Help...I'm craving junk food!

Options
I only started logging on here again two and a half weeks ago, and I've been so happy with myself because I've been doing really well. The last three days though I've been so hungry and craving things like pizza.

I've been exercising a fair amount - I burned 2959 cals in week 1, 7183 in week 2, and 1170 so far this week. Apart from week two (when I think it would have been impossible to eat all of the extras) I've mostly been eating most of the exercise calories...coming in generally between 5-200 calories under my daily allowance.

I think my diet is very balanced, I cook everything from scratch, and I make sure I'm eating carbs and protein with every meal.

What do you guys think - is this just part of the process of my body adjusting to its healthier way of living and I need to power through the cravings, or am I missing something?

Replies

• donnas144
    donnas144 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i was v good for first few weeks then too started craving sweet stuff so looked for alternatibes such as low cal hot chocolates and i used to mix miller light yogurt with low fat or fat free greek yogurt and a teaspoon of candrel then pop in freezer for two hrs amd that was my
  • donnas144
    donnas144 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ice cream. i then stopped craving sweet stuff. then and now ive lost preet much all the weight down to last 2 lbs. i let myself have treats but try to limit. i make my own pizzas and eat with the family. try using morzella cheese supposed to be lower iin fat. just eat one slice. i think if u are not realistic and ban evrrything the weight will just yo yo.
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The more you power through the cravings, the more you feel deprived and crave it more. What about portion controlling it and filling up with other stuff? If you want pizza, make room in your budget for two homemade slices and a nice sized salad with dressing on the side. Maybe go light on the pizza sauce and load it up with chicken and vegetables as the toppings?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Fighting cravings and cutting out all the things you love isn't forming a healthy relationship with food. Figure out the calories of the thing you want to eat and work it into your budget. You can have A piece of pizza, just not the whole pizza. Demonizing food isn't the answer.
  • gwangjujulie
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I did a 10km race on Sunday and then went out after with friends for pizza...it was nice to have it (and because we shared only have three slices!) and not feel guilty becase of the running! I'm very aware that I'm an emotional eater and need to sort out those type of issues with food. I live alone and get scared about the thought of ordering a pizza because I know I'd never stop at a couple of slices, I'd just eat the whole thing!

I'll get there, one step at a time....
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    eat some before u binge out heavy
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Be realistic with yourself. Can you trust yourself to have pizza and stop at one or two slices? If so, work it into your calories and have some. If not, then see if you can find an alternative that tastes just as good.

My strategy is:
    step 1: build a few tiny treats into my regular diet, such as some homemade popcorn or saving 75 cals for a mini chocolate bar - if I do this alongside my regular healthy food I seem to crave less because I don't miss out
    step 2: make sure my regular meals are varied and exciting, and work in some almost-as-good substitutions for your favourite junk (like when I crave pizza, what I really want is the melted cheese, so I work in a grilled cheese or similar)
    step 3: have the junk and work it into the calories. Save 100 cals per day and add them on to the weekend so you can have a treat. Go online and work out the best options at your favourite takeouts.Have a small portion. Any of those things
    step 4: if all else fails, the occasional junk meal won't kill me. As long as 95% of my meals are good and nutritious, I don't beat myself up about junk.
  • martintanz
    Options
    A slice or two of cheese pizza is OK. (no high fat toppings, no deep dish) Make sure it is thin crust and stay away from the national chains. Don't know how they do it, but they manage to pack extra calories into most of their pizzas. If you makng a frozen pizza, you know exactly what you are eating. FWIW, I usually eat pizza about once a week, and it seems to be working OK for me. Often, I make a frozen cheese pizza for the family, and I put spinach and fresh garlic on my portion.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I just have a small amount of what I am truly craving. I can either have 200 calories of chips, or 600 calories of "healthier" food that I eat to try and beat the craving.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I only started logging on here again two and a half weeks ago, and I've been so happy with myself because I've been doing really well. The last three days though I've been so hungry and craving things like pizza.

If you're craving pizza, then eat it. Pizza is all the food groups in one fell swoop. Make your own and you can make it healthier than delivery pizza.
  • gwangjujulie
    Options
    Thats totally what I did on the day I posted this!
    ......hopefully lesson learned :)
  • gwangjujulie
    Options
    Most of the time I just have a small amount of what I am truly craving. I can either have 200 calories of chips, or 600 calories of "healthier" food that I eat to try and beat the craving.

Thats totally what I did on the day I posted this!
    ......hopefully lesson learned :)
  • EatingRight123
    Options
    eat some before u binge out heavy

strong this. better eat some in moderation before you devour alot of junk food.

eat some healthy mcdonalds double cheeseburgers. srs