I could use all the help and advice I can get

Options
I am 70 years old. I am 6'1" and way 250 lbs. My daughter recommended this site to me. I have been using this site for about 2 weeks and have lost 9 lbs. A month ago I weighed 268 lbs. and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetics. I have had a knee surgery recently and have to get 4 spine shots every 6 to 12 months for lower back pain. I have had 2 back surgeries. I am a vegan and do all my own cooking. This program has really helped me on how to stretch meals with low calorie vegetables and whole grain crackers so I feel full with less calories. I also have to watch my salt intake because of high blood pressure. The good news is since I have started using this site I have gone from being able to walk only 1 block daily to now being able to walk 3 miles daily. I even started going to the gym. Just being able to communicate with others with some of my problems has really encouraged me to get out of my pity box and do what others are doing.

Replies

• johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I am 49, 6'2" and started out at 268. I have had 13 operations on my legs and was on two occasions told I may end up in a wheelchair. Luckily that did not happen but after the last operation I kind of gave up and became very sedentary. I had a permanent handicap sticker and used a cane constantly because I hurt too much if I walked very far without it.

I began slowly working on my damaged muscles that were causing my biggest issues and before too long I was walking quite a bit more and was able to give up the cane and quit using the handicap sticker. I average between 8 and 10 miles most days now and have joined a gym to work on my upper body strength. I can not do any weight training with my legs but am cleared to walk and use a recumbent bike and do both of those to continue to strengthen my legs.

One day at a time with the will and determination to get fit has really been helpful. Good luck on you journey, I appreciate what it has taken you to move from walking a block to 3 miles. Way to go and keep at it!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    As you are vegan you may want to check out these groups where you can hopefully get advice and ideas regarding your meals.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/46-team-vegan
  • marceguerrero
    Options
    GREAT JOB SO FAR!!!

I am 51; with coronary artery disease and osteoarthritis of the knees. Started at 286 in July, began walking, now at 223. I walk over 100 miles per month now and do light strength training at the gym. No problems with my diet, other than the fact that I have a bad habit of NOT EATING! Of course doing much better since I found MFP.

We all need help every now and then, GOOD LUCK, and feel free to add me to your friend list.
  • tigtigs
    Options
    Congrats on the success so far! Way to step out there and take charge!! Good luck to you!! :-)
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and well done so far!! :happy:
  • jahall76
    jahall76 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. This is a great place for support and tons of useful information. Good luck on your journey.
  • Noflexing
    Noflexing Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    great job getting started. with the knee injury i can relate i have torn tissue in my left patella behind the knee cap. you will have to take it easy with leg training very light weight but do high reps to get flexibility in your legs to lessen the pain from the injury. with your low back pain don't do any twisting motion exercises and go very light on back training. your arms / shoulder / training days should be fine. take it easy on chest days as well. your doing great with the extra cardio keep that up and try to increase your distances every day. drink plenty of water and get lots of rest. very important to get rest. search google whenever you can for vegan recipes. Good luck stay strong
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! 3 miles a day? You're well on your way to a new body. Keep up what you're doing. It's obviously working.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I'm glad you've found motivation here. Great progress so far :-)