HELP I need a mocha!

Options
I'm getting married in June and I really want to get in shape before then so I've started eating right and exercising. There one problem: I am addicted to mochas at the coffee stand. I get at least 4 a week. So my question is is there a way to still drink them and keep on my diet? Maybe if I get the reduced fat milk and sugar free syrup? Or am I just trying to justify getting one? LOL

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't have the ingredients.

Make your own and log the calories.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Just get a mocha. Use skim milk instead. Or try an americano with a pump of chocolate in it. Maybe try to have only 1 or 2 a week. Don't get whipped cream, or only get whip once a week. You don't have to completely eliminate something you love. If you're consistently eating a healthy, balanced diet, there is more than enough room to fit in the occasional treat.
  • transvenouspacer
    transvenouspacer Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Just go get one. If you try to cut out everything you like, you'll fail. Most restaurants will have nutrition information available. Find out how many calories is in your favorite drink and try it with nonfat milk and sugar free syrup. Or get it regular but get a small size. Just make sure it fits within your calorie limit for the day! :-)
  • ilovelucy727
    Options
    Keurig Cafe Escapes K-Cups are 60 calories. Doesn't come close to one from a great coffee shop, but for me it satisfies that mocha craving when I have it!
  • Ms_Chai
    Ms_Chai Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Try cutting the 4 down to 2 a week. Definitely try the reduced fat milk and sugar free syrup...if you like it then it is a win for you. If you don't, then get the regular style and make it fit into your daily calorie goal. You shouldn't have to justify eating or drinking anything....if it matters to you then you will make it work! You may just have to sacrifice in other areas (such as working out more, slower weight loss, cutting calories in other ways).
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I would try to cut down just because they are sooooo expensive!! :smile:

When I get a mocha from Starbucks, though, I get a tall skinny mocha. SF syrup, nonfat milk, no whip and it's only about 120 calories. Maybe allow yourself one a week of the full fat with whip and replace the other 3 with the skinny version. Best of luck and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I agree with making your own. I will add a half a tsp or so of plain cocoa powder to my coffee, then my normal half and half and a little sugar. I like being able to control what is going in my coffee. It helps that i dont like overly sweet coffee. For me, the calories that go in a coffee shop mocha aren't worth it. Love my coffee though!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Sugar free syrup is gross IMO. How bout skip the whip, and get one or two less pumps of the real stuff that you are used to. I definitely haven't given mine up. If I don't have enough cals to spare for my usual, I'll get an American w/ 1 pump White mocha and add a splash of cream. Its like half the price that way too.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    If you love it that much, don't deprive yourself, fit it into your cals.
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I love Mocha Freezes from the coffee stand, too. The large size that I had been getting has almost 450 calories in it, so I have switched to medium size and just getting them less frequently. I don't totally deprive myself, as that only makes me want them more.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    i ALWAYS DRINK SKINNY MOCHAS.......
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I find that if I buy a flavored coffee and a creamer flavor that I like, then it cures the craving for me and works wonders for my waistline and my budget. You could buy sugarfree hersheys syrup, or just coca powder, put that, some skim milk, and stevia in some coffee and you're good to go, I actually really like almond milk in my coffee as well.

Or if you have a caribou invest in the Mocha Java Coffee, its seriously heaven in your mouth, especially iced, and its just plain coffee.
  • chip40
    chip40 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Starbucks Venti Iced White Mocha Non Fat-No Whip is or was my addiction for at least 4-5 days out of the week on my way to work. But that single drink is a Whopping 460 Calories, basically a meal in its self because of all the sugar in the syrup. Because of that little addiction, I had difficulty losing weight and I believe helped contribute to my weight gain because before I even got my day started, I had 460 Calories going straight to my belly. Two things changed that habit: 1) We purchased a Keurig Machine and found a flavor I love (Black Tiger) and just started making my own coffee at home. I calculated with the 2 spoons of sugar and non-fat creamer it is about 120 calories a cup (alot better than 460cal). 2) Using my fitness pal, the Venti White Mocha just does not fit into my daily calorie count, I rather eat a meal than drink something. But, once in awhile I do still indulge in Starbucks but opt for a Tall (230 Cal) or a Grande (310 Cal). So I would say that either you have to find an alternative coffee with less calories that satisfies your coffee carving or opt a Tall or small Mocha, limit yourself to 1 or 2 of them a week and make it fit into your calories limits for the day.
  • neeq79
    Options
    Here's the thing, this isn't a diet, it's a life style change, and being such, you shouldn't have to give up everything you like. It's learning to fit them into your calories and make good decisions. I love Iced Chai Lattes, and I still get them with 2% milk, however I cut back from a large to a small and I only get them twice or three times a month. If it's your treat, then treat yourself, but remember; a treat is something special, not a common occurance...Don't deprive yourself, just learn to fit it in smartly! :)
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have a ghetto Frap recipe you could use. It tastes pretty darn good and is about 53 calories. At least that's how MFP reads it as. Helps if you have a Magic Bullet or something similar so you can make an individual cup.

Coffee of your choice
    1/4 cup fat free milk - 23 calories or so
    nternational Delight - French Vanilla Coffee Creamer or Carmel - 30 calories
    4 tbs Sugar Free Vanilla or Carmel Torani flavoring.

Throw some ice in a blender type cup like a Magic Bullet, blend it all until the crunchy noises are gone and boom, you're all done. If you want to add whip cream on top, which honestly you don't need to, that'll be another 30 calories and if you drizzle chocolate syrup that could potentially be another 100 calories.

So my ghetto Frap is 53 calories, 8 carbs, 2 fat and 2 protein and it tastes pretty damn decent.
  • traceface71
    traceface71 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Get a nonfat misto with sugar free mocha. It's half coffee, half steamed milk...when I do one, I do 3/4 coffee and the rest nonfat. I find the sugar free mocha is more tolerable if I add a stevia packet.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    make them yourself with sugar free creamer
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    I LOVE mochas! I get mine with skim milk and no extra sugar added. I actually had 2 today. Yum! It's definitely doable. :smile:
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Really depends on HOW you have your mocha. I was a starbucks junky at one time. My solution now is I brew coffee directly into a pot of hershey's cocoa powder and add stevia liquid extract and a little bit of milk and that is enough for me. Took a LONG time to adjust to that, though....
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    low-fat/no-fat/reduced-fat milk is all a myth - go with whole milk. I work at a coffee shop, and there's really no way to have a "healthy" mocha. All it is is chocolate syrup, espresso (no calories) and steamed milk. The only "bad" thing in it is the chocolate syrup. If it means that much to you, you'll make room for it. A mocha/day is not going to hurt anything if you're making healthy choices otherwise. And chances are, if you're craving the mocha, your body is probably just telling you that it's hungry and you need some protein/healthy fat.