I bought an avocado.. now what?!

Options
ka_42
ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
Hi all! So I bought an avocado and I want to make some guacamole. I don't have a food processor and I don't like tomatoes very much. I know I need a lime... I bought one of those too! Any good recipes/ tips? I'm pretty much going to be eating it alone. How long will the guacamole keep after I've made it?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Replies

• Jelywa
    Jelywa Posts: 13
    Options
    I usually just keep it pretty simple.

1.) Peel avocado and take out seed
    2.) Smash avocado in a bowl
    3.) Finely chop a bit of garlic and add to smashed avocado
    4.) Add a squeeze of lime, a dash of salt and a bit of ground pepper
    5.) Enjoy
  • esco2186
    esco2186 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    it wont last that long if you keep it out..seriously it will turn brown haha but usually what people put in guacamole is tomatoes,onions,cilantro lime juice and salt......avocado by itself you will need salt...seriously its an acquired taste if you are eating it by yourself haha umm usually i just put it in a sanwich or usually i would just heat up a tortilla (corn) and put it in and add salt and some lime...thats the only way my mom would get me to eat it haha i wasnt really like the other hispanic kids! haha
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    lol, I bought one too a while back, and I forgot I had it...so it went to waste. :frown: I know you can slice them and put on salads and in sandwhiches.......a great healthy fat!
  • ka_42
    Options
    Thanks! That's exactly what info I was looking for!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I just mash it up with a fork :) I use onions, tomatoes, salt and pepper, sour cream, and I love adding lime juice but if I don't have it, lemon juice works well too. Also, avocado is great on sandwiches. A quarter of a medium avocado is about 50 calories and is enough for a sandwich. I did that last week ^_^ YUM! It's so tasty with tuna.
  • sawyersmama
    Options
    Simple gucamole? Remove the pit mash it up in a bowl and add some salsa! Easy Peasy :)
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    don't forget the cilantro.
  • inchik
    inchik Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you make guacamole and have some left over, put the avocado pit in the guacamole and then into the fridge, it will keep longer.
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    If you haven't cut open an avocado before here is the best way to do it.

run your knife around the circumference starting at the stem, you will feel the pit in the center, just run the knife around that. Once all the way around take the avocado in both your hands and twist, it should come in two parts with the pit sticking in the center of one side. Take your knife and strike the center of the pit imbedding your knife in it enough so that when you twist the knife left/right it will loosen the pit and you can remove it from the avocado attached to the knife.

Once the pit is out, I score the insides without going through the skin to chunk size, then take a spoon and run it between the green meaty part and the skin, all the insides should come out easily. Then use the suggestions of others for added ingredients.
  • ka_42
    Options
    Simple guacamole? Remove the pit mash it up in a bowl and add some salsa! Easy Peasy :)

ooo.. great idea! Thanks!

Arielle, I've had sandwiches with cream cheese and mashed avocado and turkey... that is SO yummmmyyy!~ They call it the California kid at a local place here. It's really good on a croissant but I'm pretty sure I should next-to-never have a croissant again (they're like over 300 calories alone)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    my advice is to keep it chunky (not creamy) by not mashing the avocado all the way. yum!

paprika, cumin, smoky chipolte, and red pepper flakes are good to add if you like a little spice.

adding black beans and/or diced green peppers is divine too.
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    Dice it, sprinkle with a little lemon juice and a little salt and add to anything... salad, sandwich, eat with chips or pita, put it on your pasta, eat it with fish, or just eat it by itself! Avocados are the most wonderful thing in the world! If you just slice or smash, even without adding salsa or salt or anything, they make a great substitute for other "bad" fat sources. Try using them instead of cheese or cream cheese in different things.
  • noseovertail
    Options
    I refused to try avocado for a long, long time because I thought they looked weird & would taste gross. Now, I love them! I usually take 2 or 3 of them, get the meat really mushy (I HATE chunks, it's a texture thing- I'm weird), add finely chopped sweet onion (a small slice worth), then I add some lemon juice, sea salt and I'm done! I don't like salsa or any tomato in my guacamole. Simple & tasty! I like mine over many store bought or restaurant guacamole as well. Then I eat it with Xochitl tortilla chips because they are my all time favorite. Man, I love avocados. I wish they weren't so fatty.