high cholesterol

Options
one of my biggest reasons for NEEDING to loose weight (other than wanting to look better) , is my cholesterol levels... im 24 years old and am at a higher risk for heart diseases etc because my cholesterol levels are WAYY out of wack... my doctor refuses to give medication to ppl of my age for there own specific reasons and suggests loosing weight... (then wrote a script for weight loss pills) ... clearly i need a new doctor...needless to say i REFUSE to take the stupid pills because i want to do this the right way!!!

so my question to you is... what kinds of food would help lower cholesterol!!???

based on most of my food logs, im usually really good at keeping the cholesterol intake lower...but im not sure of what else to do during the weight loss journey....

does anyone have suggestions on foods to help lower cholesterol...please help!!!

Replies

• vpsalama
    Options
    IMO lessen intake of red meat and egg yolks...and increase exercise. That's how my overall cholesterol # went down. There are always hereditary factors to consider, but switching to a more vegetable-based diet while really cutting back on red meat and eggs yolks will get you moving in the right direction.
  • dosmundos
    Options
    cut out all the crap carbs like pasta, white rice, white bread and sugar
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal. I'm 27 and on Lipitor and I wish my doctor had bother asking me before starting me on it. My nutritionist said that fiber helps your body pass cholesterol instead of absorbing it so I've also been on a pretty high-fiber diet for the past several months. between the two my cholesterol dropped 141 points in a month and a half.
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    A fair number of people have success with a grain free diet. If you want to see the science behind it, read "Wheat Belly." Yes, that means cutting out traditional bread, pasta and such.

If you want recipes that will work search "paleo" and whatever you have available to cook with and you can find some pretty good stuff. We are having Paleo Turkey Pot Pie tonight with a biscuit made with ground almonds. It smells really good, and the kids can't wait to try it. (The dough tasted really good too!)
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    Oh, and be aware that you will get MANY conflicting suggestions. Do some research and decide for yourself after you get some ideas of what may work.
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    This happened to me when I was 16. I started eating Cheerios & bananas (these became a staple to my diet until I gave up cereal a few weeks ago). I did not eat ANYTHING like mayonnaise, hotdogs, other things with fat. I ate as lean as possible & stopped eating fried foods altogether. I also started exercising at that time. It took a month or two to get back to normal levels. Good luck, you'll be fine!
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Eating foods with cholesterol does not raise most people's blood cholesterol significantly, so you don't have to avoid eggs.

Total blood cholesterol and LDL ("bad" cholesterol) have fairly little correlation with heart disease risk. You want HDL ("good" cholesterol) to be high--over 50 for a woman, over 40 for a man. Triglycerides should be low, definitely below 150, and lower is better. HDL and triglycerides are inversely related (if one is high, the other is usually low), and are much better predictors of heart disease risk than LDL or total cholesterol.

Regular exercise will raise your HDL and lower your triglycerides. Losing weight will help. Reducing or even eliminating foods made with flour and/or sugar--bread, pasta, cookies, cakes, pie, candy, ice cream, sports drinks and gels, regular soda, etc.--will also improve HDL and triglycerides. Carbohydrates from vegetables are fine, of course, and fruit in moderate amounts. Believe it or not, saturated fat such as in egg yolks actually raises your good cholesterol.

Cholesterol is absolutely necessary for maintenance and repair of your body. It isn't an enemy. It just needs to be in the right proportions.
  • bdunt2646
    bdunt2646 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    IMO lessen intake of red meat and egg yolks...and increase exercise. That's how my overall cholesterol # went down. There are always hereditary factors to consider, but switching to a more vegetable-based diet while really cutting back on red meat and eggs yolks will get you moving in the right direction.

im actually considering a vegitarian lifestyle... it seems it may be more benificial for my health at this point in time...
  • bdunt2646
    bdunt2646 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Eating foods with cholesterol does not raise most people's blood cholesterol significantly, so you don't have to avoid eggs.

Total blood cholesterol and LDL ("bad" cholesterol) have fairly little correlation with heart disease risk. You want HDL ("good" cholesterol) to be high--over 50 for a woman, over 40 for a man. Triglycerides should be low, definitely below 150, and lower is better. HDL and triglycerides are inversely related (if one is high, the other is usually low), and are much better predictors of heart disease risk than LDL or total cholesterol.

