Exercise Question

Options
I have been doing about 30-45 minutes of walking in place in my apartment...I haven't seen any difference...My Boyfriend told me not to give up and to just keep doing what I am doing...I guess I am not patient and want to see results right away...But is walking in place a good exercise to do? I don't have time to go to a Gym I also been doing sit ups and Squats...Thanks!!!

Replies

• ckauszler
    ckauszler Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Best exercise to do in place is Jumping Jacks. It's cardio and produces weightloss.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Keep doing it. Also look at hill climbers, burpees, lunges. Plenty of good body weight exercises out there that can be done in the comfort of your own home.
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Thanks the thing about that is I live upstairs lol so Jumping up and down might cause problems haha
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    I walk up the hills at work when it is warm I also can go up and down my stairs
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Stairs! Perfect! Hug your boyfriend for being supportive! :happy:
  • jimmydamato
    jimmydamato Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    All about making smart choices with your diet...results will follow.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Heart rate monitor? do whatever movements you need in order to get your heart rate up into the fat burn zone.

Sometimes I put tape down on my floor and jump back and forth over it with my feet together (Like jumping rope)

There are a ton of body weight cardio things you can do.
  • anjoneill
    anjoneill Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    if you have a computer and internet connection then go to FitnessBlender.com. They have loads of great workouts that you can do in your own home. There is no music in the background but you can play your own or simply enjoy the peace and quiet.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone makes a living out walking in place.... find some music with a nice upbeat tempo and walk away the pounds!
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    No Heart Monitor
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I walk up the hills at work when it is warm I also can go up and down my stairs
    Stairs are good! Walk, jog, and jump up them. Start out jumping up each stair, then jump two all the way up, then 3, as many as you can do. Works your muscles and gets your heart rate up. Keep up the good work!
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    I usually play my Internet Radio Music and pretty up tempo music comes on and I do my walking in place for about 30 minutes every day...I have been under my calories too maybe I just need to wait and see lol
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    youtube.com/blogilates has a lot of workouts to do at home.. she even has some apartment friendly ones. also check out tone it up on youtube!
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Thank you for all the websites!! I will definitely check them out :)
  • Bernadettetoo
    Options
    I run and if I can't get outside, I run through my house for 5 miles. I have a Nike+sports band that helps me. Keep it up!
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Look up "Newbody" it's a walk based workout that also helps trick the mind. It's neat! Too slow paced for me but if you're looking into a walking workout.

Here is more info: http://blog.goodlifefitness.com/2012/02/newbody-kick-post/
  • Lovelyhal
    Lovelyhal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I walk on a treadmill 6 days a week for 40 mins at home. I have lost 31 lbs so far over a 6 month period. The secret is to vary the pace. I walk at 3.5 mph on the flat for 5 mins, increase the incline to level 2 for 5 mins, to level 3 for 5 mins, level 4 for 5 mins, level 5 for 5 mins, level 6 for 6 mins, go back to the flat and walk for 10 mins on the flat. I then do 5 mins of stretching exercise. I am 66 years of age and have rheumatoid arthritis. Keeep doing your exercise, it will pay off in the end. You are not after instant results, but establishing a health lifestyle and routine. The rest will take care of itself. Keep up the good work.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I too do a walk in place routine. I can't jump either. There are lots of ways to get your heart rate up while walking. Varying speeds. Swing your arms fast. Differing motions. All the things aerobics classes do without the jumping.
    I walk on my heels, toes, inside of feet, outside of feet. Differing steps. Lots of variation. Dance moves. Whatever.
    Just walking in place is extremely boring, and it's sort of hard to keep up a decent pace.
    I use a yoga mat and workout with exercise bands after. You can work almost every muscle with those.
    Google 'walking videos'. You'll get lots of info, or get a book from the library to learn form and technique .
    I get down on the floor to do abs, stretching and some yoga (type) poses to cool down after.
    The more often you do it. The more you'll find different ways to make it work for you.
    And probably the longer your sessions will become.
    I 'walk' while I watch TV. But it is soooo much more than walking.
    MY heart rate really gets up there. I sweat!
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice...I will keep pushing myself :D and I am glad to have a boyfriend who cares for me and pushes me too