5'8" (173cm) 183 lb (83 kg) 33 yr old female with PCOS

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm 33 living in a tropical area of Australia and trying to get motivated to make some real changes!

As it says above, I'm currently 5'8" (173cm) 183 lb (83 kg). You can check my profile for more info.

I love my MFP friends, they're so inspirational. So I'm looking for an MFP friend/s who are similar in size and weight to me for specific diet and fitness goals. Not just general support, but to work on goals together and motivate/push.

DIET: Generally I eat quite well, I eat a lot of veg (I'm a pescetarian), but I have a sweet tooth and I drink too much (what can I say? I'm Aussie and it's damn hot here. I've cut back but need to do more 'booze-free' weekends).

FITNESS: I'm not very fit, but I do walk almost every day. I'm really struggling to lose weight, and I think I need to seriously increase my exercise to get my metabolism going. I would love to find someone on here so we motivate each other BUT also compete with to increase the desire to achieve our goals.

HEALTH: my overall health is very good despite my weight. However I have Poly-Cystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), which i believe makes it hard to lose weight, although there is no definitive answer to this from the medical profession. However, over 50% of women with PCOS are obese, so there is a link- but whether it's 'chicken or egg' is unknown. It is thought that low GI diets help. I'd love anyone who has advice/personal experience in this area to share their knowledge with me!

Thanks ya'll, looking forward to meeting you :flowerforyou:

Replies

• captainsuperpants
    captainsuperpants Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    No one? Bummer.
  • Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hello! Lovely to meet you! I have endometriosis and also suffered from PCOS! I am 42, 5'7 and a bit and weight around 177lbs. I start off really well and then drink too much and dont exercise enough. Feel free to add me and we can motivate each other! I am in the UK xx
  • RoxySherwood89
    RoxySherwood89 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    HI :)

Im 23 5ft 4.5inch .. 191lbs (87kg) and i too have PCOS.

There is a link between us having this and the weight loss, my Dr says its due to insulin levels and hormone in balance (im in the uk) although personally i too believe there is a link.

Feel free to add me ... we can do it together!
  • wendyj910
    wendyj910 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm not the same height and weight as you...but I'm a fellow PCOS gal. It's a struggle to lose the weight but I'm slowly doing it!
  • Steellotus
    Steellotus Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    5'0" 176 lbs PCOS as well. been having luck with reduced carbs (35 %). I KNOW I have insulin issues because I had gestational diabetes.

May not work for everyone, but it works for me! Good luck!
  • darkangel4066
    darkangel4066 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am also a 33 Year old female 5'0 and struggle with PCOS as well. I find it very hard to lose weight and keep it off...you are welcome to add me as well and we can motivate each other ;)
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

I'm shorter than you, and had a higher starting weight - but am a fellow soul cyster!

Meds-wise, I'm on Dianette and Metformin.

However, regular exercise certainly did a lot more for me than any artificial means. High intensity cardio (zumba, largely) and kettlebells sessions saw me blitzing fat, and over the coming months I've been balancing cardio with heavy lifting to shape up the last little bits.

Diet-wise, I've dabbled with both low GI and low carb (I found the former far easier than the latter), and came to the realisation that portion control and plenty of fruit and veg worked for me. Lots of water, and everything in moderation - including, sometimes, moderation.

Hope this helps some - please drop me a line if you want to know anything further :)

xx
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I am 33, 5'9", 180lbs. I do not have PCOS, but i do have Hashimotos thyroid disease so it is difficult to lose weight. I am getting back on the right track though, playing intense tennis 4-5 times a week, and I've started using weights. Lets motivate eachother!
  • NataBee
    NataBee Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I'm 24, 5'7" & 195lbs. Goal weight roughly 150lbs but i'm more about feeling healthy as a goal.

