Help, I'm frustrated!

Options
The scale this morning said that I gained 3 pounds in one day! I don't know how this is possible. I was under my calorie goal yesterday and even worked out. I'm doing the C25K plan and last night did Week 1, Day 2. My friend seems to think it could be water retention and muscle. I did eat some salty food last night for dinner. Could it be that I didn't drink enough water? My diary is viewable. I appreciate anyone's advice.

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, not drinking enough water can make the body hold onto more water.

If you ate 10500 calories over your TDEE yesterday, then I am sorry to say, you got fat weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    your diary isnt viewable
  • vegapsi
    Options
    1 lb gain would require 3500 excess calories. 3x3500 = 10500 excess calories. Did you eat that much in excess? No. It's ok. The scale will vary. It will go up and down and stay the same some days/weeks. Water retention could be a large part of it. Just keep doing your thing, staying on track and being consistent and it will work itself out.
    The scale for me didn't move for 3 months but I took pictures along the way and my body composition sure changed. The scale is a good tool but it only tells some of the story, take it with a grain of salt 
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is fluid retention of some sort. What sort? Who cares, it is fluid your body wants/needs right now. Your body will shed it when it's done needing it. Can you speed it up by drinking buckets of water? No idea, but it can't hurt and will help you feel like you are doing something positive. Relax, it is NOT overnight fat.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    The scale is not always our friend. I am a daily weigher, even though I know I shouldn't, sometimes I'll go a few days where I've "gained" 1 or 2 pounds and then eventually it evens back out and I lose again. It is unlikely you've gained 3 pounds of fat in only 1 or 2 days. A lot of things can affect your scale weight...working out, salty food, water retention, your period or constipation. Your weight will fluctuate, often daily, and if you find it discouraging it might be better to pick only one day a week to weigh yourself. Don't stress about it, just keep doing what you're doing, and if it continues, re-evaluate your program and make adjustments.

Also, take pictures and measurements every few weeks, much more concrete proof of your body changing than your scale weight.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates and scales aren't always accurate. If your using a digital scale try weighing yourself, reset it and weigh yourself again. The variation was bothering me so I went and bought a beam scale. The kind most doctor office's use. I got a good deal for one that came out of a doctor's office on craigslist. It's very accurate and repeatable.
  • Inarific
    Options
    Sorry about that. My diary is NOW viewable.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Many reasons, all of them annoying: maybe you needed to go to the bathroom, maybe your clothes weighed more that day. Maybe you drank a lot of water.

Get a tape measure and measure yourself. The scale is only one indication as to how you are doing, and it's not even the best one.
  • Inarific
    Options
    Thank you all for your replys. Stephdeeable, I do weigh myself everyday. I probably shouldn't, but it's so hard not to. I really haven't been measuring myself. I should start. I'll try and drink tons of water today and hope that does something.
  • Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You have to do whatever works for you but I only ever quit when I weigh myself frequently and don't like what the scales say. I now measure, see how my clothes are fitting and weigh once a month.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate over 10,000 calories yesterday, you didn't gain fat. So relax, drink some water and don't worry. :)
  • Cristina. I got into a bad place weighing myself everyday. I got depressed and wanted to quit. I had my roommate hide my scale. Have Shawn hide it and give it to you once a week. It takes about a week for your body to change that's why weighing once a week is a better idea. I hate water weight. It's the most frustrating thing ever. Keep it up!