Breakfast Before or After Morning Workout?

Options
Just wondering which would be better? To eat breakfast first and then workout or workout first and then eat?

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It's entirely an issue of personal preference. A lot of people feel queasy if they eat before exercising, while others need to put a little something in their stomach. There are also some people who eat a small amount before working out, then eat most of their breakfast afterwards.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Agree - you need to try and see what works for you. I find it depends on the type of workout: cardio I can do on an empty stomach, weight lifting I feel dizzy if I haven't eaten anything.
  • cue_chik
    cue_chik Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the input. I am generally, not a breakfast eater, but have decided that it my be a good idea (duh) to try and eat at least a little something in the morning to help regulate my metabolism. since I am not one to eat first thing out of bed, I might try working out first and then eating :)
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Eat enough the night before and then some coffee when you get up;

There is very little reason to eat before - infact when you wake up you are primed for fat burning so any carbs at this time just about stops this state.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I eat afterwards but purely because doing exercise on a stomach full of food makes me feel pretty sick. PS if you're not a big breakfast eater, you don't HAVE to eat it.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My commute is my workout in the morning as I commute by bike and I'm begining to find I feel better if I have a little bit of protein 30-40 minutes before I leave, like some nuts or a slice of turkey, do my commute, eat at work post-"workout". I used to eat a full breakfast before doing the ride and I felt terrible, queasy, bloated just blerg, so I changed and feel much better for it. As with most of this stuff, it's a personal preference, YMMV. FInd what works for you and go with it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Go with personal preference on this one. Given identical calorie and macro intakes I doubt you'd see a noticeable difference between the two.

The amount of fat you burn during the actual training bout is irrelevant. If you burn carbs instead of fat during training (because you eat beforehand) you're just going to oxidize more fat later because you're eating less. Focus on big picture things and not what happens during small snapshots.

Now all that being said, it DOES matter how well you perform, and if eating beforehand or NOT eating beforehand gives you a stronger training session, that absolutely matters and it would be in your best interest to figure that out and run with it.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana before and then eat a big ol' breakfast afterwards.
  • wendyj910
    wendyj910 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I usually have a Fiber 1 bar when I wake up and then wait an hour before I do my workout. Then I'll have a slice of peanut butter toast after....or if it's closer to noon I'll just wait to eat a salad for lunch.

I have noticed that if I don't eat anything before I workout, I'm not as energized and focused. But, that's just me :tongue:
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the input. I am generally, not a breakfast eater, but have decided that it my be a good idea (duh) to try and eat at least a little something in the morning to help regulate my metabolism. since I am not one to eat first thing out of bed, I might try working out first and then eating :)

Eating breakfast to "regulate" metabolism is a myth. Just eat your daily calories whenever your prefer. Many people skip breakfast purposely as a practice called Intermittent Fasting and have had great results. But if you workout in the AM, and you're hungry when you're done, than go for it =)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Both. Energy and repairing.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I NEED to eat before I work out or I wont have the energy to lift what I lift. To each his own.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of tea ( oh how quaint lol) when I wake up, then workout and have a protein shake for breakfast.