Protein Problems

Options
Hi everyone! So I was talking to my friend who is on a specific but extreme kind of clean diet regimen (ex. she doesn't eat carrots because apparently there is too much sugar). However, she explained to me that I should be eating no more than 2 to 3 oz of meat per mini meal (I eat 5 meals per day). When I said that I was going to eat half a breast for supper (6 oz) in addition to other things, she said that I really needed to watch how much protein I consumed. She said that a person gets way more calories from protein... So, she said, my 6 oz Costco chicken breast claimed to be 90 calories as per the label: however, she said, a person obtains 9 calories per additional gram of protein. So, since the breast had about 20g of protein, the actual calorie count of the chicken breast is 90 + 20(9) = 270 regardless of what the label says. I was wondering if this is true, and, if so, how this is possible. I have quite a belly I need to lose and really enjoy eating chicken, steak, salmon and tuna! (I also heard that if I weigh 155 lbs, then I should shoot for 155g of protein per day... i.e. 1 g of protein for 1 lb of body weight, but she said that is only for body builders.) HELP!

Replies

• RobynDCrossman
    Options
    Is your friend a medical doctor or licensed nutritionist?
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Your friend is horridly misinformed.

ETA: Making yourself a bodybuilder is a VERY good thing.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options

Agreed!
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I think the protein recommended by most is .8g to 1.2g per pound of lean body mass.
    As far as the rest of it...yeah..google is your friend.
  • xafricanqueen07x
    xafricanqueen07x Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you friend may be misinformed.
    I know people that eat lots of protein a day and as long as you are working and keeping everything in moderation you should be fine. Also I think in America...labels are bound by law to report accurate calorie count.

I really think that maybe it works for you friends since she wants to be really clean and lean, but if you are watching you calorie, protein, and carb intake and also incorporating daily work outs...YOU SHOULD BE FINE! :).

Stick with what you are doing...and if you feel like you aren't losing much weight or GOD FORBID GAINING...then re-evaluate!
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Sorry. Sounds like a load of crap to me.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I think your friend is not the brightest bulb on the tree. Protein is good for you for a number of reasons.
  • Zeyhn
    Zeyhn Posts: 4
    Options
    "regardless of what the label says"

There is no "hidden" calories that are not declared on the label. Your friend is misinformed. Protein on the other hand is a must for anyone trying to build muscle in any way (sprinter, bicycling, triathlon training, weightlifting.. anything really)
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Most people do consume way too much protein, especially animal protein. It is not a popular OPINION here, but your friend is right.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options

This.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Carrots aren't allowed in clean eating? Since when?

Yeah, I'm going to agree with the other posts, I think she is misinformed...
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't know what crazy math your friend is doing. In fact, I'm pretty sure she's confused her fat and protein. You get 4 calories per gram of protein or carbs. And you get 9 calories per gram of fat.
  • RunEatLift
    Options
    oh ffs thats bull****. carbs and protein have exactly that same amount of calories per gram - 4.
    in fact the body actually uses more calories breaking down protein that any other food source.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Yeah...She is way off with that. For starters, protein provides 4 cals per gram, not 9. That's just for starters. What are her credentials?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    ok, let's look at your post...
    So I was talking to my friend who is on a specific but extreme kind of clean diet regimen (ex. she doesn't eat carrots because apparently there is too much sugar).
    That should be your first clue that everything your friend "knows" is probably wrong.

However, she explained to me that I should be eating no more than 2 to 3 oz of meat per mini meal (I eat 5 meals per day).
    That makes no sense at all. You'd have to eat 10-20 "mini meals" per day to get any kind of reasonable protein intake.

When I said that I was going to eat half a breast for supper (6 oz) in addition to other things, she said that I really needed to watch how much protein I consumed. She said that a person gets way more calories from protein...
    No, that's wrong.

So, she said, my 6 oz Costco chicken breast claimed to be 90 calories as per the label: however, she said, a person obtains 9 calories per additional gram of protein.
    No, you get 9 gals per gram with fat. Protein is 4 cals per gram.
    So, since the breast had about 20g of protein, the actual calorie count of the chicken breast is 90 + 20(9) = 270 regardless of what the label says.
    While labels can be misleading sometimes, this isn't one of them. Cals = (fat grams * 9) + (carb grams * 4) + (protein grams * 4)

I was wondering if this is true, and, if so, how this is possible. I have quite a belly I need to lose and really enjoy eating chicken, steak, salmon and tuna! (I also heard that if I weigh 155 lbs, then I should shoot for 155g of protein per day... i.e. 1 g of protein for 1 lb of body weight, but she said that is only for body builders.) HELP!
    1g of protein per lb of body weight is probably on the high side, but there's nothing wrong with it. Most people shoot for 1g of protein per lb of lean body weight.
  • rabbidyak
    Options
    All of the numbers that you are using seem a bit squirrely. I don't see how a 6ounce chicken breast can be listed as 90 calories. I've been doing some looking and although there is no consensus the amounts are generally between 300-450 calories. Other than that, there aren't any hidden calories. Generally on every label it tells you what percentage of the calories are from fat/carbs/protein.
  • beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    ok, let's look at your post...
    So I was talking to my friend who is on a specific but extreme kind of clean diet regimen (ex. she doesn't eat carrots because apparently there is too much sugar).
    That should be your first clue that everything your friend "knows" is probably wrong.

However, she explained to me that I should be eating no more than 2 to 3 oz of meat per mini meal (I eat 5 meals per day).
    That makes no sense at all. You'd have to eat 10-20 "mini meals" per day to get any kind of reasonable protein intake.

When I said that I was going to eat half a breast for supper (6 oz) in addition to other things, she said that I really needed to watch how much protein I consumed. She said that a person gets way more calories from protein...
    No, that's wrong.

So, she said, my 6 oz Costco chicken breast claimed to be 90 calories as per the label: however, she said, a person obtains 9 calories per additional gram of protein.
    No, you get 9 gals per gram with fat. Protein is 4 cals per gram.
    So, since the breast had about 20g of protein, the actual calorie count of the chicken breast is 90 + 20(9) = 270 regardless of what the label says.
    While labels can be misleading sometimes, this isn't one of them. Cals = (fat grams * 9) + (carb grams * 4) + (protein grams * 4)

I was wondering if this is true, and, if so, how this is possible. I have quite a belly I need to lose and really enjoy eating chicken, steak, salmon and tuna! (I also heard that if I weigh 155 lbs, then I should shoot for 155g of protein per day... i.e. 1 g of protein for 1 lb of body weight, but she said that is only for body builders.) HELP!
    1g of protein per lb of body weight is probably on the high side, but there's nothing wrong with it. Most people shoot for 1g of protein per lb of lean body weight.

This is a great post!! I agree.
  • Monicamarkt
    Monicamarkt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    A gram of protein=4 calories
    a gram of carbs=4 calories
    a gram of fat=9 calories
    a gram of alcohol= 7 calories
  • SaraSweetheart
    SaraSweetheart Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much! This was extremely helpful! I am going to eat some chicken right now! And indeed, that amount does make far more sense for fat. Thank you so much for clearing this up for me!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Most people do consume way too much protein, especially animal protein. It is not a popular OPINION here, but your friend is right.

All of what her friend said is correct?