Trying To Tone After Weight Loss

Options
I lost about 120 pounds since I started my weight loss last December. Everything's great but I need to tone to get rid of some of the hanging skin and belly fat. I'm looking for some definition but have no interest in having huge muscles. Do you think I can get the results I want from the weight machines or will the free weights give me better results? My local Y has Strive equipment, which works out different areas of the muscle in different sets.

I like cardio but haven't really got into the weights yet. Do I need to have protein shakes to help with the definition? I'm definitely new when it comes to weight training. Any advise is appreciated!

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    You can use both weight machines and free weights. Send a friend request to Stroutman on here, he can give great advice.
  • evans72002
    evans72002 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I recomment this book, New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Our Y gives us three free fitness orientation sessions. Maybe you could see if yours does and set up an appointment to review the machines and free weight areas.

:-)

Good luck! Im just starting my journey in weights so Im not really much of a help.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of protein, drink lots of water...and work with weights. I have also lost 120 pounds and am working on this also : )
  • grinner30
    grinner30 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Lift weights and drink water! The more lean muscle for the skin to attach to the better. Unfortunately as I am learning time is the other factor. The other things that we have to realize that it may never totally disappear : ( But I am going to try like hell to see it go away!

Good luck!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I lost about 120 pounds since I started my weight loss last December. Everything's great but I need to tone to get rid of some of the hanging skin and belly fat. I'm looking for some definition but have no interest in having huge muscles. Do you think I can get the results I want from the weight machines or will the free weights give me better results? My local Y has Strive equipment, which works out different areas of the muscle in different sets.

I like cardio but haven't really got into the weights yet. Do I need to have protein shakes to help with the definition? I'm definitely new when it comes to weight training. Any advise is appreciated!

Eat your protein if you can.
    Every week I make about 6-8lbs of chicken breast just for lunch.
    chicken, turkey, tuna, beef etc.....

Eat your macros.
    Take omega complex pills.
    even creatine can helpo.
    But in order to have definition youll either need to lose more fat or gain muscle.

Drop cardio or reduce it to a mild brisk walk.
    Lift heavy and eat about 10% above TDEE.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    http://www.stronglifts.com
  • lostmyreligion
    Options
    bump...i have the same questions
  • 3lilmonkeysxoxo
    3lilmonkeysxoxo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Since my weight loss journey started a few years ago, I have lost 130 pounds. I am in the same boat - tons of excess skin everywhere on my body - belly (upper & lower), back, thighs, arms. I have tried everything including weights and it hasn't helped me =/
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the free weights. This will activate more muscles than machines.

Also, your diet determines whether you will gain muscle. Keep eating at a deficit and incorporate more strength training into your workout.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    1) Free weights would be better, since they don't restrict your range on movement and work the stabilsing muscles surrounding the main one you are trying to work.

2) Definition is obtained by losing fat (calorie deficit) and gaining muscle. You can't spot reduce fat but the certain muscles you can target with certain exercises.

3) I would focus on compound lifts rather than isolations (although you can do these as well if you want) Purely because they give the most bang for your buck. They are (in my opinion) the easiest way to change your body, and you get stronger in the process! :)

4) You won't get huge muscle unless you train and eat for huge muscles. Yes, they will grow to some extent, more so when you move to maintenance, but they won't be massive.

5) You don't "need" protein shakes. A lot of people use them as a tool because they may not get their protein requirement through food alone. If you struggle to get enough through food, they'll probably be useful. If you get enough with food, then they're not really necessary. If you're lifting weights, I'd aim for around 1g per lb lean mass, in protein.

6) Finally, just find a routine that you enjoy, that works for you, and have fun with it. I know not everyone's the same, but a lot of people really enjoy lifting once they start, and they start to see improvements in their body and strength. What could be better than liking the exercise you do AND getting results :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

It's a man, just saying :)

To the OP, there is a book of this called just "the new rules of lifting" Not that I think it makes any difference, IMO women and men have no reason to train differently, I just thought I'd mention that.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Can I first just say, WOW! Congratulations on your huge results! Good for you buddy!! 120 pounds in a year is phenomenal work and you should be proud.

And then, what everyone else says, just time and lifting heavy things :-) Try to engage many muscles in your exercises and don't try to hyper-focus on individual muscles.
  • CrazyEye88
    CrazyEye88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recomment this book, New Rules of Lifting [for Women].

Ditto.

IMHO, you don't need protein shakes. That book gives good advice about how much protein to take in, but with real food rather than supplements.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

This. The machines have their place, and might be beneficial for you if you're just starting out. But the free weights are definitely a better choice. You work more muscles with free weights, but if your form is not correct, you run the risk of injuring yourself. Is there someone at the gym (like a trainer) that you can go over form with?
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Muscles can help fill in the extra skin, if there's only a little, but if you have a lot of extra skin (I do as well), you may want to consult with a plastic surgeon. It's on my list when I win the lottery tonight.
  • DJRichCT
    DJRichCT Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Yes, my Y did train me for the free weights. I'm trying to get the proper form. I guess it will take a while to get used to. I'm so used to doing the cardio that I feel like I'm cheating myself if I don't do an hour on the treadmill. But maybe I should do less on the treadmill and concentrate more on the weights.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    But maybe I should do less on the treadmill and concentrate more on the weights.

YES! That's what my focus has been! I love the changes I'm seeing. Not so much on the scale, but seeing my body firm up and take on a different (better) shape has been so satisfying. And personally, lifting weights is so much more fun than walking on a treadmill (aka hamster wheel). I get bored in 5 minutes doing cardio on a treadmill or elliptical - unless I'm running.
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    heavy lifting is the answer here, don't worry muscle building is a very very slow proggress so you wont get big muscle.