Any Morbid Obese Low Carbers Dieters??

Options
Hello..I had started this week on my own low carb dieting and doing very good with it.. I am seeking some friends who have over 100 Lbs to loose and on here tracking daily... I started on Sunday and so far am down 26 Lbs and am loving my journey so far.. My start weight 440 Current 414

I will be 46 yrs old in Janaury,....in NJ....Single and am determined on my ongoing efforts...

Have a nice day..

Liliann :flowerforyou:

Replies

• gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    wait. you've lost 26lbs since SUNDAY?
  • spencer7593
    Options
    This can't be right. A change in weight of 26 pounds in 4 days? That's just crazy! That's one whopper of a bowel movement.

It sounds to me like your scale is inaccurate. Rather than using weight as a measure, a better measure is inches (waist, hips, butt, chest, arms, etc.)

---

EDIT: I misread your post. You didn't say you've lost 26 pounds in four days, you're down a total of 26 pounds. What's "started" is the "low carb" thing.

What I aim for is whole foods, with ZERO high fructose corn syrup, ZERO hydrogenated fats, ZERO added sugar, ZERO white flour, ZERO white pasta. That's why my body doesn't tolerate well.

---

Drink plenty of water everyday, 64 fl.oz. at minimum.

I need to work WITH my body's hormones, not against them. When it comes to willpower vs. hormones, I know my hormones are going win out over willpower. (When I'm hungry, I am hungry and I am going to eat, willpower be damned!) So I keep a lid on the ghrelin and boost leptin by eating plenty of healthy whole foods and by avoiding processed foods.

A "low carb" diet can be healthy, as long as you eat plenty of fiber, antioxidants, and phytonutrients... broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, red green and yellow bell peppers, onions, dark green lettuce, etc. with enough healthy fats, olive oil, walnuts, etc.
  • waterlily
    waterlily Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been eating clean and drinking 3 liters of water...I eat proteins and veggies..

No fruits, breads/rolls/junk foods...

I have good reilable scale, an old doctors scale with sliding block..Its accurate..its on a non carpet floor.. I am light active and am happy with my results!!

Take Care..

Liliann
  • chefsmash
    chefsmash Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's totally possible to lose that amount if you've been eating a lot of carb-y stuff and then go to low carb... not only do you lose water in general, you also lose the glycogen that's been stored in your muscles (which also has water attached). And yeah, the BM contributes too.

I'm doing keto right now; feel free to add me. Got about 140-ish lbs to lose.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I have an outline of the Chris Powell Carb Cycling plan if you're interested. :flowerforyou:
  • WaltSeher
    Options
    Add me! add me! I'm at 414 myself right now!! We can count them down together!!!
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Considering the diet the OP is on, it's 100% possible to lose that amount of weight in a very short amount of time. It's amazing how much your body changes once you take away certain things from your diet.

My girlfriend and I began Whole30 (or paleo, basically what OP is doing, but included limited amounts of fruit) at the beginning of October. After only five days I had lost 5 lbs and nearly an inch off my waist, while my girlfriend (who is bigger than I am) had seen a loss of 12 lbs and more than an inch around her waist.

If you're heavier, you're going to see a dramatic change after only the first week.

Whole30 is a 30 day program, kind of a precursor to the paleo lifestyle. It's not for everyone, though, and to some it sounds crazy. For more info, check out http://www.whole9life.com.

Good luck on your journey, waterlily!
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I tend to low carb. My goal for carbs is 37 but I'm not beating myself up if I go up to 60 in a day. Most of the time it's vegetables that bring it up that high. Add me if you'd like.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    congrats on the weight loss and deciding to change things!!
    might i suggest taking pics n measurements regularly.. they will help in those non losing times when motivation is low and wanting to give up is at it's best ..n there will be those times guaranteed!!.
    Keep focused and true to your plan .. the scales will keep going down ;)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Considering the diet the OP is on, it's 100% possible to lose that amount of weight in a very short amount of time. It's amazing how much your body changes once you take away certain things from your diet.

