Work Christmas Dinner Menu

Options
helyg
helyg Posts: 675 Member
Have just had the menu to choose what I want to eat at my husband's work Christmas dinner. I plan to eat at maintenance over Christmas anyway as it is very difficult to do otherwise (Christmas with the inlaws, work dinners for both me and husband, kids' parties etc). But what would be the healthiest choice from this menu?

Starters:
Soup with a bread roll
Fan of melon with raspberry coulis
Creamy garlic mushrooms with a bread roll
Prawn Cocktail salad

Mains:
Roast beef with yorkshire pudding
Roast pork with stuffing
Roast turkey breast with stuffing and pigs in blankets
Courgette Nut Roast

Desserts:
Christmas pudding with brandy sauce
Raspberry and apple crumble
Cheesecake
Cheese platter

Coffee, tea and mince pies.

There is nothing on the menu that I don't like, so my decision is going to be based entirely on what is least likely to tip the scale in the wrong direction!

Replies

• runnninginmd
    Options
    For the starter, I would either pick the soup (depending on whether it's broth or cream based) or the prawn cocktail salad.

The main is a little more complicated because roast beef, pork, and turkey aren't bad by themselves. So I would probably just pick my favorite meat and either just enjoy what came with it or leave the stuffing on the plate (depending on what your goals are, personally I think I'd just realize it's only one meal and enjoy myself).

It looks like the cheesecake would have the most calories for the dessert so I'd probably stay away from that one. Maybe go with the crumble so you can at least say you ate some fruit? I might be biased on that one though, because it just sounds really good to me!
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Melon (soup could be creamy and prawns with a creamy sauce)

Turkey (leave the stuffing and pigs in blankets if you're worried, nut roast will be horrendous calorie wise)

All the desserts will be 'bad' so I say go for which you'll enjoy the most, eat light the rest of the day and go for a walk/to the gym.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Purely as an exercise in calorie counting I'd say melon, turkey without the PIBs, then raspberry crumble.

If I was eating it myself I'd go with mushrooms, beef, cheesecake :drinker:
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    The pudding that I am most drawn too is actually the cheese platter, but that is going to be a calorific nightmare isn't it? I do miss nice cheese though. Maybe if I have melon to start and then turkey (leaving the skin and trimmings behind and choosing boiled veg rather than roasted) I could treat myself to the cheese. At least I'd be getting plenty of protein! And I wouldn't have to eat it all if there was loads.

I know it is only one day, but I have my work party the following week and then Christmas at my inlaws the week after so there are lots of meals where I don't have much control over what is served.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm no help, it all looks yummy!!
  • mominwi419
    Options
    I would go with the melon, but only use a little of the raspberry coulis.

For the main dish, I would go with the roast pork with stuffing.

There is protein and some fat in the cheese, which is going to help keep you fuller longer.
  • willowfae
    willowfae Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If it was me I'd have the soup, turkey but skip the stuffinig, and no dessert.