If I am going over my calories every day

Options
Should I just change my goal? It is discouraging. I am being aware of what I am putting in my face, but this thing has me on 1350 cals a day and I feel like I run out every day after lunch. I know, I know, I could only eat salad, but life doesn't always work out like that. My workouts give me back some room, but I guess I would rather have a goal and have my workouts not count toward eating goals. Help?

Replies

• otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You should be taking the 1350 calories and adding back in the calories that you "earn" from exercise. If you want to be conservative, just add back in approximately 50-75% of them (many people feel that MFP is a bit generous in calculating calories burned). If that adds up to, say, 1500 calories, that's what you should be eating every day if you want to reach your goal. If your goal is set to lose 2 lbs. per week, your calorie allottment will be lower than if you set it to lose 1/2 or 1 lb. per week. It all depends on what you want. IMO, regardless of your goal, you should not be running out of calories after lunch if you are eating healthy.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary we can offer some suggestions on how to reduce calories without eating just salad. :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Yes, open your diary. There are many ways to choose nutritious and satisfying food on 1350 calories. Actually, I hardly ever eat salad because I find it boring and too much trouble to make unless I put all sorts of things in it that I am unwilling to cut up.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary we can offer some suggestions on how to reduce calories without eating just salad. :)

I agree, you should open up your diary. 1350 is low, but there are lots of ways to manage it without just eating a salad.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    You might want to read Helloitsdan's post in this thread (first post), do the calculations and see what your goal comes out to be doing it that way:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I use MFP numbers as a starting point, but I also convert to WW points....I get a few more points that way, and I don't have to worry about the MFP numbers being red...rather it gives me an acceptable amount of lee-way.
  • amwoodruff
    amwoodruff Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this, I love this post.
  • amwoodruff
    Options
    No thank you! I already feel enough shame and self-loathing over my eating habits.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to lose 1 lb/week instead of 2. You'll be way more likely to achieve your goal. Creating a 1000+ calorie deficit every day isn't everyone's thing. I would get way hangry if I tried doing that.

I was pleasantly surprised when I joined MFP and set my goal to lose 1/2 lb per week and I lost 8.5 lbs in 5 weeks... and that didn't include a big week 1 loss either. Go on... eat more. You might be surprised.

a) you'll be more satisfied
    b) you won't feel as deprived, which often prevents binge eating in those of us who lean that way
    c) you'll barely notice you're "dieting"
    d) you'll feel successful at the end of each day when you actually close out your diary
    e) you'll lose weight over time
    f) 6 months from now when you're down maybe 20 lbs you're going to feel like a rock star

Do it... set a realistic goal.
  • LoraleiDean
    Options
    I'm on 1283 cals/day and thought I would never be able to manage it.
    I've now learned (read "get off my lazy butt") to spend a little time to make most of my food from scratch and not use pre-packaged seasonings and sauces. My meals are much plainer than they used to be, and at least half of my (much smaller) plate is vegetables.
    I do exercise occasionally (still lazy) and eat back all of the calories - for treats - as my weight loss of a pound per week has already been calculated into my settings.
    I'm sure you will be able to figure out what works for you, just keep with fiddling with it!
  • amwoodruff
    Options
    Set your goal to lose 1 lb/week instead of 2. You'll be way more likely to achieve your goal. Creating a 1000+ calorie deficit every day isn't everyone's thing. I would get way hangry if I tried doing that.

I was pleasantly surprised when I joined MFP and set my goal to lose 1/2 lb per week and I lost 8.5 lbs in 5 weeks... and that didn't include a big week 1 loss either. Go on... eat more. You might be surprised.

a) you'll be more satisfied
    b) you won't feel as deprived, which often prevents binge eating in those of us who lean that way
    c) you'll barely notice you're "dieting"
    d) you'll feel successful at the end of each day when you actually close out your diary
    e) you'll lose weight over time
    f) 6 months from now when you're down maybe 20 lbs you're going to feel like a rock star

Do it... set a realistic goal.
    Thank you. I agree. I am totally an example of "B" on your list.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Are you NETTING just over 1350 or eating just over 1350? Those are two different things, NETTING over is bad, eating over isnt.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You might lose weight on 1350 calories/day, but what's the point of getting smaller if you're smaller and miserable? I started out eating about that, but now I eat about 1700 on days I don't exercise, and it's the difference between me being happy and energetic and me being a grumpy mess.

Just know that when you change around your calories you might see a slight gain as your body readjusts (that will likely disappear within a couple weeks).

I don't know, I think there's no point to diet and exercise if it doesn't make you happy

Good luck!
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You might lose weight on 1350 calories/day, but what's the point of getting smaller if you're smaller and miserable? I started out eating about that, but now I eat about 1700 on days I don't exercise, and it's the difference between me being happy and energetic and me being a grumpy mess.

Just know that when you change around your calories you might see a slight gain as your body readjusts (that will likely disappear within a couple weeks).

I don't know, I think there's no point to diet and exercise if it doesn't make you happy

Good luck!

Isn't that the truth! I feel like we all get so caught up sometimes in the end goal, thinking we'll be happy then, but we should be making ourselves happy everyday!
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It's hard to help when we can't see your diary.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    So the OP wants advice about her food, but won't tell us what she's eating? Hard to help in that case.