Can anyone recommend a yoga program?

Options
I would like to start doing yoga with my 7-year-old daughter. Mostly, it is to help her achieve a sense of balance and awareness of her own body. I would like to find an actual DVD "program" for us. For example, I am doing Insanity, which spells it out over 60 days. Maybe there isn't something like that for yoga, but I definitely want something more than just a single video to do over, and over, and over, and over..... (if you understand what I mean).

She does a bit of karate, but isn't tremendously physical. Can anyone point me towards a starting point?

Replies

• Forceky
    Options
    Don't know about DVDs, but check out Tara Stiles on YouTube. She's fun and accessible while still giving you all the information you need, and she has great healthy eating tips. :)
  • luvsyoga
    luvsyoga Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Rodney Yee has a dvd program. I hear they are popular.
  • patinaragazza
    patinaragazza Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Bikram yoga (very hot for 90 mins) and my son started with me when he was a teenager. For you and your young daughter perhaps the The Barkan Method DVD would be good. As far as doing a single video over and over...well I really believe that is the appropriate way to do yoga--over and over again to create muscle memory, peace and discipline until you can move on to something more advanced. Plus, you also get to see the improvement in your yoga practice. It is not like an aerobics class--it is a practice for your mind and body. Maybe Pilates/yoga mix would be good for you and your daughter if you don't want to do the same things over and over. Good luck I love yoga--and while it may sound boring to do it over and over--you feel really proud when you can start accomplishing more poses fully.
  • beefolks
    beefolks Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    <bump>

I appreciate the comments. Just cruising the yoga DVD's in Amazon, I see that there is so much more out there. Fishing for more comments and recommendations.
  • beefolks
    Options
    <bump>
  • beefolks
    Options
    Last time bumping, hoping to get more recommendations.
    <bump>
  • sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Take a look at amazon.com's Rodney Yee Yoga Journal Family DVD. His DVDs are excellent for all levels. It would be difficult to hold a seven year old's attention with yoga so I suggest getting a DVD geared towards children. Good luck!