Whey protein? Yay or Nay?

Options
My sister and I were considering whey protein, but I feel I need to do a little more 'homework' on it. My biggest fear is: what happens when you stop using it? Is it like the same concept of diet pills- once you stop taking it, you gain the weight back? Does it really help in aiding to lose weight or is it more for muscle build? Any information will help! : )

Replies

• RunEatLift
    Options
    lol no. it's just a protein supplement, it's not a diet product or anything. the type of protein powder you use should depend on the time you plan on taking it and the purpose for which you're taking it. what are you wanting to take it for? :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is more of a food than a supplement. It's useful to help you reach your protein goals, but has absolutely no "magical" properties other than that. In that regard, it's no different than eating a chicken breast or a can of tuna (except that it comes in powdered form and you have to mix it with something.

Adequate protein intake helps preserve lean body mass during weight loss. If you're already getting enough protein from other sources, supplementing it with whey protein is unnecessary. If you're not, it could be helpful - but it will otherwise do absolutely, positively nothing for "weight loss", per se.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I used whey protein to meet my protein goals for the day/week.
  • Yolanda4160
    Yolanda4160 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake once a day but simply to increase my protein intake. I work long hours at work, and can't seem to reach my protein goal with meals alone. But I did read that when drinking protein shakes, you really need to drink enough water bc it could damage your kidneys if you don't So I make sure to drink plenty of water all day long.
  • mslynn1007
    Options
    Ok, I do meet my protein requirements daily. The trainer at the gym advised me to take whey protein "to help me lose weight". I just dont like taking stuff like that or meds if I dont need to, you know what I mean.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    nothing really happens if you quit using it. it is good if you don't get your protein in. i usually have about a half a scoop to a scoop a day, especially if i have a really high carb day.
  • crazyola26
    crazyola26 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, do you recommend having protein shakes, etc. to make up for protein I'm not having via chicken, etc?
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, do you recommend having protein shakes, etc. to make up for protein I'm not having via chicken, etc?

If you aren't getting sufficient protein in your diet, you need to figure out a way to get it. Either through suppliments, or other vegetarian sources. I'm sure there are vegetarians here that can help you figure that out