I need IRON!? food ideas?!

Options
Hi,
I have just added iron to my daily food nutrition thingy and noticed that I never seem to have much iron ...
any ideas on getting more.

MY USUAL DAY would be....
porridge for brekkie
I tend to go for roast veg and a protein for lunch
ready meal for tea/evening
plus yoghurts and some fruit berries.

I dont do too many carbs as they trigger binges in me (ex bulimic I know these things!) but as a girl I need my iron...!

...and no i dont like black pudding!
I googled it and that came out top!
yuk!

Replies

• Whiskey5JDA
    Options
    try liver. beef or chicken they are loaded with iron. also you could try a multivitamin or iron tables
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    red meat and/or green leafy veggies are full of iron (among lots of other things). Sweet potato, white potato, peas green beans, broccoli, pumpkin seeds...

there are tons, all you need to do is google iron rich foods.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this my self recently and was reading about nutrition in a Womens Running Guide. The book suggested that beef was the best source of iron that we can absorb. There is iron in things like spinach also, but we only absorb about 20% of that iron. It suggested that if you do not eat meat or eat it often, to take a supliment containing iron instead.

Good Luck.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Slowfe is an iron supplement you can buy. For iron rich foods you can eat raisins, spinach, meat, etc. If you are anemic you might crave ice, have pale lips, pale inner eyelids, and just feel very fatigued.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Also try some molasses on your porridge. Not to everyone's taste, but I LOVE it.

Do be sure that you have something acidic with your iron rich foods - your body need the extra acid to break down and absorb the iron. My favorite is a spinach and mandarin orange salad with toasted slivered almonds.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this my self recently and was reading about nutrition in a Womens Running Guide. The book suggested that beef was the best source of iron that we can absorb. There is iron in things like spinach also, but we only absorb about 20% of that iron. It suggested that if you do not eat meat or eat it often, to take a supliment containing iron instead.

Good Luck.

This is true! Great point to bring up! Adding an acid will help you absorb more of the iron. So eating a spinach salad with fresh lemon will help. :wink:
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options

Good Luck.

This is true! Great point to bring up! Adding an acid will help you absorb more of the iron. So eating a spinach salad with fresh lemon will help. :wink:

Apparently great minds thing alike :drinker:
  • dani41
    dani41 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian so I have to find iron in different places. I just noticed last week that Post's Grapenuts have 90% daily value of iron in one 1/2 cup serving. I either eat it with soy or almond milk or sprinkle it over yogurt and fruit to make a parfait. I also consume one spinach based salad a day.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I have to take a multi everyday or else I can't get the iron I need (I'm a vegetarian), I do try to eat as many natural souces of Iron as possible, dark leafy greens, grains (quinoa, millet, amaranth), and iron fortified cereals.
  • tparkin
    tparkin Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I like to have 1 cup of All Bran Flakes, 1/4 cup of All Bran Original, 3/4 Milk, with berries for breakfast. It's about 220 calories and close to half the daily required iron. Then I amke up the rest with my meat and leafy greens.
  • SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    ahaaa good ideas...think i will go the supplement route though!

I do eat spinach but was just adding green leafy salad on my food diary...!
    and brocolli etc so...!

thanxxx
  • jquintinjr
    jquintinjr Posts: 191
    Options
    frosted mini wheats...or mini wheats.
  • SydKaty
    SydKaty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When I donate blood, I have to increase my iron intake. They always tell me to have raisins. Maybe put them in your breakfast foods?