Running: The physical and the mental

Options
Three weeks ago I woke up feeling angry, frustrated and generally unhappy. Instead of opening up the fridge or the cupboards and feeding into the emotions, I grabbed my mothers running shoes and hit the treadmill.

I've never been a runner, actually, up until that morning I despised it. But as soon as my feet hit those treads it was as if the fog in my head had started to lift. For 3 miles I ran out all of the negativity I had been feeling that morning.

Since that morning, I've been running at least 5 days a week for a minimum of 3 miles. On Monday, I ran my first 10k. Not only have I seen physical improvements, toner legs and my core starting to slim (a little), but I am in the best mental place I've been in for years. It's such a fantastic feeling.

My new goal isn't a number on a scale, but a number on the mileage log.

13.1 here I come.

Replies

• nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    awesome! runnin is one of the BEST stress, anger etc relievers. idk something about it! congrats on ur 10k! :) i love to run, but with two kids i hardly ever do it. every once in a while on the treadmill but its just not the same. crazy thing is i will run 10k's when i sign up for them with no training. anyways, why did u take ur moms shoes?

i just saw ur profile pic. u are very pretty! u could be like an actress or somethig! :) just a compliment as i am straight!! :)
  • _Shelley_
    Options
    awesome! runnin is one of the BEST stress, anger etc relievers. idk something about it! congrats on ur 10k! :) i love to run, but with two kids i hardly ever do it. every once in a while on the treadmill but its just not the same. crazy thing is i will run 10k's when i sign up for them with no training. anyways, why did u take ur moms shoes?

Because I don't have running shoes :( But they are definitely on my Christmas list!

I used to go riding and my clip shoes just don't cut it lol
  • yowla
    yowla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have ran for a few years. Since I got back from vacation 2 weeks ago I haven't felt like running. Mainly because I am so tired from working 50-60 hrs a week 6 days a week. But you have motivated me and I am going to start my running again. I have a 25k in May to train for.
  • _Shelley_
    Options

i just saw ur profile pic. u are very pretty! u could be like an actress or somethig! :) just a compliment as i am straight!! :)

I replied before you added more...thank you! It's greatly appreciated.
  • _Shelley_
    Options
    I have ran for a few years. Since I got back from vacation 2 weeks ago I haven't felt like running. Mainly because I am so tired from working 50-60 hrs a week 6 days a week. But you have motivated me and I am going to start my running again. I have a 25k in May to train for.

You can do anything you put your mind too. Good luck.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get fitted for a shoe that matches your stride and step! It'll make all the difference! :)
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Your a runner.

“If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.”
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Well Done Shelley, do you have a smart phone? If so you should get Runkeeper, I use it to log all my runs, and the stats and graphs it gives me really shows improvements! It was the best thing I ever did for my running, apart from buy shoes! This is me http://runkeeper.com/user/pyrowill/activity/132598574
  • MMark2012
    MMark2012 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 10K! I am a runner as well. I have found that people can be divided into groups.
    1. People who love to run, just plain love it
    2. People who do it, only because they will tone-up and lose weight
    3. People who despise it.

I truly "LOVE" to run. It clears my head and helps me focus on important issues. I, of course like the benefits of running as well.(fitness,

From doctor Seus. Here are some who like to run. They run for fun, in the hot, hot sun!:smile:

I wish I could upload a photo I have. Don't know how to when posting replies
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Way to go! Running is such a great feeling!
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    the mental of running for me is the best...the physical are just perks! welcome to the running world!! it gets wayyy addicting. ;)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 10K! I am a runner as well. I have found that people can be divided into groups.
    1. People who love to run, just plain love it
    2. People who do it, only because they will tone-up and lose weight
    3. People who despise it.

1. Runners
    2. Joggers
    3. Everyone else

Haha, seriously, though, congratulations on taking the first steps (pun totally intended) to becoming a runner. We're a crazy bunch, but you seem to be a natural--half marathon will be a piece of cake for you :-)
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    This is what it is all about. I can push for faster times and newer distances and smaller clothes etc but the mental piece of mind is really what gets me out there.

Good for you.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I keep trying to tell my husband that I am easier to deal with after a run :) It started as physical but definitely has become mental for me.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    It's nice to see all the positivity of running :smile: I too started up a few months ago and yes you are right, you feel great afterwards. Sometimes at the beginning it's like "no not again" but that doesn't last long!

I do like the idea of getting shoes fitted, my feet get pretty sore so I think I'll hit our local "running store" here.
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I used to love to run but I am so heavy now it just really hurts to run. Plus I think there is a mental block for me since I typically only because I have to for my job.
  • melindadunston
    Options
    I started at the beginning of this year and LOVE IT!!! I ran my first 13.1 in October. It was one of the best days of my life! Running has def helped me be a better mom and wife. I feel like a whole person again:)
  • nikkiv16
    nikkiv16 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Your a runner.

“If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.”
  • nikkiv16
    nikkiv16 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love that!! Thanks for the motivation.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I did my first half in june this past summer. I never EVER though I could run 13 miles.

To this day I still do not love running.

Some runs, I love, Some, I feel like I cant even run a mile. But the way I feel after is why I do it. And definately a great way to clear your head.

cheers!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!