Weight loss with junk food

Options
I know I'm being very dumb here...but I'm just a little confused and interested about nutrition. (Before I ask this don't think I'm saying I WANT to eat junk..I eat very clean and love it..I'm never even tempted to eat a big mac or anything.)
Anyway as an experiment I added onto MFP that all I ate today was KFC and Mcdonalds but put it so that I was still under my daily calorie goal by about 300cals. With this day of junk, it still said I was eating "too few calories" and would have lost a significant amount by january..that's where I'm confused. If I entered for the entire day a craaaaap load of fruit veggies and fish and went OVER my limit by 300cals..it would tell me I'm eating too many and would gain weight. Realistically..would one lose weight through eating junk if it was under their calorie limit?? Or is this where MFP isn't totally reliable?

Replies

• Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Watch the movie "Fat Head". It's a documentary. It can be done, but you have to exercise and be committed to stay in a caloric range, as well. It's really not something I'd recommend, but obviously, it can be done.
  • farrari17
    Options
    Weight loss is simple. You have to intake less calories that you use. It's the first law stuff. Just like an engine. So you could theoretically lose weight by doing exactly what you're doing. However, you'll find that you may not feel as great. Look at your macronutrients, and if you're over in any of them, you may reconsider your diet, because you want to keep the ratios close to about what they have for you, because your body does use each type differently, although it will eventually break down all of them into glucose for the cells to use.

I would advise talking to a dietitian or nutritionist if you want to lose weight and eat healthy. As a nutrition student currently, I think it's fascinating, and after my talk with a dietitian, I decided to go into my current field of study. I'm not qualified though to make any actual remarks on nutrition yet, and if that's true for me, then it's certainly true for at least 90% of the people on the forums giving advice. They can help you out and explain a lot more. Don't take advise from people here without consulting a dietitian, people on here are full of crap, but they want to help a lot.
  • Taratruex
    Taratruex Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You can certainly lose weight eating 1200 calories of KFC and McDonald's. But you will be severely unhealthy with all of the fat/sodium that is used to make those foods. It may get you losing weight but to much fat and sodium will leave you with high cholesterol and high blood pressure among other things.
  • n_rockey
    n_rockey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose that way. It's all about calories in vs. calories out to lose weight. That being said you would probably feel like you were starving all of the time if you actually managed to eat like that for very long and stay within your calories. Not to mention that you wouldn't see nearly as many of the health benefits that should come along with weight loss when done correctly.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i look at eating like i do putting gas in a car. if you put in watered down gas or gas with oil in it in your car then your car will not work right..actually eventually it will either not work or break down. then you have to fix it which takes time and money. sure you are putting fuel in the car but its the wrong kind.

the same goes for your body. you can eat 1200 calories of junk food or 1200 calories of healthy food. which one do you think would make your body not work or break down eventually?
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    While "Calories In < Calories Out " is the basic formula, I, personally have very limited success with this formula when the caloric deficit is solely from eating less, but if my caloric deficit comes from exercizing I do much better with weight loss.

I assume MFP just uses a formula based on numbers, not food types. So, if your numbers are less than your predicted amount needed to maintain, then MFP will deduce a loss. Wieght loss, even at it's best, is not linear for most. Some weeks you will lose more and some weeks less, even at the same deficit. I wish it were more straight forward. "If you eat exactly 355 calories under maintanace a day, you will lose exactly 0.8 pounds per week." ... But it seems to be more of a wiggly-wobbly guesstimates somewhere on the loss-spectrum.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    You can lose "weight" eating anything.
    You can have great body composition eating mostly clean though.
  • tnloser1970
    Options
    Weight loss is simple. You have to intake less calories that you use. It's the first law stuff. Just like an engine. So you could theoretically lose weight by doing exactly what you're doing. However, you'll find that you may not feel as great. Look at your macronutrients, and if you're over in any of them, you may reconsider your diet, because you want to keep the ratios close to about what they have for you, because your body does use each type differently, although it will eventually break down all of them into glucose for the cells to use.

I would advise talking to a dietitian or nutritionist if you want to lose weight and eat healthy. As a nutrition student currently, I think it's fascinating, and after my talk with a dietitian, I decided to go into my current field of study. I'm not qualified though to make any actual remarks on nutrition yet, and if that's true for me, then it's certainly true for at least 90% of the people on the forums giving advice. They can help you out and explain a lot more. Don't take advise from people here without consulting a dietitian, people on here are full of crap, but they want to help a lot.

This is right. Calories in vs calories out. A person can eat nothing but ice cream and still lose weight. However, your body will suffer other health issues because of it I would believe. A dietition is your best bet on this though
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is simply calories in, calories out.

You can get fat by eating too much "healthy" food.

Body composition and health are a completely different discussion though. Depending on the results you want and your personal beliefs about nutrition, a different diet/intake might be right for you.

I am not a fan of cutting out any food group or saying that anything is off limits though. The most successful people I know seem to understand the concept of moderation. You can have anything, you just can't have all of it all the time.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    MFP is a MODEL of the human body that is very simplistic - 3500 calorie deficit = 1 pound of weight loss.

That's not about nutrition or salt or bloat or health.

