Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Options
cardigirl
cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
I was wondering if anyone else watched the sneak preview of this "reality" show last night, and what their thoughts on it were. Did you enjoy it? Did you learn anything from it? Were you offended or not?

I realize that it was filmed and cut for drama, but I did find it interesting. I wonder if he'll be able to accomplish what he wants to do? Thoughts?

Replies

• godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i watched. i am excited by the premise of the show, but i hate all the drama. it really would have been better if he picked a place more receptive to his message to get some 'success' under his belt before tackling someplace that doesn't want him there in the first place.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Was it the one where he wanted to change the school lunches? He has so many shows on the go, it's hard to tell which one is his new project. I did watch that, and I found it quite touching. I think he could be successful on a small scale, but you can't convince people to change when they don't want change.
  • francis1425
    francis1425 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I loved it, I was getting so mad at everyone in that town though......if you couldn't have an open mind and be willing to give, just a little bit, then why did you allow him to come there in the first place?! He could be working at another town that is willing to accept the advice and input that he has. He was able to accomplish alot in England, so he has to know something....
  • SarahJoy_79
    SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I watched it....and LOVE that someone is taking on the challenge that he is! It's about time someone gets to the root of the issue of fixing the obesity crisis in the US. I like his up front blunt approach and really hope he can make the difference this country needs.
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I watched it and liked it. By the way - the fact that the many are opposed to him tells me that there are inherenet issues that are causing the problem (I still can't believe they forced him to have 2 bread for his first lunch - so he literally had to add a hamburger bun for them to eat even though he had chicken, brown rice, vegetable crudite and apple) and he needs to challenge their opinion. I thought it was great to watch.
  • s2481
    s2481 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I watched it also and found it interesting. I did feel bad that it seems like he's going to be fighting a battle with the people in that community. I agree that I wish he was somewhere where they welcomed the idea of a healthier lifestyle. Should be interesting to see what happens.
  • cardigirl
    Options
    Well, I am definitely rooting for him, because I agree with what he wants to do. But I could understand how hard it would be for people who have been doing what they thought was a good job (the cafeteria workers) and this new person comes in and says that they have it all wrong.

That one lady, Alice(?) reminded me a lot of my mom and her attitude when anyone tried to tell her smoking was bad for her. LOL...
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/86474-childhood-obesity-join-the-fight

I didn't watch the show but this subject has been discussed on another thread ^. Balance9 has wonderful opinions, facts and experience with childhood obesity. I signed the petition, you should too! :)
  • karen366
    karen366 Posts: 141
    Options
    I watched it and liked it. By the way - the fact that the many are opposed to him tells me that there are inherenet issues that are causing the problem (I still can't believe they forced him to have 2 bread for his first lunch - so he literally had to add a hamburger bun for them to eat even though he had chicken, brown rice, vegetable crudite and apple) and he needs to challenge their opinion. I thought it was great to watch.

I couldn't believe the guidelines forcing him to add a hamburger bun! Not only wasn't it necessary, but it was such a waste of money and food. It was at that point, I found myself wanting to yell at the tv..lol. I make my children's lunches for school, and after seeing the "guidelines" I will continue doing so.
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How did you guys like the family's house he went to and put the weeks worth of food on the table. wow.
  • cardigirl
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/86474-childhood-obesity-join-the-fight

I didn't watch the show but this subject has been discussed on another thread ^. Balance9 has wonderful opinions, facts and experience with childhood obesity. I signed the petition, you should too! :)

Thanks, Kimberly. I'll read that thread as well.

I wanted to see if people thought Jamie's approach was going to work, or not.
  • cardigirl
    Options
    deleted duplicate post. Ooopss!!!
  • cardigirl
    Options
    I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How did you guys like the family's house he went to and put the weeks worth of food on the table. wow.

It was such a sobering thing to see all of that in one spot. I thought he was pretty gentle with them, but also effective, and I LOVED that he got the one son involved in the cooking! That was great!
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    I really enjoyed it - and found myself getting angry at all the people who are just so complacent with the "guidelines" that they get. And all these people who are "ok" with where they are at are all obese. I hope that he can make a change, though as the old saying goes - you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. I will definitely be watching :)
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to watch the series... it's about time someone started looking at the garbage being fed to kids in our schools. I find it really scary that more people don't know what a fresh vegetable is.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I missed it!! :sad: And I'm a huge Jamie Oliver fan....guess I'll have to find it online or see if it gets repeated anytime soon.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I couldn't believe how hard those people were fighting him...I found it pretty sad when he sat on the playground and cried. Anyone can see that his motives are good. They were pretty insulting toward him.
  • cardigirl
    Options
    I couldn't believe how hard those people were fighting him...I found it pretty sad when he sat on the playground and cried. Anyone can see that his motives are good. They were pretty insulting toward him.

That really didn't surprise me too much. The people for the most part were very defensive which is a normal reaction (have seen it time and again on these boards...LOL) so I'm hoping he figures out a way to win them over.

Whenever anyone asks me why I do burpees or push ups or eat differently, I usually tell them because it makes me feel so good! All they see is the hard work or what they think is deprivation, but it's actually the best medicine I've ever taken. And I think if he can prove to them how much better they will feel eating healthy as opposed to eating poorly, he'll win converts. I hope!
  • cardigirl
    Options
    Part two is on tonight at 9pm on ABC...

Part one is being repeated at 8pm. (Eastern time)
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've been looking forward to watching this all week LOL