Pulled calf muscle looking for exercise ideas!

Options
I recently strained my left calf during a running drill in boot camp class. Really stinks! But I am used being active & it is kind of killing me that I am laid up! Anyone have any non impact workouts that you like? I did a couple ab videos; but I know I am limited until this heals up a bit.

Replies

• Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Is there a local indoor pool that you could use? Swimming is a wonderful way to burn a lot of calories with minimal impact, and best of all you don't have to sweat. :)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    actually partially tore my calf a week and change ago. doc says no running or biking for a month. bummed like crazy. but I'm gonna try the rowing machine tomorrow and see how that goes.
  • jagspal
    Options
    Great ideas!
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Recumbent bike is very low stress on the legs. I relied on it leading up to and recovering from knee surgery recently.
  • Julie7741
    Julie7741 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I pulled mine over the summer. Felt a pop/snapping sensation then searing pain. I just switched from running to only biking and the elliptical until I was pain free. Those two activities didn't seem to cause pain, so I went with it. I never went to the doctor though. I started running again about 8 weeks later, and am always careful to stretch. I haven't had any more problems with it. I think they heal up pretty well.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    fwiw, the rowing worked ok today. was sore at the start, but once warmed up, no problems at all.

doc said after another week or so, can probably switch to the elliptical and then a week or two and maybe I can start slowly working back in to running.
  • jagspal
    Options
    I have been sticking with the bike, but I am going to try the rowing machine tom. Hopefully the elipticsl next week, thanks for the idea.
  • NikiDeaf
    NikiDeaf Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This happened to me. I took most of this week off from the gym (which is killing me since I keep thinking of all the progress I've made with my cardio) but plan to go back tomorrow. I've been pretty active all week though.
  • jagspal
    Options
    Have been building back into work-outs! This injury has forced me to use different machines that I never usually use. The stairmaster, bike and swimming. A little un sure when to re introduce high impact classes I normally take.