Working out after 8pm

Options
So since work has become super hectic and it depresses me to get out of bed in the morning before the sun rises... what are your thoughts on working out after 8 pm? is this something that should be avoided... ?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So since work has become super hectic and it depresses me to get out of bed in the morning before the sun rises... what are your thoughts on working out after 8 pm? is this something that should be avoided... ?

Try it. My only concern would be how it effects your sleep.
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    On the weeks my hubby works nights I get the baby to go to be around 8 and then I start my workout. I actually find that I sleep better.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. Actually helps me sleep better.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I used to run and work out frequently after midnight due to my work schedule. Its not optimal but its better than not doing it at all and its much better than that post work drink.
  • liswolt
    liswolt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    really who cares when you get it in... at least you are
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Lots of people do it. There is no "right" time to work out, do it when it's easiest for you to make the time, and that you know you won't have a hard time sticking with.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I do it. It works for me pretty well. I do my workout, shower, and go to bed exhausted.
  • Rizabees
    Options
    Why should it be avoided? If it works with your schedule then do it.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    pretty sure it causes instant death
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i think any workout is a good one! dont be worried bout the time of day, just do it! lol :D
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    8 pm is usually when we start our exercise due to work and daughter. Whatever works!
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Starting Next week, I plan on getting my workouts in around 9pm. My gym doesn't close until 10pm and my son goes to bed at 8:30pm, so I plan on putting him to bed and then going to get some exercise in! I think it is a good Idea! Late night workouts also help me sleep better as well!
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Try it. My only concern would be how it effects your sleep.

This. I don't recommend working out 3 hrs before bed IF you have sleep issues. Now, if you don't, all bets are off. A intense workout can make you tired but cause more fitful sleep if your a person sensitive to adrenaline.
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find that if I work out after 7-ish that it takes me forever to fall asleep. But, it really depends on you. If it doesn't effect your sleep then go for it! Good luck!
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Try it. I've heard that it helps some people sleep better...

If I work out that late though, I get totally amped and am up all night.

Everyone is different.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Why do you think it should be avoided? If you have a logical explanation for this then avoid it, if you haven't then don't. Give it a go, if it doesn't work for you, then you will know.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I work out after 8pm too. It affects my sleep slightly, it doesnt cause insomnia though.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Try it and see if it works for you. I don't think that I could do it (but I'm not an early morning exerciser, either), but my husband did this frequently when he was in grad school and our son was younger, and it worked out fine for him. I think he would do it now if he could but our gym is at work and isn't open that late.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    I work out late since I am already up at 4am to get ready for work. Then with full time college, 3 kids, etc... It took about 2 weeks to get used to being able to go to bed after a cool down and shower, but I did adjust. Now I can't sleep when I don't have a chance to workout, :laugh: Do it anyway you can!
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My workouts are 1.5-2 hours and usually in the 7p-11p time span and go to bed around midnight. Never any issues getting to bed, maybe you'll feel energized for a little, but then your muscles relax and drift to sleep.