Runner's Knee Warmers?

Options
I've noticed my knees being tight and sore while running in the colder weather. Has anyone ever tried any of the knee warmer compression type sleeves? I've seen them for bikers. I'm wondering if any runners have tried any and if they stay up. Thanks!!

Replies

• Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I've noticed my knees being tight and sore while running in the colder weather. Has anyone ever tried any of the knee warmer compression type sleeves? I've seen them for bikers. I'm wondering if any runners have tried any and if they stay up. Thanks!!

I've never used the sleeves. I use the open patella knee wraps with Bio-Freeze and it works well. Good luck!
  • homemomfreda
    Options
    Are you warming up with some dynamic stretching? This seems to help my husband who has bad knees!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I haven't got into really cold weather yet (0 C so far) but i find it helps if i warm up indoors and then layer up and go out running. My problem area in the cold is my calves. But since i started warming up beforehand, i haven't had any issues...
    I've used knee supports for injuries before, and i find they fit nicely and keep the knee warm - i'm not talking the compressing sleeve kind, but the ones with the hole for the knee cap and the velcro closure for thigh and calf. Hansaplast makes a nice one i think... you just have to find the measure on how tight it should fit, else they rub you quite sore...

haha, there was just an ad for knee braces on the page as i posted - i am not talking anything that strong, the one i mean is like a neoprene type material, no hard parts...
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I had knee surgery about 1 year ago. I wear a sleeve for warmth when I play tennis. I believe it is a Medi Genumedi brace. i do not remember the brand exactly, and it doesn't say on the brace itself. It is neoprene, but with a lot of plastic support in it.
    I wore the brace for running for a while before surgery, but I think I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. A brace would rub and chafe if you went very far. Have you tried running tights to keep your legs warm?
    That said, I bought my brace at the running store, so there must be people wearing braces for jogging.
  • liverup
    liverup Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I've never used the sleeves. I use the open patella knee wraps with Bio-Freeze and it works well. Good luck!

Hello! When you say knee wraps are talking about ACE type wraps? Take care.
  • liverup
    Options
    Are you warming up with some dynamic stretching? This seems to help my husband who has bad knees!

That would probably help me a lot. I don't do any dynamic before or static after. I'm going to start forcing myself to do that. Thx for your 2 cents.
  • liverup
    Options
    I haven't got into really cold weather yet (0 C so far) but i find it helps if i warm up indoors and then layer up and go out running. My problem area in the cold is my calves. But since i started warming up beforehand, i haven't had any issues...
    I've used knee supports for injuries before, and i find they fit nicely and keep the knee warm - i'm not talking the compressing sleeve kind, but the ones with the hole for the knee cap and the velcro closure for thigh and calf. Hansaplast makes a nice one i think... you just have to find the measure on how tight it should fit, else they rub you quite sore...

haha, there was just an ad for knee braces on the page as i posted - i am not talking anything that strong, the one i mean is like a neoprene type material, no hard parts...

I'd say my knee aching occurs in temps less than 0 C. I did wear tights tonight under a very light wind pants. I only ran 3 miles but knees felt great until the mile walk home. One knee felt tight and achy. Hours after it feels great. I'm just sure its the cold.

I've worn a neoprene sleeve on a sore quad this summer and that thing for 10 bucks worked awesome and I wore it on 20 miles runs with no issues. I've seen those neoprene open patella sleeves before and I know those would keep my knees warm! I worry about wearing something too conforming on my knees. Maybe that's a non issue? Those are pretty cheap I should just try them. Thanks!
  • liverup
    Options

Hello! When you say knee wraps are talking about ACE type wraps? Take care.

I was googling knee wraps and found the type of brace you were probably talking about. They wrap around with velcro to secure them. Thanks.