The Virgin Diet

Options
Hey, everybody! I am on day two of the Virgin Diet, which is an elimination diet -- for 21 days, you eliminate what she (JJ Virign) calls the top 7 foods that people tend to be reactive to -- intolerant, not allergic -- which are: gluten, soy, dairy, eggs, corn, peanuts, sugar (including artificial sweetners except xylitol and raw stevia).

Anybody else done this? What have been your results? I'm pretty certain I'm intolerant of dairy and gluten, but I'm not sure about the rest of it.:smile:

Replies

• MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I've been (mostly) gluten free for 2 weeks now and eventhough I don't have celiac's thankfully, I feel so much better. I'd say go for it!
  • SofaKingRad_
    Options
    OH BOY I THOUGHT A VIRGIN DIET WAS NO MEAT LOLZ GET IT? NO MEAT? LOLZLOLOLOLZ
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Are you interested in doing this because you want to find out if you're "intolerant" to these things? Or as a weight loss gimmick? It sounds too restrictive to realistically maintain for weight loss, and if you're doing it as an elimination trial for your diet, I think you'd have to do it for much longer than 21 days (I'm not a human nurse, but an animal one, so that's my experience anyway).
  • runnninginmd
    Options
    That sounds horrible, everything I enjoy eating is eliminated.

Assuming you eliminate everything at once, and assuming you start to feel better, how do you know which one bothered you in the first place?
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options

haha!!!!
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

no

i dont get it.
  • LKG31
    LKG31 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think to find out what you are intolerant to, you would have to cut things out individually, one at a time? Otherwise you won't know how each one effects your body. Agree with the poster above in that cutting out ALL those things just seems extreme and I would personally be miserable. Everything in moderation is OK, IF there isn't an intolerance to it.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've done elimination diets, back when I was trying to figure out what was causing all my digestive troubles. I only eliminated ONE possible trigger at a time, and maintained each for two weeks. Luckily I nailed it on my second round of elimination -- dairy was making me sick.

Taking everything out at once doesn't make sense if you're doing this for a diagnostic purpose, although I suppose you could start adding things back in one at a time after the 21 days and see which item triggers a response.

If you're doing this just to lose weight.... well, I wouldn't. Too restrictive. It's much better to lose weight eating the type of diet you can imagine yourself happily eating for the rest of your life.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I went off the Virgin Diet when I was 22
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I find it ironic that xylitol is allowed. Many people react adversely to it. But not very surprising, as I would assume anything called "The Virgin Diet" would be yet another suckers' diet.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I had a steady diet of virgins a while back, but have opted for more experienced women since \m/
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    Options

tumblr_me5t37p0Gl1qk3mlbo1_500.jpg
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Well, thanks for the laugh anyway! This basically eliminates these foods completely for 21 days, then you bring back in each one at a time to see if and what you have a problem with. It's not really restrictive, just a lot of veggies, fruits and meats, along with brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes for starchy veggies. It's not that bad unless you are used to a lot of dairy and gluten. I have had a hard time losing weight in spite of going vegan, low carb, etc., in the past few years, so this is the only thing left that makes sense.

If anybody has done this, please let me know! :drinker:
  • RCtransformed
    Options
    Hi. I'm on day two as well. I'm already feeling a bit better & I'm going to do the whole 21 days. It certainly is better that what i'm doing now, which is a lot of soy milk & products, diet drinks & fake surgar, etc. I'm excited to see how this goes. How is it going for you?

s
  • Vamplita
    Options
    I'm eager to see how y'all do on this diet. Hubby and I are going to start the Virgin Diet after the start of 2013. Best of luck!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Hm. So basically just meat and veggies?

...kinda dull, to be honest. Sucks to have no eggs and dairy. Though I guess you can still have some fun with steak, sweet potatoes with butte-
    -oh, no, that's dairy. How irritating. Coconut oil and cinnamon?... Sounds... Kinda gross, but worth a try, I guess.

Not for me, that's for sure.

/lured here by title
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 20 of the Whole30 which is more or less the same thing.. I know I have problems with dairy and gluten but they are both tasty and my diet is quite heavily reliant on them so I still eat them and just live with the consequences. I took on the challenge as a way to learn to not rely on these things as diet staples (I find the word "challenge" seriously increases my will power) and for that it has worked brilliantly; It's forced me to change my diet and get creative and I now have a whole bunch of tasty dairy and gluten free meals that I would happily eat for the rest of my life. The sugar free portion has shown me that I can live without junk food but I will more than likely go back to eating it in moderation as I don't feel any real benefits to excluding it from my diet.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Huh? But you are a mother! Unless...
  • mtinta2000
    Options
    I started the Virgin Diet today. I was going to do it to start the year 2013 like you are, but I might be going to Rome at the end of january and I definitely don't want to go into a diet in Rome. It might interfere with introducing back the foods, but if I can do if I have any interrruptions, I think I will try it again. I think the experience gained with using alternate healthy foods to substitute my unhealthy habits is something I will use for a lifetime. I am not one to take things into consideration just because I read. I have been reading a lot on nutrition and I am a healthy person - 55 yrs old and no illnesses - but I do have the bloating, some digestive problems and the hard to lose weight. I suspect dairy and gluten, mainly dairy. I have been reading a lot on nutrition so what I will do is incorporate what I learn into my lifestyle with other things that make sense. I am yet to finish the book. One thing I don't like is all the supplements, but I will check on that to see if it is really necessary or only a selling technique. Stay in touch!:smile: