Whiney Point - Lessons Learned

Options
Thought I'd throw this out there, though I'm sure it's been mentioned many times....

I have never done much in the way of "traditional" exercise. I've always counted my lifestyle activities as my cardio, embraced walks, played tag with my kids in the yard, taken the stairs... etc, etc, etc. :smile:

I didn't think I *liked* traditional exercise.:grumble: Decided I needed to do something different...... purchased and have been using my exercise bike 3-4 times a week, and I learned something about myself.

There's no other way to say it: I start out WHINEY. :sad: :sick: :grumble: I'll tell myself "I'm going to do at least a mile" or two, or whatever it is...... and you know what? I'm one of those persons who sweat, get red faces, frequently get a headache at the start of intense exercise..... :noway: after really paying attention, I realize I've looked for every type of excuse to stop, or not start in the first place, and I'm learning to tell myself to "get over it" and just keep going.

And you know what? After that first two miles, the competitive side of me kicks in..... I don't feel like crap anymore, things are warming up and blood is flowing properly, and I start telling myself "I'm going to go three miles".... reach that 3 mile point, and I get to the "well, I'm only at 15 minutes, I'm going to get to 20", and so on, and so forth. My "short" rides are now 6+ miles, and my long rides are over 10 miles.... yes, I'm still a novice, and I'm still a beginner at this exercise thing, but it's great for ME, and I recognize that and embrace it. :drinker: I feel GREAT after I get past that first two miles, great enough to go way farther than I originally intended when I sat my tush down on the bike seat. :bigsmile:

If you're in the same position I was in, give yourself a shot.... analyse yourself, figure out your "whiney point", and push past it.

I FEEL better. I am improving, and I'm proud of my progress. And shhhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone, but I kinda like this exercise thing. :wink: :laugh:

Replies

• skroll
    skroll Posts: 24
    Options
    Just keep on moving! One step at a time! You can do it! Congratulations on your progress!
  • rachel41
    rachel41 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!:wink:
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    WOO HOO! Now you need a real bike so you can get out in the fresh air and become a true addict...:) Thought the beautiful weather did help the medicine go down on Saturday...:)
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks I needed this today
  • ANGELAWHALEY
    Options
    DITTO! I DID 3 MILES LAST WEEK IN 50 MIN! A RECORD FOR ME, I WALKED 2MIN-RAN 3MIN THE WHOLE WAY! AND WHEN THAT WHINEY ***** IN MY HEAD OPENED HER MOUTH I LET THE JILIAN IN MY HEAD YELL AT HER TO SHUT UP! LOL! -NO I AM NOT ON MEDICATION LOL!
  • bobcatsmom
    bobcatsmom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    you go girl!:drinker: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
    I think you found what many 'non-competitive'/do-it-cuz-it's-good-for-me athletes know.....the first step is always the hardest!!:grumble:
    I've found myself in the same place for the last 3 weeks and finally got back into the gym when I wasn't teaching a class....and boy, was it hard to start! but, I walked and jogged (very little, but I only planned to walk:happy: ) for an hour and left feeling quite happy with myself. It felt good to get a little sweaty and to see the miles and calories burned add up!
    Keep at it - and know there are lots of folks out here that support you!!! (and feel your pain:bigsmile:) :drinker: :flowerforyou: :wink: