Calorie Deficit and Getting Sick!

Options
firstsip
firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
So, I know it's that time of year where everyone and their mother is getting sick anyway...

But I've been sick THREE times since October, which is super unusual for me (years of working with kids has made my immune system that of a robot's).

I've read that extended periods of eating at a deficit contributes to lowered immunity, so I'm wondering... does anyone else find they're getting sicker more often?

I'll obviously eat more when I'm sick (if I can force it down/not throw it up), but boy, am I sick of getting sick.

Replies

• determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I went through this during my first round of weight-loss. I was eating about 1,400-1,500 calories per day and I would get sick once every 5 weeks. It was crazy. I found that when I started eating at maintenance calories I didn't get sick as often. It was very strange....
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    When I am sick which isn't often I usually up my water intake and make sure I get lots of rest.
    Sometimes you just need to make sure you get complety rested and don't push to hard for a few days after.When you feel strong again get back at it. Rest is really important.
    I hope you are feeling better soon.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising when you aren't sick? I had one truly heinous cold this year (it went around the office) but have been fine otherwise, despite taking public transportation and being around sick people. I read years ago that since your body temperature is raised a tiny bit during exercise, if you are regularly exercising then your immunity becomes better because the temperature raise kills germs during that time (but it has to be regular exercise). No clue if it's true but I think I get sick less when I exercise.
  • char71165
    char71165 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi firstsip. Are you taking a multi-vitamin or other supplements like vitamin C or B complex? Also do you know if your vitamin D level is low - common this time of year when people stay inside a lot.

This can be a problem when reducing caloric intake because reduction in foods, and some types of foods, may be reducing the amount of vitamins and nutrients you are getting. Also if you are limiting some foods like red meat, this can get in the way of absorbing iron, which for women is very important to not become anemic.

Just some things to consider. I hope you get to feeling better very soon. :-)
  • yasmine1122
    Options
    I found since I have been in school and not around people at work I have getting less sick in the year but I tried to get sick on my birthday which was the 22nd of nov what a bummer. I took some of walmarts equate cold and cough and it cleared me up the next day . I am sure what you are fighting is the weather changing periodically depending on where you are. Try taking some Echinacea & ginsing bottles from GNC.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Maybe just a run of bad luck? I was at a deficit for three months to lose my 15 pounds and have never been healthier. I make sure to be getting all the stuff my body needs, lots of variety and nutrients and water and exercise.
  • firstsip
    Options
    Haha, thanks guys! I guess I intended this thread to be more of a "YEAH THIS SUCKS," but I appreciate all the advice!

I take an iron pill, a B vitamin, AND Vitamin D/Omega 3 regularly, drink plenty of water, and have tried the "exercise even though you're starting to feel sick" thing (which has always backfired for me x_x).

It definitely makes sense you'd get sicker less often eating at maintenance calories, because your body's got much more fuel to fight off things (plus, eating at a prolonged deficit can raise cortisol, which definitely lowers your immune system)!

My deficit, however, has been since January, so... :X
  • MarinaPacheco
    MarinaPacheco Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had this at the beginning of the year, something like six colds in five months - it got so bad I lost count. It may have been due to eating at a deficit - I've also read that your immune system is weaker if eating at a deficit. It wasn't a huge deficit - I was eating around 1500 Cals including exercise Cals - which is fine for me as I'm very short. I couldn't see what to do about it though - I ate at maintenance when I was sick and dropped the Cals again each time I got better, but there was no way I was going to give up on counting my Calories, and working on shifting the weight so I battled on through and have been fine all all summer. I'll see what happens now that the cold and flu season is back again.
  • HopeAtWork
    HopeAtWork Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Could it be that your getting sick because your body is (in effect) detoxifying? Once when I did a liquid detox program, my body detoxed alright - and all that crud being released from my blood and organs gave me a lovely little rash. Finally got me to the dermatologist, who basically told me to be kinder to my body in the future. LOL
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    This could be just a coincidence. Here in WI due to the warmer weather it is like a breeding ground for germs. There is something running rampant through our office. I usually catch a cold but this year ended up with severe sinitus. Took two rounds of heavy duty antibiotics to get rid of it (just finished them on Thanksgiving) and I am still trying to get my exercise level back up.

FYI - If it is above the neck, they recommend you do not exercise. I was forbidden from exercising until I was better.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    you have to take your vitamins it will help you not get sick.

I have been sick a lot lately but I associate it with the ever changing warm to cold temperatures and my Doctor does as well.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I've recently had a bad cold and struggled to stick to a 2lbs a week deficit so I've lessened it to 1.5lbs per week and I feel a lot healthier and less stressed on it. I did wonder whether I was doing the right thing but I have another year of this ahead of me and I lose calories whenever my weight drops and I've got to be able to do it healthily so I think it was the right thing for me.

I also suffer with patches of alopecia and was worried that may have been worsening so this way I can incorporate more fruit and protein to help keep my iron levels up.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    I take an iron pill, a B vitamin, AND Vitamin D/Omega 3 regularly, drink plenty of water, and have tried the "exercise even though you're starting to feel sick" thing (which has always backfired for me x_x).

Forget about the vitamins that have no proof or science they work for your immune system. How are you doing at eating 9-13 servings of raw fruits and vegetables each day?

Over 4000 clinical studies show that eating the daily recommended amount of raw fruits and vegetables will lower the risk of chronic illness (cancer, heart disease, diabetes etc...) and deliver the vitamins and minerals your body needs daily. Medical science reminds us every day that good nutrition and good health go hand in hand.
  • firstsip
    Options

Forget about the vitamins that have no proof or science they work for your immune system. How are you doing at eating 9-13 servings of raw fruits and vegetables each day?

Over 4000 clinical studies show that eating the daily recommended amount of raw fruits and vegetables will lower the risk of chronic illness (cancer, heart disease, diabetes etc...) and deliver the vitamins and minerals your body needs daily. Medical science reminds us every day that good nutrition and good health go hand in hand.

You're right, my endocrinologist ordering me to take a vitamin D pill because I lack a thyroid, and my gynecologist recommending the iron pill that comes with my BC because I bleed out a week every month... I'll stop listening to them!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have only gotten really sick once since I started working out. I get a little sniffly here and there or maybe a 1 day bug but nothing serious. I got bronchitis in September but that's been it. I've been working out an hour or so 6 days a week since last spring. That may be helping. I did work in retail for 14 years before this job (2 years now). I got sick constantly there. Maybe my immune system was built up from that and just now started going down.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options

You're right, my endocrinologist ordering me to take a vitamin D pill because I lack a thyroid, and my gynecologist recommending the iron pill that comes with my BC because I bleed out a week every month... I'll stop listening to them!

Ever thought about questioning that and doing your own research and not just taking the word of your endocrinologist and gynecologist who receive very little education on nutrition in their degree? Ever thought of consuming whole foods that provide those same vitamins, enzymes, and minerals your body needs to balance your immune system? By the way I too do not have a Thyroid.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    How big of a deficit are you eating at... and maybe you're not getting enough of your vitamins you need to support your immune system? Might want to look into some blood work to see if you are lacking in anything. Definietly get some veggies and fruits in your system (especially citrus fruits!) drink some hot green tea and honey too. :)
  • firstsip
    Options

Ever thought about questioning that and doing your own research and not just taking the word of your endocrinologist and gynecologist who receive very little education on nutrition in their degree? Ever thought of consuming whole foods that provide those same vitamins, enzymes, and minerals your body needs to balance your immune system? By the way I too do not have a Thyroid.

Lol you're funny.

Edit: To elaborate, since I don't feel like dealing with you again and am bummed you somehow found a way into this thread...

You are willfully ignoring countless studies to focus on others. You foolishly ask, "Ever thought about doing your own research" of someone who does research for a living. You say, "There's no evidence for vitamins" when there's TONS of verified and valid research for their benefit. I've read the tons of research that says micronutrients are better absorbed through eating actual foods... just like I've read the tons of research saying micronutrients are better absorbed cooked... or raw!

The thing about research is that there is always more and more of it, and science is always working towards a more precise understanding of why things are the way they are.

In the meantime, the studies saying, "Hey, if it's difficult to get a., b., and c. in your diet, taking certain vitamins is better than none at all" hold up, and your comments don't play any relevancy in a thread where, I've taken vitamins all along, but only with a recently low calorie diet have I had issues with immunity.

So, girl bai.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I don't know how what your normally eat, but by the couple days I did see in your food diary it looks like you are not eating fruits and vegetables. Remember to be sure to get your vitamins and minerals every day, fruits and veggies are the best source, plus you can eat tons of veggies because they are low in calories, win/win situation. Good luck!
  • firstsip
    Options
    I don't know how what your normally eat, but by the couple days I did see in your food diary it looks like you are not eating fruits and vegetables. Remember to be sure to get your vitamins and minerals every day, fruits and veggies are the best source, plus you can eat tons of veggies because they are low in calories, win/win situation. Good luck!

...You mean the days that nothing's tracked because I was out of town?

Lol, this thread has gone nowhere fast.