Have you gained muscle after menopause?

Options
My mother, who is 68, has had great success with weight loss, but now that she's thin she's quite frail and needs to rebuild her strength. However, a friend of hers told her that is IMPOSSIBLE to gain muscle mass after menopause unless you are on hormone replacement therapy. My mom believes her, because this friend is a biologist -- but she studies microbes, not mammals, so I don't believe she's an authority!

I'd love to be able to tell my mother that there are LOTS of women out there who have successfully built muscle after menopause without hormone therapy. If you have, please share your success story here!

(My apologies if this is a repeat topic -- I did search the archives first!)

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    This woman is pretty inspiring

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18346128

:-)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Bump! Love to get more input on this subject.

I'm 54 and peri-menopausal. With shifting hormones I've definitely noticed a drop in lean muscle mass. Sucks when you've worked out your entire adult life! But I'm not anywhere near throwing the towel in yet.

As far as your Mom - I don't know about building muscle at 68 or the science behind it, but exercise is more important then ever at her age. She should be getting some sort of cardio and strength training!! It helps maintain muscle, strengthens the joints and bones and helps with mobility. Resistance bands are great for older folks who have not followed a formal fitness routine. Great for starters. Get her moving!
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I know we must have some amazing women on here who have built muscle after menopause... c'mon out, ladies!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    bumping again
  • SaraBiston1
    SaraBiston1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes building muscles is possible after Menopause. Here are some of the tips that helps her to build the muscles.

• Walk to build muscle tone while improving heart function and burning calories. Walking at any intensity can help to build muscle. Start out walking about 20 minutes and increase to 60 minutes five or six times per week. Increase the intensity by walking up hills and walking faster once you get over the initial muscle soreness.
    • Lift free weights to tone upper body muscles. Start with 1-pound weights and add weight as you build strength. One way to lift is to lie on the floor on your back with a weight in each hand. Place your arms straight out at your sides and raise the weights so they meet in the middle above your body. Lower arms and repeat 10 times.
    • Make the most of sit-ups by doing full-body roll-ups. Lie on your back with your arms extended above your head. Inhale and raise your arms over your head, pulling in on your abdomen at the same time. Exhale and tuck your chin into your chest as you raise your shoulders. Curl your spine as you raise your upper body with your arms out in front of you and reach for your toes. Imagine you're forming the letter C with your body. Slowly lower back down, toning all your core muscles. Repeat three to five times.
    • Perform bicycle pumps to tone up the abdomen, back and oblique muscles to avoid belly fat that accumulates in post-menopausal women. Lie on your back and bend your knees so your feet are parallel to the floor. Push one foot out and bring it back; push the other foot out and back. While you are pumping your feet, try to touch your right elbow to your left knee and your left elbow to your right knee. Continue pumping for three to five minutes.
    • Exercise must be coupled with proper nutrition for optimum health.

Take care