300+ Exercise

Options
I have been using MFP for a while now and have managed to loss a few and gain them right back. I am back on my journey and would like to know what tpye of exercise works best at getting the weight off? Especially for my 300+ peeps. I have been walking for about 30-40 minutes on my lunch break and I can feel a little progress. Just want to know all of my options.

Replies

• pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    walking and more walking stairs in the park
    and congrats at moving best thing you can do for you
    :flowerforyou:
  • FreeTay
    Options
    Thanks and I'll definetly keep moving.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Walking, walking, walking.
  • milleyea
    milleyea Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I walked 3 miles a day 3 days a week and only lost 6 pounds in 6 months. I gained them back and then some! I started strength training and lost the weight on my ticker (currently 44 pounds).

Edited to say I started at 331 pounds in July and I'm down to 286.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Want metabolism increased all the time, and more when walking?

Lift heavy things and put them back down until difficult to do with proper form.

Biggest muscles will give the biggest effect for the time/work done.

This will increase your Lean Body Mass, if you are eating enough possibly even your muscle, and more LBM equals higher metabolism, which is compounded even more when you do exercise.

Since LBM goes up, you may see little scale movement, as the inches drop initially.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Tae Bo and videos on collagevideo.com.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I started with walking in my lunch hour, then added in some exercise bike at home, tried a couple of exercise dvd's, now I just mix it all up, sticking with the walk in my lunch hour Monday to Friday - even in the rainy Scottish weather!! Add me as a friend if you like, I'm on every day :smile:
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I was at 360 lbs when I started trying to lose weight. I started by walking, doing a weekly jazz dance class (only because I knew the instructor... I can't imagine I would have had the confidence otherwise!), and I bought a secondhand Wii on Ebay which I used for loads of fitness games. :)
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    leslie sansone DVd's are great!! You can do this, just stay focused and remember this a journey not a race!! Oh, and drink your water!
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Truly... walking. More and more...
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Aqua aerobics are a great place for plus size to start- especially not new to exercise. Aqua Zumba is the bomb- great workout and sooo fun!
    Or a Zumba Gold class- (or DVDs- they just released the Gold DVDs on the main website)- Gold is for beginners, overweight, injured, or older, basicially anyone who can't do a regular class, its a great place to start.

Walking is good, but always branch out to try new things. And adding in some weight training, even just a little to start will accelarate your loss (as long as you are keeping on your food)

Congrats and feel free to add me as a friend, I started out at 340 so I know how hard it is to get going! You can do this!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I started out at 335 lbs. Initially I was just doing it through diet alone. I did not start incorporating any real exercise into my routine until I hit approximately 265 lbs. I was paranoid about somehow screwing up my knees. In any case, any exercise you do should be limited to things that are low impact. Running, plyometrics, jumping rope, anything like that will all shorten the life of your knees at your weight because there is simply no way of modifying these exercises enough to take sufficient pressure of the knees. And no good form is sufficient either. I recommend swimming/water aerobics, weightlifting, walking, elliptical, and cycling.
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    To keep the weight off u need more than exercise u need 100% clean eating
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    To keep the weight off u need more than exercise u need 100% clean eating

Totally false, not to mention useless info because everyone understands "Clean eating" differently. To keep the weight off you need to continue eating at a maintenance level (energy intake balanced with what you burn off) for the rest of your life.
  • FreeTay
    Options
    @ Milleyea, Great job!! I'll have to wait before I can do strenght training though. Don't thing I'm strong enough for it. Did you change your diet?
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    If you have access to an eliptical, I LOVE them. I can go more intense on it than walking since it's low impact.

Also, I've done strength training on and off at any weight. You can really just start with however much weight you can handle.
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Weight Loss takes Exercise and Food modifications! Don't look at it is as diet, look at it as a life style change! :)
  • FreeTay
    Options
    If you have access to an eliptical, I LOVE them. I can go more intense on it than walking since it's low impact.

Also, I've done strength training on and off at any weight. You can really just start with however much weight you can handle.

I own an elliptical but it wears me out in five minutes. At one time I was able to stay on it for 45 minutes. I'm trying to work my way to 30 minutes.
  • Tracy2750
    Options
    Hi! I started at over 350 and couldn't make it up half a flight of stairs without pausing and panting. Everything was a chore. I didn't have the strength to do much an I sstarted to feel like I would die every time I got sick - which wasn't infrequent. I also worked full time, had a family, and little free time. You know what I did? I just started to move more. I realized I had become a master of efficiency - minimizing movement and trips up the stairs, lots of sitting - even when I folded laundry. Oh... and laundry? I very often asked my son or husband to run a load down or to bring up the stuff in the dryer. So... I just started with sitting less. I carried my own laundry up and down, I vacuumed and scrubbed the bathroom with bigger arm strokes. I know this may sound like bunk to those of you who are much fitter but it helped me tremendously. The weight started to come off and my activity tolerance grew. I do much more now and can tolerate it easily. Feel free to add me if you like :)