles and who work very very very very very hard for the muscles we build. There's the eww yuck factor (which you have been gracious in attempting to say, "this isn't for me, do what you want," and I do appreciate those efforts) but also the dismissing of all the hard work that it takes to build that level of fitness and muscle mass.

It literally does NOT happen by accident.
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    It's definitely harder to build in a defecit, so make sure your defecit is decent (but not stupid, you still need to net at least your BMR). I'd aim for about a 20 - 25% cut. Also, add more cardio... you're less likely to build if you're doing cardio the days you're lifting heavy at work. Don't skimp on the protein though - it might make building muscle easier but it's pretty essential for reparing the damage. The stretching / yoga / pilates suggestion is good too :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    I also have pcos and higher testosterone. I lift heavy and it only made me smaller. You are also at a deficit so impossible to gain muscle mass. I just spent 8 weeks eating a lot and I was only able to add about 2 pounds of muscle.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    I guarantee your arms will not get too buff. Men, who have the genetic disposition, hit the gym regularly with the INTENT of building their arms, and eat a ton of protein, have a hard time building their arms. You don't need to worry
    this.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    IN B4 NROLFW
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member

I have PCOS too...but not higher testosterone. Man...I wish!

I lift heavy and my arms only keep getting smaller...or nothing at all.

ps. Lady who OHPs 100lbs : You MY HERO!!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    IN B4 NROLFW
    Hahaha!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    You should post a pic so we can be the judge... I would NEVER avoid buff arms!!! Plus I have never know anyone (male/female) who's ever had a problem in keeping their arms getting buff (even some that are PCOS)....
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    I just want to say that "stretching" exercises like yoga and Pilates WILL NEVER change the shape of your muscles. EVER.

Either you have long muscles or not. It's genetic and you can't do anything about it.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    You could always gain more fat and cover up the muscle.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    I would recommend doing exercises that stretch as well as work the muscles, like yoga and pilates, in conjunction with body weight bearing exercises like pushups, pull ups, dips. People will argue with you all day about whether it is possible, but I agree with you that people are just built differently and some are more muscular than others.

I'm the same way -- more muscular by nature -- and I have to watch out for the buff arm syndrome. I've had people comment on how muscular my arms were, both negative and positive comments. Since changing my routine consistent with the above, I get those comments less and that makes me happy. :)

Oh, so you can change the length and shape of muscles now?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRC71-j7ZZLbbirVoEB2NybH2-SgoOJvSqznBX06Sk6QAsMIk1oiRp8MtzZ
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Please don't mistake "buff" arms for defined arms. There's a HUGE difference between muscle definition and muscle bulk.
  • User819
    User819 Posts: 271
    Pick up anything & everything with your feet instead of your arms.