Is it possible to lose fat only?

Options
2»

Replies

• RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I have been very fit for years, but I switched from cardio endurance training to sports training (boxing) within the past year. So I have never trained my arms before. That could put me in the second group then? Because THIS type of training is relatively new?

I'd say it's possible, but I wouldn't expect it to last long or be a significant amount of LBM.

Perfectly fine. I don't want any more LBM. I think I have high testosterone or something because I put on muscle like a dude. I just thought maybe I wasn't eating at a deficit after all.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get stronger in the process, but I realize that I'll have to eat at a surplus to build lots of muscle. That is my next step after I get my BF down about 6% more to about 19%.

While you might not gain any lean mass, you can still gain strength while eating in a deficit. This gets less and less likely as you gain more training experience/strength. So for example, I would expect that somone who is closer to genetic potential probably isn't going to get stronger while cutting, but someone in their first couple of years of training should still make strength gains.

I am a beginner heavy lifter - I have always been active and lifted a little (my weights were colored, yes....), but Stronglifts is new territory for me and I'm loving it!
    This will be a good thread to follow - I'm at about a 400 calorie deficit from TDEE and am doing Stronglifts (not really any cardio). Right now my main focus is to loose body fat. I'd like to get stronger in the process, but I realize that I'll have to eat at a surplus to build lots of muscle. That is my next step after I get my BF down about 6% more to about 19%.

Perfect. You'll easily retain most of your muscle mass that you currently have with that deficit and lifting.

You will get stronger even in a deficit, as for beginners their is the neural connection to the muscle that grows stronger as well as the fact that sometimes the minor anabolic state (when the major state is catabolic) can actually cause muscle gains. Eventually the muscle gains stop due to the minor anabolic state reaching the limit to what it can support. At this time, you're strength training will plateau.

Once you get a lower body fat, go to a surplus. This makes the anabolic state the major state, and thus able to support more muscle growth.

I have a bit to go before I plan on bulking. Per a bod pod test I'm about 24% BF, but with measurements and using the online calculators I'm at 27%. Ideally I'd like to be below 20%.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I have a bit to go before I plan on bulking. Per a bod pod test I'm about 24% BF, but with measurements and using the online calculators I'm at 27%. Ideally I'd like to be below 20%.

A good idea is to take the average or median of multiple tests and use that. From there, it really doesn't matter which way you get your BF% calculated so long as you are very consistent with all the variables you can control (sodium levels and emptying the urinary bladder before electrical impedance for example).

From there, once a week, check. So long as you see the number constantly going down, you're fine. It is very difficult to get a 100% accurate body fat measurement. If one shows you 10% fatter than you are, but shows the same overall loss, then it is just as valid.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options

A good idea is to take the average or median of multiple tests and use that. From there, it really doesn't matter which way you get your BF% calculated so long as you are very consistent with all the variables you can control (sodium levels and emptying the urinary bladder before electrical impedance for example).

From there, once a week, check. So long as you see the number constantly going down, you're fine. It is very difficult to get a 100% accurate body fat measurement. If one shows you 10% fatter than you are, but shows the same overall loss, then it is just as valid.

I just keep plugging my measurements monthly into the same online calculator (http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html) and going from there. I'm recording all 4 percentages so I can track changes. No change so far but its only been a couple weeks. My clothes have been a bit tighter since I started lifting, and I know I can't build muscle that fast so I'm guessing they are sore and retaining lots of fluid! Hoping that will equalize out in a bit once I'm into it a bit more.