I'd love to have similar size/goal friends as inspiration and motivation so add me :)
  • smurfy641
    Options
    Hi! We are roughly the same size :) I'm not on any meds for anything but have always struggled with my weight...still I'm lighter now than I was before I had kids but I was once down to 153 and have gained about 18 pounds since then. It sucks to be climbing back up again so I'm struggling to get a handle on it before it gets out of control :) Welcome and nice to meet u!
    As far as exercise goes i love Turbo Jam and Chalene Extreme but I am just getting restarted doing them...struggling to stay motivated. I organized a weight-loss challenge with a bunch of facebook friends...we all put in 5 dollars and whoever loses the most pounds by January 20th wins the money...just starting today and I'm pretty excited about it!
    I am waiting delivery of some IT WORKS products and am curious to see if they will help me finally lose some pounds..i was working out about an hour and a half almost everyday for a good month or two and while i was seeing some change in my inches i wasn't seeing the number on the scale drop and it was extremely frustrating! So eventually i got mad and gave up asnd put on a few more pounds. Then all my clothes started getting really tight and i got concerned enough to do something again.
    I struggle alot with food..i freakin LOVE to eat and I really am hungry alot so i fight with myself constantly to eat right and eat less...that's my biggest battle. I eat alot of protein and try to stay away from carbs when I'm really working to lose weight like i am now..i have some whey protein powder that i make a shake with when I'm super starving to keep me from eating as much..i mix it with either just water or half 2% milk and half water to cut down on calories in it...
  • glahlstedt
    glahlstedt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Yup, you should add me! I am 5' 8" too, and I am 189! I want to be 150, but I am striving for 170! After having my daughter 4.5 years ago, my weight went up by 100lbs! Also, taking this weight loss day by day! I would be happy to do this journey right along side with you!:blushing:
  • captainsuperpants
    Options
    5'0" 176 lbs PCOS as well. been having luck with reduced carbs (35 %). I KNOW I have insulin issues because I had gestational diabetes.

May not work for everyone, but it works for me! Good luck!

Thank you! I have tried cutting back on carbs, and it has certainly helped in the past. I looooove bread and all that stuff, but mostly i refrain from eating it. i'll check my levels on here and change it if need be. Cheers.
  • momto3ts
    Options
    Hello! I'm Lauren. I'm 27 yrs old from California, USA. I have three children and I'm 5 ft 3 in & 186lbs. My weight goal is to be 145 lbs (pre children weight). I've been committed since Monday, and have exercised every day so far! Excited that I've stuck it through for this long since typically I'm a habitual flake! Nice to meet you all!
  • captainsuperpants
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

I'm shorter than you, and had a higher starting weight - but am a fellow soul cyster!

Meds-wise, I'm on Dianette and Metformin.

However, regular exercise certainly did a lot more for me than any artificial means. High intensity cardio (zumba, largely) and kettlebells sessions saw me blitzing fat, and over the coming months I've been balancing cardio with heavy lifting to shape up the last little bits.

Diet-wise, I've dabbled with both low GI and low carb (I found the former far easier than the latter), and came to the realisation that portion control and plenty of fruit and veg worked for me. Lots of water, and everything in moderation - including, sometimes, moderation.

Hope this helps some - please drop me a line if you want to know anything further :)

xx

You look amazing!

I don't take any meds. I never will for PCOS, the Pill sent me mental in the past (both times i tried it) and i don't think i need to. Each to their own of course, but for me personally i'm not a meds person.

i wonder if the serious exercise increase would make a huge difference, which is why i'm starting 30 day shred tomorrow. Sounds like it made a huge difference to you!

My cousin also has PCOS and is super fit. i don't think she knew she had it until she was trying to conceive because she had no symptoms except for almost non-existent periods.

I wonder if it's something to do with needing to put those excess male hormones to use?
  • captainsuperpants
    Options
    Hi! We are roughly the same size :) I'm not on any meds for anything but have always struggled with my weight...still I'm lighter now than I was before I had kids but I was once down to 153 and have gained about 18 pounds since then. It sucks to be climbing back up again so I'm struggling to get a handle on it before it gets out of control :) Welcome and nice to meet u!
    As far as exercise goes i love Turbo Jam and Chalene Extreme but I am just getting restarted doing them...struggling to stay motivated. I organized a weight-loss challenge with a bunch of facebook friends...we all put in 5 dollars and whoever loses the most pounds by January 20th wins the money...just starting today and I'm pretty excited about it!
    I am waiting delivery of some IT WORKS products and am curious to see if they will help me finally lose some pounds..i was working out about an hour and a half almost everyday for a good month or two and while i was seeing some change in my inches i wasn't seeing the number on the scale drop and it was extremely frustrating! So eventually i got mad and gave up asnd put on a few more pounds. Then all my clothes started getting really tight and i got concerned enough to do something again.
    I struggle alot with food..i freakin LOVE to eat and I really am hungry alot so i fight with myself constantly to eat right and eat less...that's my biggest battle. I eat alot of protein and try to stay away from carbs when I'm really working to lose weight like i am now..i have some whey protein powder that i make a shake with when I'm super starving to keep me from eating as much..i mix it with either just water or half 2% milk and half water to cut down on calories in it...

Thanks Smurfy! the moneypot is a good idea. We did it at work a few years ago (Biggest Loser Challenge) and without even really thinking we were trying, everyone lost weight! i'm hoping some MFP friends and i can challenge each other in different ways.
  • apa1991
    apa1991 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm exactly the same height and weight as you are, and would love to have someone to help motivate me!