Calcium

Options
So I recently started tracking calcium since I figured at 18 I am still growing and and calcium is meant to be important right?

Turns out I am getting hardly any calcium at all, one day I was at 0...

I don't particularly like dairy products and I'm not sure where else to get calcium from, suggestions? Also, how important is calcium for your diet?

Replies

• shev11
    shev11 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    dairy (and other fortified milks) and green vegetables are the best sources I can think of.

Absorption is better from dairy though.
  • shev11
    Options
    Thanks. I guess I'll just have to get over it and drink milk or something. I think another problem comes from food entries on MFP actually, I just tried to log a glass of milk to see how much calcium it would provide me with and there was no number for calcium at all.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Check out http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/nutrient-search

Also, be aware that entries in the MFP database will not always have an accurate value for calcium. For example, I eat a lot of cheese, but most of the cheese I eat doesn't have a calcium value on the package so it shows up as 0%, even though I know that it contains calcium.

ETA: I see you've worked that one out for yourself! :)
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't like dairy products either- I take supplements.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    You're smart to be aware of it and pay attention to your calcium intake at your age. :flowerforyou: You're right-it's very important since what you take in until your around 25 is building your bones for later. Also, be sure and add in weight training to build healthy bones and keep them strong.
  • shev11
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I'm not worrying too much since realising it's not usually logged on MFP, I think I'm getting more calcium than I'm giving myself credit for haha.
  • nearptr
    Options
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I don't eat most dairy because of lactose intolerance... Some days my calcium intake is higher than others, but it's usually low. I always take calcium and vitamin D supplements even if my intake was higher. Trying to get more calcium in my diet is just another battle I'm not ready to deal with, and until it is supplements are the best option.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I recently started taking chewable vitamin C
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Take a calcium supplement pill...but make sure it's calcium carbonate...NOT calcium citrate. My brother-in-law had kidney stones and the doctor told him that calcium carbonate absorbs better into your body.
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Oh wait! I got that wrong lol...it's the other way around...make sure it's Calcium CITRATE and not calcium carbonate.