Regular exercise will raise your HDL and lower your triglycerides. Losing weight will help. Reducing or even eliminating foods made with flour and/or sugar--bread, pasta, cookies, cakes, pie, candy, ice cream, sports drinks and gels, regular soda, etc.--will also improve HDL and triglycerides. Carbohydrates from vegetables are fine, of course, and fruit in moderate amounts. Believe it or not, saturated fat such as in egg yolks actually raises your good cholesterol.

Cholesterol is absolutely necessary for maintenance and repair of your body. It isn't an enemy. It just needs to be in the right proportions.

i would have to go back through my file to figure out what my levels actually are... but there are not good at all.... not one number was in the right range .... it really upset me when i got the results back
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 years old and have successfully lowered my blood lipids into what my doctor calls "terrific" levels through diet and exercise. Most recent results:

Total VLDL = 12 (goal <30) ~~~~
    Total HDL = 69 (goal >40) ~~~~
    Non HDL = 90 (goal <160) ~~~~
    Triglycerides = 41 (goal <150) ~~~~
    Total Chol = 160 (goal <200) ~~~~

Lp(a) cholesterol (goal <10) dropped from 11 to 6, which is phenomenal because it's widely considered to be genetic and hard to change with diet/exercise.

Note however that I've taken a "shotgun approach" to it. There is no one particular thing that I think worked. It's a combination of cleaning up my diet, adding supplements that might help, and getting in the habit of a lot of daily exercise.

Things I believe helped:

Lots more vegetables. Usually keeping red meat to 3 oz per week or less. (Occasionally blow right over that, lol)
    Salmon or tuna 3 times per week
    Chicken or turkey, usually 3-4 oz servings
    Raw unsalted walnuts and almonds (usually 1/2 cup per day - lots of cals but great for chol)
    Usually have at least one meat-free day per week
    Cut way back on cakes, cookies, etc, compared to what I used to do
    Use olive oil and walnut oil for cooking
    Get plenty of vitamins, especially C and D3
    L-Lysine supplement

You're welcome to look through my food diary for ideas

I also get at least an hour of cardio every day, usually more like 2.5 hours, mostly walking, jogging, elliptical, and hiking in the hills

Good luck to you
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    The idea that food intake heavily influences serum cholesterol has been debunked. If anything, cutting out healthy fats can decrease HDL, which is worse than raising LDL. High cholesterol is a result of being overweight and not exercising. Lose weight and start exercising, and your cholesterol will improve.

Also, your cholesterol doesn't need to be extremely low to be healthy... the HDL:LDL ratio is more important than absolute levels.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Total VLDL = 12 (goal <30) ~~~~
    Total HDL = 69 (goal >40) ~~~~
    Non HDL = 90 (goal <160) ~~~~
    Triglycerides = 41 (goal <150) ~~~~
    Total Chol = 160 (goal <200) ~~~~
    Those numbers are phenomenal! Great job!
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The idea that food intake heavily influences serum cholesterol has been debunked. If anything, cutting out healthy fats can decrease HDL, which is worse than raising LDL. High cholesterol is a result of being overweight and not exercising. Lose weight and start exercising, and your cholesterol will improve.

Also, your cholesterol doesn't need to be extremely low to be healthy... the HDL:LDL ratio is more important than absolute levels.

I agree with some of what you say but have a problem with "High cholesterol is a result of being overweight and not exercising." My weight is in the normal range for my height (although I want to lose more to get down to a healthier body fat ratio) and I walk every day for an hour and half at 3.8 or 3.9 mph. So according to you, I shouldn't have high cholesterol? My LDL and Total Cholesterol are not good while on the other hand, I have fantastic numbers for my HDL and my Triglycerides. My doctor threatened to put me on Statins if I don't get the LDL down.

Anyhow, back to the OP. This is what was suggested by my medical doctor and my naturopath doctor to lower my LDL:

1. Continue the daily walks
    2. Increase my intake of vegetables (especially cruciferous veggies) and fruit
    3. Make sure I get lots of soluble fiber (put fiber supplement in smoothies or drinks.
    4. Drink 2 to 3 cups of green tea daily
    5. Take 2000 iu of Vitamin D daily
    6. Take 800 to 1000 mg of EPA fish oils daily
    7. Take 500 mg 3x per day of Inositol hexaniacinate (This one is available in health food stores but please don't take unless you check with a doctor)
    8. Increase my intake of Vitamin C (I take something call Medi C Plus available in Canada. It is a combo of high Vitamin C, Lysine and Calcium)

You got great suggestions from other posters and I hope that my ideas might help as well.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Cutting out processed carbs worked for me.
  • soonerman4life
    soonerman4life Posts: 8 Member
    Options

^^^^ This. Evidence these days see no corrolation between foods higher in cholesterol and serum cholesteral levels. Eggs in particular are getting a bad rap. Eat the yolks, ther're good for you.
  • Enigmatica
    Options
    There's a whole other line of thinking about cholesterol that my doctor has explained to me. Beyond the very basic "HDL is good, LDL is bad" premise, most people don't understand why our bodies create cholesterol at all. (Most cholesterol is created by your own body, not sucked out of food you eat and dumped into your bloodstream.) So why would our bodies create "bad" cholesterol that gunks up our blood vessels? If you address that, you may find the solution.

Some researchers - Linus Pauling for example - say that we create LDL cholesterol in response to damage and inflammation in our vascular system. And while certain foods may contribute to that damage, other foods/nutrients may help prevent or heal it.

Rather than write a whole new thing about this I'm just going to paste something I sent to someone else recently. Anyone interested can hit google for more on this approach if they want to. There's plenty out there.

If I recall Ruth's explanation correctly, our bodies produce more LDL cholesterol in response to tissue damage (I had never heard this before) and that includes damage to blood vessels. Cholesterol is used to coat damaged tissues while they're being repaired, sort of like an internal bandage applied while other processes try to repair the damage. Ideally, HDL is supposed to come through and scour the LDL off of the area as it heals. Plaques are formed when the inflammation can't be reduced, the LDL stays there, and if things get worse the blood vessel can be entirely blocked or a blood clot can form and then break loose, resulting in all kindsa trouble.

So while LDL is widely condemned as the "bad cholesterol" it serves a purpose. Instead of figuring out WHY the body is producing too much LDL and trying to fix the source of the problem, most doctors just try to reduce the level of LDL. (Sound familiar?)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15681098
    Abstract
    Inflammation leads to changes in lipid metabolism aimed at decreasing the toxicity of a variety of harmful agents and tissue repair by redistributing nutrients to cells involved in host defence. Acute phase response, mediated by cytokines, preserves the host from acute injury. When this inflammation becomes chronic, it might lead to chronic disorders as atherosclerosis and the metabolic syndrome. The activation of the inflammatory cascade will induce a decrease in HDL-cholesterol (HDL-C), with impairment in reverse cholesterol transport, and parallel changes in apolipoproteins, enzymes, anti-oxidant capacity and ATP binding cassette A1-dependent efflux. This decrease in HDL-C and phospholipids could stimulate compensatory changes, as synthesis and accumulation of phospholipid-rich VLDL which binds bacterial products and other toxic substances, resulting in hypertriglyceridemia. The final consequence is an increased accumulation of cholesterol in cells. When the compensatory response (inflammation) is not able to repair injury, it turns into a harmful reaction, and the lipid changes will become chronic, either by repeated or overwhelming stimulus, enhancing the formation of atherosclerotic lesions. Thus, the classical lipid changes associated with the metabolic syndrome (increased triglycerides and decreased HDL-C) may be envisioned as a highly conserved evolutionary response aimed at tissue repair. Under this assumption, the problem is not the response but the persistence of the stimulus.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Cholesterol

http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/24/7/1143.full
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Well said, @Enigmatica. I wish more doctors understood that. It is possible to force the cholesterol levels too low and cause other problems, such as an increased risk of stroke.

I'm reminded of Larry Burkett, a financial counselor I used to listen to on the radio in the late 1990s/early 2000s, whose family had a history of early heart disease. After Larry suffered a "silent" heart attack at age 50, he made drastic dietary and lifestyle changes: very low-fat diet, white-meat chicken only, small amounts of fish, almost no red meat, and walking three to five miles a day. He reduced his total cholesterol from 240 to 100 (yes, one hundred), and kept it there. His doctors never told him that his cholesterol level could be too low; they thought it was great.

Within five years, Larry had developed a rare form of kidney cancer that metastasized to his shoulder. After having the kidney and the shoulder blade removed, and several years of treatment, he was declared cancer-free in 2003. He died a week or so later, at age 64...of the heart disease that runs in his family.

Sure, this is just one man's story. But Larry Burkett went to his grave convinced, based on the research he did after his diagnosis, that his ultra-low cholesterol level had been a major contributor to his developing cancer--and in the end, it didn't stop the heart disease from overtaking him.
  • Enigmatica
    Options
    Well said, @Enigmatica. I wish more doctors understood that. It is possible to force the cholesterol levels too low and cause other problems, such as an increased risk of stroke.

I'm reminded of Larry Burkett, a financial counselor I used to listen to on the radio in the late 1990s/early 2000s, whose family had a history of early heart disease. After Larry suffered a "silent" heart attack at age 50, he made drastic dietary and lifestyle changes: very low-fat diet, white-meat chicken only, small amounts of fish, almost no red meat, and walking three to five miles a day. He reduced his total cholesterol from 240 to 100 (yes, one hundred), and kept it there. His doctors never told him that his cholesterol level could be too low; they thought it was great.

Within five years, Larry had developed a rare form of kidney cancer that metastasized to his shoulder. After having the kidney and the shoulder blade removed, and several years of treatment, he was declared cancer-free in 2003. He died a week or so later, at age 64...of the heart disease that runs in his family.

Sure, this is just one man's story. But Larry Burkett went to his grave convinced, based on the research he did after his diagnosis, that his ultra-low cholesterol level had been a major contributor to his developing cancer--and in the end, it didn't stop the heart disease from overtaking him.

Exactly! I also went from one extreme to the other initially because I went toooo low fat instead of knowing to choose helpful fats. Not *enough* cholesterol and triglycerides can be a whole other boatload of trouble including inadequate tissue repair and disruption of hormonal system that can mess with your sleep, trigger depression, sink your immune system, etc.

Our bodies need cholesterol - the key is in the right balance. And achieving the balance seems to be best accomplished by understanding how nutrition and exercise impact you as an individual. Some people have lowered their LDL levels by switching to anti-inflammatory diet and making sure they get plenty of vitamin C, L-Lysine, and other nutrients to support vascular system. Some people would FREAK if they looked at my total fat intake on a typical day. What they don't realize is that our bodies need certain fats to support a variety of functions. Learning how to incorporate a healthy balance of fats into my diet is one of the key factors in my now healthy cholesterol levels. Other nutrients are crucial too. And obviously exercise is a big factor as well.

Sad story about Larry Burkett. :(
  • heygurlheyyyy
    heygurlheyyyy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've had high cholesterol pretty much my whole life. Diet and exercise do not seem to change it. My most recent test results were pretty darned high and I've eaten better and exercised more in the last 6 months than I have in over 10 years. I've been on meds for it for over 15. It sucks, but I've decided it's just a part of my life. And that's pretty lame.
  • Enigmatica
    Options
    I've had high cholesterol pretty much my whole life. Diet and exercise do not seem to change it. My most recent test results were pretty darned high and I've eaten better and exercised more in the last 6 months than I have in over 10 years. I've been on meds for it for over 15. It sucks, but I've decided it's just a part of my life. And that's pretty lame.

But... what dietary changes did you make that didn't work? If you followed the old recommendations to slash fat and cholesterol the bad news is that more research is coming out indicating that may not work if your body is producing LDL in response to vascular damage that may be caused by insufficient nutrition. A lot of people get too many calories but not enough of the nutrients they need for healthy bodies. For example, plenty of overweight people are deficient in vitamin C, D, and E. (Not saying YOU are, just using this as a common example.) Cutting back on foods that may or may not be causing the cholesterol to soar might not alleviate the problem if the body isn't provided with the nutrients needed to heal at the same time.

Here's an example to consider - just one of many... http://www.athero.org/commentaries/comm79.asp