Is it realistic? Probably not. But it's a useful model for people who want to count calories and use it to help guide better food choices because they use the tools, look at their scale, mirror, and measurements, and adjust the model accordingly.
  • RobKarmic
    RobKarmic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    A weight loss book that was written by an engineer was one sentence long... "To lose weight, you must eat less calories than you consume." simple as this. people who stop eating foods with specific types of nutrients just because they exist in bad foods are ridiculous eat whatever you want as long as it's below your caloric intake
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I know I'm being very dumb here...but I'm just a little confused and interested about nutrition. (Before I ask this don't think I'm saying I WANT to eat junk..I eat very clean and love it..I'm never even tempted to eat a big mac or anything.)
    Anyway as an experiment I added onto MFP that all I ate today was KFC and Mcdonalds but put it so that I was still under my daily calorie goal by about 300cals. With this day of junk, it still said I was eating "too few calories" and would have lost a significant amount by january..that's where I'm confused. If I entered for the entire day a craaaaap load of fruit veggies and fish and went OVER my limit by 300cals..it would tell me I'm eating too many and would gain weight. Realistically..would one lose weight through eating junk if it was under their calorie limit?? Or is this where MFP isn't totally reliable?

Have you ever heard of the Twinkie Diet that a professor did to test this out. Not only did he lose weight, but his cholesterol, BP and all other health indicators improved.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs. Calories out

But eating junk, whether in a calorie deficit or not, might have more of an impact on body composition and health. All that sodium is sure to lead to hypertension, and insufficient protein is sure to lead to muscle loss. Neither of which are conducive for weight loss.

That being said, it really is okay to have an indulgence once a day. If you eat healthy all day, a Big Mac or a cupcake isn't going to ruin, interfere, or otherwise hinder the benefit you will receive from the other foods.
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The MFP predictor is a simple Calculator

Current weight-(((calories in - calories out) multiplied by 35 days) divided by 3500)...it is a tool that assumes you are doing your own nutrient and macro managing. You could eat twinkies all day and loose weight

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

You could also gain muscle and the predicted weight would not be read on your scale, as the muscle would compensate for the fat loss.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    you can't eat very much KFC though... which is very sad :(
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    i look at eating like i do putting gas in a car. if you put in watered down gas or gas with oil in it in your car then your car will not work right..actually eventually it will either not work or break down. then you have to fix it which takes time and money. sure you are putting fuel in the car but its the wrong kind.

the same goes for your body. you can eat 1200 calories of junk food or 1200 calories of healthy food. which one do you think would make your body not work or break down eventually?

We're not cars.

It's not that this isn't good advice. YES it is better to eat healthy. But every meal every day does not have to be vegetables and organic, grass fed protein. Moderation. Live a little.

I'm a single guy who doesn't cook much and doesn't like too many vegetables. I still was able to lose weight and get in shape by watching my calories and exercising. Because that's the most important thing. Watch your calories, work out. Live your life. Moderation. No dieting, just a new way of managing your intake.

So instead of eating 1200 calories of junk food (not healthy) or 1200 calories of healthy food (not fun) find a balance. Also just eat more than 1200 calories, especially if you're exercising.
  • yowla
    yowla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have heard people losing weight on the Twinkie diet and the Potato diet. As long as you stay with in your caloires. But you will be hungry. Eating whole clean foods fill you up faster and longer than junk foods.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options

This article is just insane! I can't wrap my head around it. It really makes you think if the only thing making people unhealthy is just that we cram too much food in our mouths.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I think it;s important to start thinking of this as a lifestyle change instead of a diet. Sure, you can lose weight on junk only, if you keep under your daily calories. But is it sustainable for life? At some point, a "junk only" diet will take its toll on your health....it's just a matter of time.

Moderation is key. I respect the vegetarians and vegans, the macro-obesessed and the "clean" eaters....but it simply isn't me. If I'm going to do this for a lifetime, I need to adapt SOME of their ideas into my plan, but I also want an occasional cheeseburger.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Hey Bree, an easy way to think of it is this:

Weight loss is ENTIRELY in the numbers. Eat less energy than you use per day and you'll lose weight, doesn't matter if you do it on broccoli or big macs.

Health on the other hand, whether you define it as longevity, resistance to chronic disease, just feeling more energetic etc. - that depends on much more than the numbers.

The tricky thing is that other than a few generally-agreed upon factors, what is "healthy" to eat is very debatable.

The agreed upon factors (that I know of) are:

More fruit and vegetables = better
    Less (preferably no) trans fat = better
    Less red meat = better (but that's not because of saturated fat, no one really knows but I suspect it's a much more complicated interaction of things that link red meat to atherosclerosis.)
    More omega 3s = better

Other things you might have heard but that aren't agreed on by the scientific community at all are:

Saturated fat = evil
    Cholesterol = evil
    Carbohydrates = evil

In my opinion, it's best to just keep it simple. Try to eat more fruit and veg, more water, more natural and less processed, and you'll be doing as good as you can. And a big-mac now and then isn't gonna hurt you one bit either.

A really great book that might help open your eyes about nutritionism and all the fads and falsities that it comes with is "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan.