"Healthy" Meat?

Options

Replies

• _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Ask a urologist.

Rimshot.gif

I was gonna say sausage but you beat me to it . . . kind of.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Try Hummus on a sandwich it is good
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Oh, And sauces. that's something else I have a hard time with. on sandwiches, everything I ate was dipped in some kind of sauce. BBQ, Ranch, some kind of grilling sauce, always a sauce. I LOVE it! any good low(er) Calorie sauce Ideas, or even subsitutes? Or even just fresh sandwhich Ideas? I eat so many salads and sanwiches I'm kinda getting burned out on the "usual"... any ideas?

I use boneless chicken breast, boil it with Saltgrass 7 seasoning (the more, the spicer), shred it, and mix with light miracle whip. Three ounces of meat on two slices of whole wheat bread = 190 calories. 21 Carbs, 6 fat, 21 protein and so good!

Oh, and three ounces of this is actually quite a bit so you may not put that much on yours.

Three ounces of meat is "quite a bit?" For many meats, three ounces is one serving, the "right" amount. For chicken breast though, 4-6 ounces is one serving.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    The leanest steak would probably be Filet Mignon. I prefer its neighbor a well trimmed Beef Tenderloin.
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Deer
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Also lean meats yum

A good sandwich
    Hummus
    Tomato
    cucumber
    On relay good bread
    salt/pepper
  • poundis
    poundis Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I often use the Light Laughing Cow in place of mayo on my sandwich. One wedge is only 35 cals and very creamy!!!!! I also use mustards- regular yellow, spicy brown as well as Horseradish mustard. They have 5 cals per tsp. I like hot sauce and Sriracha as dipping sauces.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    There is no better red meat then venison.
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Ever watch "Not My Mama's Meals" with Bobby Dean (son of Paula Dean)? I about died the other day - she apparently made this burger on an f'ing krispie creme doughnut and he tried replicating it by putting a grilled portobello mushroom on 9 grain bread.

Nooooottttt exaaaaactly.
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    There is no better red meat then venison.

THIS!!
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I always avoid meat with hormones an antibiotics in them. Grass fed, organic and local is what I choose.
  • cbk93
    cbk93 Posts: 35
    Options
    I eat mostly boneless skinless chicken breast and tilapia. I've discovered I love hummus, which makes a great dip and sauce. One thing to note about "light" products.. they replace the fat with sugar. My body processes fat better than sugar, so I stick with the regular products and eat in moderation.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Ever watch "Not My Mama's Meals" with Bobby Dean (son of Paula Dean)? I about died the other day - she apparently made this burger on an f'ing krispie creme doughnut and he tried replicating it by putting a grilled portobello mushroom on 9 grain bread.

Nooooottttt exaaaaactly.

I've only caught his show a few times and while at the gym. I don't feel so bad watching the cooking channel if it's his show. ;)
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I like salmon and chicken as my lean meat proteins. (I also eat lots of steak and ground beef though). Pork tenderloin is also good.

Mango salsa is delicious with fish or chicken breast. Dice 1 ripe mango, 1 jalapeno pepper, 1/4 red onion, 2 tbsp cilantro and, if you like it, 1/4 avocado. Blend together with the juice of 1 lime and a little salt, pepper and ground cumin.

I made this sauce this weekend for some salmon and it was great, it could be used on pork, as well: mash 2 cloves of garlic with some kosher salt into a paste. Add about 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp creole mustard (you could substitute stone ground mustard) and about 1 tbsp fresh dill. Drizzle in a little olive oil. Mix well. Baste fish with sauce while grilling. Really good.
  • dawneekoz
    dawneekoz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As for sauces, mustard, horseraddish, wasabi and chipolte all have strong, tasty flavors. I would find some sauce recipes that use one of those ingredients.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I believe that what is healthiest is to eat a variety of different types of meats.

This. But with a slight emphasis on white meat and fish.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    The leanest steak would probably be Filet Mignon. I prefer its neighbor a well trimmed Beef Tenderloin.

also consider:
    sirloin, london broil

personally prefer silroin over filet.
  • axelorate
    axelorate Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bison meat is fantastic.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I didn't know meat was unhealthy... unless you batter it up and deep fry it.

But the leaner meats are your games. Try deer meat! It is amazing, and lean.
    Chicken and Turkey is pretty lean too.
    Red meats are advised to eat in moderation... but to be honest, I think any meat should be in moderation.

Oh, and of course seafood, however I hear shrimp is high in cholesterol so watch that. But a delicious baked salmon, or a grilled ahi tuna... mmm.