Alcohol and weight loss?

Options
So I know alcohol, depending upon the selection, contains many empty calories. Has anyone experienced a large weight loss by eliminating alcohol from your diet?

Replies

• Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Although I removed alcohol for other reasons, I found it much easier to lose weight without it.

Sure, I used to make the room for a couple of glasses of wine after dinner, but that wasn't much of the problem.
    The bigger problems were that the alcohol tended to keep me awake longer and I ended up getting a bad case of the late night munchies, plus, only rarely did I stick to my two glasses.

At my heaviest, I weighed 235+. When I stopped drinking, I was at around 180 ish ... and got down to 170 rather quickly. I hovered there for a few months, then joined MFP to lose the remaining weight. At my lowest, I got to about 157 or so.

Hope this helps.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have heard alcohol can keep you from metabolizing fat, so I try to avoid it for that reason. However, I lost 60 pounds after college, by just never consuming more than 800-1000 calories a day- and some days that was mostly booze. But I did gain a good amount back.
  • mrcbu145
    mrcbu145 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    thanks for the comments and suggestions, very helpful!
  • Katherinesfitness
    Options
    Off topic but Gorgeous profile pic mrc :)
  • repmlrs
    repmlrs Posts: 154
    Options
    i lost over 10 lbs from not drinking
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Yeah a friend of mine lost about 15-20lbs by just not drinking as much.

He was drinking heavily almost every day, though.

Edit- I've managed to lose this much weight by only drinking heavily once every few weeks.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Here's some great info on using alcohol to your advantage, if you are going to do it.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

Ending has your routine to apply if you can plan on it.

Other benefit to the right alcohol, whoosh effect to retained water in fat cells.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    It can definitely help to reduce or eliminate consumption. Though there is little nutritional value per se in alcohol (you're not getting other vitamins, minerals, etc. from most alcoholic beverages), a drink every now and again is probably good for your soul! ("Beer is proof that God loves us!") All kidding aside, my nutritionist said to just account for the calories and cut back on other carbs if I was going to sub alcohol into that day's plans. I've probably cut down form 6-10 beers a week to 2-3, and it's working so far.
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I love a few drinks, but I have to say, in the times in my life that I eliminated alcohol, it was much easier to lose weight.

*sigh*
  • mrcbu145
    mrcbu145 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the compliment :) and thanks everyone for the tips!!
  • GomesDavid
    Options
    Alcohol and weight loss are enemies, but an occasional drink can have a place in a healthy lifestyle. In fact, many experts note the potential health benefits of consuming a single drink per day, including a reduced risk for high blood pressure If, however, you are exceeding one drink daily, you might be sabotaging your weight loss plans.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Alcohol is second only to fat for calories per gram, 7 and 9 respectively.

Why jeopardise all your hard work and effort by drinking? Leave it out of your diet and you'll not only feel better but lose weight.
  • SabrinaLily
    Options
    I wish I could explain it, but I can't. Even if I drink with moderation and work the calories into my daily allowance, alcohol makes me gain weight. It seems not all calories are created equal? The math doesn't make sense but the scale doesn't lie. That's at least what it does to my body.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I used to drink regularly when I was at university and I lost loads of weight, especially when I lived in France for a year! I didn't eat a lot then though.

Now I'm mature and responsible (lol) I don't really drink. I have a glass of wine or 2 maybe once a month. I exercise a lot and I really don't want to waste my calories on alcohol. And to be honest i'd actually rather have a cup of coffee! One glass of wine goes to my head and I have 2 young kids to look after.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I do find it hard to lose if i dont regulate my drinking. It doesnt make me gain but it may keep me from losing.
  • Sari9912
    Sari9912 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated it completely. I love my Friday/Saturday nights. I go out one night a week and have a few drinks (2-4) but I make sure I am careful what I eat earlier in the day and that I work out. Also we usually go out and dance for a good 2-3 hours so I burn off some of the calories that way too. Personally I would rather have a few drinks then eat pizza or other junk and I don't really get the late night munchies. Also, I drink a glass or 2 of water in between drinks.