How to weigh food (meats)

Options
I have the scale. When I count the calories do I weigh the cut of meat or fish before or after I cook it?

Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    before.

You may overestimate calories if you trim fat after tracking/weighing though, so be cognisant (sp?) of that.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Before unless the calculator you're using says otherwise but a before measurement will be more accurate.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    One fun problem is ground beef. Calories are for the whole thing. If it's 80/20 you aren't drinking the fat that cooks off. At least I hope not....
  • lynnacuff
    Options
    i weigh mine after it is cooked.
  • nearptr
    Options
    It depends upon which you have data for.

If your data is for cooked, weigh it after cooking. If your data is for raw, weigh it raw...
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It depends upon which you have data for.

If your data is for cooked, weigh it after cooking. If your data is for raw, weigh it raw...

This. Generally the database tells you if it's raw vs. cooked. I always measure raw because I find it far easier to weigh and measure things as I'm cooking rather than after I'm done. Bear in mind that some of the nutritional data for meat in MFP can be pretty wonky and far off. If a number seems weirdly high or low, try to confirm calorie count with other items in the database or from other sources online.