I gained 3pounds help!!!

Options
So I recently reached my weight loss goal and trying to maintain weight. When I did reached my goal, I started to increase my calorie intake from 1350 to 1750. I didn't change my diet only just increasing the serving of veggies, fruits, and protein compared to when I was in my weight loss diet. After 2 weeks I weight myself at the same time and same day I record the last weigh in. And I gained 3 pounds!! I still exercise at 3-4 times a week and still didn't revert back to my goal. What should I do? I mean I come really far and suddenly I have to go back to the to the program. Please help explain why I gained pounds and how do I get my weight back with out going through another diet?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So I recently reached my weight loss goal and trying to maintain weight. When I did reached my goal, I started to increase my calorie intake from 1350 to 1750. I didn't change my diet only just increasing the serving of veggies, fruits, and protein compared to when I was in my weight loss diet. After 2 weeks I weight myself at the same time and same day I record the last weigh in. And I gained 3 pounds!! I still exercise at 3-4 times a week and still didn't revert back to my goal. What should I do? I mean I come really far and suddenly I have to go back to the to the program. Please help explain why I gained pounds and how do I get my weight back with out going through another diet?

It's most likely water weight and I'd stop weighing yourself if you're going to freak out at small weight fluctuations
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Do people read these forums before posting the same question over and over again? People's weight fluctuates between 2-4lbs all the time. You body could be storing water, or you haven't rid yourself of all the food from the day before. Are you clothes tighter? Do you look the same in the mirror? You can't gain 3lbs of fat by only eating at maintenance. I'm going to tell you what my dad told me as a kid: Look up the answer before asking it.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    You are never going to stay the exact same weight. You have just increased your calories you are bound to add a little weight. Your body will adjust eventually but you will still fluctuate from day to day it's normal.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I don't know. . . adding 400 calories a day could be too much if your total daily energy expenditure doesn't add up to the extra difference. I'm just about to switch to maintenance too. I'm only going to add 100 calories a day to start with and see how that goes before adding more. I think switching to maintenance always involves some playing around with the numbers to find the sweet spot. Also, how much your weight varies depends on your size. . . I'm small. . . it never varies by more than 1.5 pounds, so I would probably be concerned by a 3 pound gain too.
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Always weigh yourself in the morning before you eat anything.. your weight flucuates throughout the day due to water weight.. bowels etc etc
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I refuse to weigh myself every day. Weight fluctuates so easily, at least I have found that to be true for me, that I'm only torturing myself if I weigh myself more than once or twice a week.

I wish you the best, but really, I wouldn't sweat the three pounds.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    So you didn't eat fruits, vegetables and protein while you were dieting? Or you are just eating more now? Carbs will make you retain water, as will working out, so unless your size has changed, don't worry for now about the 3 pounds. You might also consider the advice about going up a little at the time. I did 200 calories at the time, saw I wasn't gaining, then added another 200. My weight still isn't steady, so I'm still playing with the numbers, and I've been "at goal" a couple of months.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I don't know. . . adding 400 calories a day could be too much if your total daily energy expenditure doesn't add up to the extra difference. I'm just about to switch to maintenance too. I'm only going to add 100 calories a day to start with and see how that goes before adding more. I think switching to maintenance always involves some playing around with the numbers to find the sweet spot. Also, how much your weight varies depends on your size. . . I'm small. . . it never varies by more than 1.5 pounds, so I would probably be concerned by a 3 pound gain too.

this. my weight rarely varies by more than that either while i'm dieting, unless i'm losing weight.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I have come to realize that not every one is adept at forums or the internet in general. Not every one knows too look up the search function and not every one is as tech savvy and many people are just lazy.

This is a forum used by thousands upon thousands of people, it is going to happen regardless.
  • cralymoi
    Options
    Alternatively, if you like to weigh yourself regularly (like I do) you could weigh yourself every day and keep an eye on your weight graph for any upward or downward trends.
  • Ivy_leaves
    Ivy_leaves Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I went from 146 to 148 to 145 over the past few days. Dont stress!
  • jeannebc
    Options
    Don't panic! You could be holding fluid, your scales could be off or you might be constipated. Don't let this small amount deter you.
    Just stay the course and you will loose it again!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

You would have to consume 10,500 calories more than you burn in order to gain 3 lbs of fat. Generally, when people add more calories, their bodies need to adjust. Additionally, they tend to eat more carbs which means they store more glycogen/water. I can pretty much guarantee you that it is not 3 lbs of fat.
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Most of us are here to get to a goal weight. Congrats on making it that far! I understand why you might be freaking out because it feels like you are going to put the weight back on. Unfortunately, the forums at large today seem to be against you. Try posting half naked pictures of yourself and I bet they perk right up :)
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Most of us are here to get to a goal weight. Congrats on making it that far! I understand why you might be freaking out because it feels like you are going to put the weight back on. Unfortunately, the forums at large today seem to be against you. Try posting half naked pictures of yourself and I bet they perk right up :)

Agree! "Seriously" there are no stupid questions....only stupid people.