Getting Calloused Hands from treadmill

Options
Does anyone know how to prevent getting callouses on your hands from going to the gym? I really think they are from doing the treadmill because I put it on a very high incline & I hold on to the bar so I don't go flying off. lol. I also do the weight machines too which could be adding to the problem. I don't see anyone else wearing the half gloves when they are on the treadmill, like what people wear when they lift weights & I don't want to look like a re-re. ; ) lol. Any suggestions?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Slow down or reduce the incline so you don't have to hold on?
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Don't hold on. Put it at a lower incline. Nobody needs to walk at an incline SO high that you have to hold on to stay upright.
  • qpc1263
    Options
    the callouses are surely from weight lifting without gloves. Try wearing them when you are weight lifting and see if it helps.
  • mizkoukla
    Options
    Definitely bring down your incline. Or slow down. Holding on to the bar can decrease calorie burn by about 40%. So basically you are completely negating your calorie burn from your incline. So I suggest start at lower inclines going faster or bring it down slowly until you feel confident enough to walk without falling off.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Isn't holding on while you're walking at an incline counter productive?
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Jillian would kick your *kitten* if she saw you hanging on hard enough to cause callouses. Just sayin........
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    If you have to hold on to the treadmill you're doing it wrong. A high incline only works if you are actually doing the work, not half assing it and holding on. Lower incline or speed and let go to get a more effective workout.

As far as from weight lifting, THat could be the issue. I haven't had an issue with that but I know a lot of women tend to be preventative and wear the gloves...Since it seems like you have super sensative skin I would try that with the weights to see what happens.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how to prevent getting callouses on your hands from going to the gym? I really think they are from doing the treadmill because I put it on a very high incline & I hold on to the bar so I don't go flying off. lol. I also do the weight machines too which could be adding to the problem. I don't see anyone else wearing the half gloves when they are on the treadmill, like what people wear when they lift weights & I don't want to look like a re-re. ; ) lol. Any suggestions?

You're doing it wrong then
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Quit holding on to the bar.........Jillian would not approve of this behavior.
  • Karaboo
    Karaboo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Lol thanks everyone...I will definitely be lowering my incline & stop "half assing it" haha. Thanks for the advice!
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I know it's been said already, but why are you on so high of an incline? Set it so that you are properly doing the work. & buy workout gloves!