Watch Heart Rate Monitors

Options
I want to buy a heart rate monitor to track the calories I burn during my workouts. I don't need anything fancy, just basic calories burned. Are the watch heart rate monitors accurate enough? Or are they just a waste of money? I know the chest strap is the most accurate, but I really would prefer to not wear one. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• TheFitnessArtist
    Options
    I've been doing lots of research about it recently and am going to pick up the PolarFit FT40 soon after the holidays!

They're very accurate, but you need to wear the chest strap though: http://exercise.about.com/od/productreviews/fr/polarft40.htm :smile:
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    In similar posts, people have said you need a chest strap for accuracy. Polar FT4 and FT7 seem the post popular.
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I just put a polar on E-bay for sale
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and I love it. The chest strap is not uncomfortable as you might think and it's not obvious that you are wearing it. I like it more than the FT4 simply because it tells me after my workout how much time was fat burning and how much was fitness. Not necessary, but I like knowing.
  • cj0725
    cj0725 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The polar FT40 is what I have and love. I tried another brand but went back to this one again (broke the watch portion of my first one). You won't even notice the chest strap if you think it will be uncomfortable.
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I bought one without the chest strap at first...the calories burned could NOT have been accurate...30 minutes on an elliptical and I only burned 10 calories? No matter what I did, it didn't work. I bought the Polar FT4 and I love it. I never even notice the chest strap. They're really comfortable.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Instead of buying an HRM without a chest strap, why not just visit this link and use the number it gives you as your burn for the day?

http://www.random.org/integers/?num=1&min=10&max=1000&col=1&base=10&format=html&rnd=new
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Most of the newer chest straps are actually quite comfortable (the old style Garmin and Polar straps were thick & fairly rigid) you'll probably find that after a couple of workouts you won't even notice it's there. If you're looking for accuracy there really isn't much of an option.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    HRMs that don't use the chest strap are only suitable for use by people with medical problems that requires having to monitor their heart rate, because they don't actually monitor your heart rate. They give you an estimate based on touching the fingers on your other hand to terminals on them.