Power plate users please read!!

Hi MFP's

Im writing for some advise and guidance. I recently started using a power plate as my gym instructor recommended it, and says that you can get awesome results. I dont know anyone else who uses a power plate so wanted to find out from those of you who use one, what is you experience? Do they work? How often are you supposed to use it? How many calories are you supposed to burn in a, say, 15 min session?? Ive been told anything between 350-700 per hour but that doesnt sound right!!! Im a power plate newbie so any help / advice you can offer will be much appreciated.

Thanks!! Tracy

Replies

• UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    What is a power plate?? Sounds interesting! :bigsmile:
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Hello. I use the powerplate in our gym as a compliment to other gym routines (cardio and weights). I don't know if the calorie burn is that high. I was wearing my HRM this morning and although my heartrate does go up a bit it's nowhere near as much as if you were, say, jogging or something. My HR is about the same as when I'm doing weights though (which for me is at around 110-120). You would really need to wear a heartrate monitor to get the most accurate picture of how much you are burning.

The main reason I do a bit of powerplate is to help with stability of my ankle and knee joints. I find that doing squats on there seems to help my knees get stronger and then I find it easier to do regular squats.

Enjoy!!
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    What is a power plate?? Sounds interesting! :bigsmile:

See http://www.powerplate.com/uk/experience-it/video-workouts and sorry it's a bit marketing-y but you'll get the idea. It's a vibrating plate that you do exercises on. Apparently it's supposed to activate the muscles better.. I'm sure they explain it in detail somewhere on the site. Not sure about the scientific credibility though!!
  • Gilroy13
    Gilroy13 Posts: 2 Member
    I too own a power plate in my home and :'m not sure how many calories you do burn using the power plate but I do know that it helps build muscle and more muscle means more burn of calories. If you figure 30 hertz for 30seconds is 900x your muscles are stimulated. That is far more than without the power plate. That is why they say only use power plate 3x a week. Hope this helps!