Are you supposed to eat AT or BELOW your BMR?

Options
& what's the difference between your BMR and your TDEE? My BMR is 1472 and my TDEE is 1863. I'm 5'5, 136 pounds, wanting to be 125. How many calories should I be eating? Thanks!

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    This explains it all for you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

But to put it simply, with that little amount to lose, you should be looking at a 10% or 250 cals deficit from your TDEE, so 1613 - 1676 cals.
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ plus your exercise calories otherwise it'll put your net way below your BMR, you don't want to go below that.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    unless you are seriously overweight, always always eat ABOVE your BMR. Follow the link suggested above which explains it all well.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    above. somewhere between the two will give you weight loss. BMR is what you'd burn in a coma TDEE is what you burn in a day. :)
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You looks pretty slim already. I agree 100% with the above link... and would also suggest you incorporate some lifting to see some toning effects.
    Works wonders for us girls who are so close to our goal!
  • lauren3101
    Options
    ^^^^ plus your exercise calories otherwise it'll put your net way below your BMR, you don't want to go below that.

Depends if her TDEE includes exercise - I explained this to someone recently and left that bit out, and when I checked their food diary a couple of weeks later, they were eating 20% below their TDEE AND their exercise cals, and were putting on weight. :embarassed:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    If you go with the method everyone is suggesting above, do not eat your exercise calories back.
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    your BMR is what you burn in a coma anything extra such as brushing your teeth and showering totaling your TDEE so if your Basal (BMR) 1440 + 400 for extra calories burned throughout the day your TDEE= 1840 and also add any exercise you do throught the day
  • lauren3101
    Options
    your TDEE= 1840 and also add any exercise you do throught the day

I'm not sure if you mean she should eat back her exercise cals as well but if you do - op please DON'T do this.

Your TDEE is meant to include your calories burnt through exercise when you set your activity level (be honest). So you take your TDEE, subtract 250 cals, and don't eat above that. Simples.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    BMR is the floor and TDEE is the ceiling, you need to eat somewhere in between. I eat 200 over BMR because that's what works for me.I'm not a huge fan of TDEE because there are too many assumptions of what you might burn in a days activity.
  • Shaybug
    Shaybug Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you go with the method everyone is suggesting above, do not eat your exercise calories back.

this
  • 01lowbird
    Options
    I would subtract more than 250 cals from your tdee otherwise you are just pissing in the wind. minus 250 a day is a good way to get people to stop cutting due to lack of results. The norm is -500 cals. minus 500 cals a day is 1 lb fat loss per week.
  • lauren3101
    Options
    I would subtract more than 250 cals from your tdee otherwise you are just pissing in the wind. minus 250 a day is a good way to get people to stop cutting due to lack of results. The norm is -500 cals. minus 500 cals a day is 1 lb fat loss per week.

She has only 11lb to lose. When people have that little to lose, it's normally best to aim for 1/2lb fat loss a week, therefore 250 cals a day deficit.