Incorporating Exercise with Bad Knees Any Thoughts?

I have one partial knee replacement and am in need of another on my right leg. I want to exercise however I don't want to cause more damage. Is there anyone out there exercising regularly with knee issues?
Thanks, krub74

Replies

• kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    bump
  • I have osteo arthritis in both knees. Although very pain full as you lose weight its easier. I go hiking alot to strenghten my knees i wont do lunges or run it causes to much pain. My Dr. says I need both knees replaced. I refuse.
  • Hi, I have knock knees and as I got heavier they started to hurt while walking or doing yoga so I switched to swimming. I swam for about a year 3 times a week and although I've put on more weight :-( my knees are in better shape now.

Now I can walk fast again and do most yoga postures (taking care of the knees). I still swim about once a week with my mom who is now 80 and it's been very good for her too.

Swimming is expensive and time consuming and taking care of my hair was a constant, but it sure helps my knees. Hope this helps.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    I would suggest talking to your doctor and seeing what he/she recommends. Walking tends to be a pretty good exercise, but I am not sure about after knee replacement.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Swimming and other water activities will be of a great benefit for people with bad knees or other joint problems.

Cycling can also be beneficial if the knee issue is not completely debilitating.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    My husband has been dealing with this the past couple years and his doctors have advised him to avoid any weight bearing exercise including walking, of course it depends on how bad the damage is whether walking will help or hurt. It has been very frustrating for him, BUT he loves riding his bike and this works very well for him for cardio. He also has been to physical therapy and learned a lot of good calisthenics to do both to help him lose weight and strengthen the muscles supporting the knee to reduce pain. Good luck!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    I have an old knee sprain that's probably gonna have to have medical attention, surgery or something, in the near future. Torn meniscus. I can swim, run, and lift weights with fairly little problem. The weight lifting is particularly good because I work on strengthening the muscles around my knees. With that said, talking to your doctor is the best plan.
  • jjpavio
    jjpavio Posts: 24 Member
    Swimming is the #1 Knee friendly exercise. Yoga is very good too. Walking can be wonderful, but you will need to invest in solid wallking shoes that support your heel so that your knees and hips are properly aligned.

I will ditto everyone who suggests checking with your doctor. He/she is the utlimate authority on this subject and may also suggest orthotics or insoles for walking.

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, so ALL my joints are "bum" joints. If I don't move, I am in pain. If I move too much, it can cause pain, so be patient with yourself as you learn what level of activity is just right for you. You'll see that as you lose weight and begin to move, it will get easier to move and you'll be able to slowly increase the amount of activity that you can do.

Best of luck!
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    I do not have bad knees but I do have osteoarthirits in my right hip! They will not do a replacement until I am fifty! It sucks really bad! I work through the pain and will not let it defeat me! I stretch a lot, and try to hit the hot tub before I work out. It helps me get through it. I am in pain everyday, so I know how you feel! Feel free to add me!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Swimming, water aerobics, weight lifting, yoga, elliptical, recumbent bike...

I have severe patellar malalignment and have had an osteotomy with a lateral release and vmo advance on one knee, which left me with diminished range of motion and screws down the front of my tibia on that side. My other knee has a very unstable patella which dislocates and eventually needs to have the same surgery. Both knees have grade 4 chondromalacia (bone on bone cartilage damage).

I bought knee braces (Donjoy Tru-Pull lites) from an online brace retailer -- buy medical grade braces/supports that are designed for your medical condition. I also find that taking Glucosamine and an Omega 3 help as well.

Don't let knee issues stop you. Losing weight and building muscle will only help your knees.