Yep. I started at almost 500 lbs and dropped 30 lbs in my first 8 days. I went cold turkey on soda pop. The more you have to lose, the faster it drops. However, it's not always the case. For me it slowed down since. I average 2-4 a month now. I'm in no rush either.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets don't help reduce fat, It's mostly water and glycogen you lost. If you're happy with that type of plan then stick to it, just letting you know it doesn't increase the speed of fat loss and doesn't offer additional benefits.
    Also, performance is hindered both mentally and physically.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    Sure add me, i'm no longer "morbid" and yes you burn fat, you are more alert. You just have to hold on and get adapted.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Sure add me, i'm no longer "morbid" and yes you burn fat, you are more alert. You just have to hold on and get adapted.
    You are burning fat due to the reduction of calories not because of the lack of carbs.
  • herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    LOL...all of these low carb bashers crack me up. You need to do what is right for YOUR body. When I started, I weighed 375. I do low carb. But for ME, it's a lifestyle not just a 'diet'. Do some research on sugar and what it can do. For me, it helped to reduce my migraines, helped my BP on top of a number of things. I don't advocate low carb. i DO advocate finding what works for YOU. not every diet works for everyone. Our bodies are ALL DIFFERENT. Low carb might work for you and it might not. For me, it does. When I eat a lot of carbs, I get headaches, I'm sluggish and just feel gross. But again, that's ME.

The biggest tip I can give is, whatever lifestyle you chose...you MUST COMMIT. It's NOT going to happen overnight. You WILL have ups and downs. You have to 100% commit to this. You have to believe that you are worth the hard work...becasue while right now the weight seems to be falling off, sooner or later it won't and you WILL struggle. Those are the times when you have to really stick to your plan and push through it.

I have been doing this for almost two years, and these last 40ish lbs have been the hardest to lose. But i won't give up. YOU CAN DO IT! Feel free to read my profile and send a FR if you want. i wish you the very best!
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Welcome! WTG on your initial loss! The first few weeks is usually the easiest so get started on some good habits so when/if you do have a bad week you won't be tempted to quit! I only have about 35lbs to lose but I am in the CNJ area, if you want add me. I'm just getting back into the swing of things. Don't let other people get you down & do what works for you. There are a lot of opinionated people on this site and people who will bash things they really know nothing about other than their own personal experience or via the internet, don't let them derail your efforts. Most importantly though, Good luck!
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    Low carb diets don't help reduce fat, It's mostly water and glycogen you lost. If you're happy with that type of plan then stick to it, just letting you know it doesn't increase the speed of fat loss and doesn't offer additional benefits.

I agree and disagree at the same time. While I don't really buy the science behind super low carb diets (I agree, calories in vs calories out is what counts) but eating lower (keyword) carb can have benefits, especially as a jumping off point, provided you still eat smart. No wrapping hot dogs in bacon. Low carb is a good way to break some food addictions and can be great for calorie control, which as a lot of people are pointing out, is why people lose weight. For me the key to eating lower carb isn't about eating more meat, it's about eating more vegatables, eating lean meats, and cutting out carb rich junk filler foods (for the most part anything that comes in a box). Low carb is like a reboot of sorts. It's a way to get back to basics so and give a person some control before deciding what to add back in to their diet.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Yep. I started at almost 500 lbs and dropped 30 lbs in my first 8 days. I went cold turkey on soda pop. The more you have to lose, the faster it drops. However, it's not always the case. For me it slowed down since. I average 2-4 a month now. I'm in no rush either.

Oh, you're absolutely right. It requires continuous exercise to continue to see your number drop.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am a bigger person, and I know how that feels. My total weight loss needed was 210 pounds. I have lost 44 of those. I am on login day 85 and I plan on hanging around do or die.

I am not a super low carber but more of a moderate one. I am trying to stay below 80-100. I also monitor my calories. I have found for me, I have to watch both. I also have to drink loads of water, and keep a eye on other things too.

Anyone may feel free to add me as a friend.

Blessings!
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hi welcome to MFP Anyone is welcome to add me I log in every day and log my food every day even when it isn't the greatest I currently weigh 338 I started MFP at 349 but my highest was 370. When I started here I regimented myself to 1000c and under 60 carbs and up to 100 protein I don't do that anymore for me I switched to MFP suggested rate but I like to keep my carbs under 200 closer to 100 if I can but like emcdonie said more of a moderate carber ( I am friends with her btw) I used to eat up to 3500 carbs a day - I'm Italian and a good cook I have pasta and sauce running through my veins LOL.
    Anyways you'll figure out what is best for you as you go along I would love to journey with you.
    RaNae
  • TomKat428
    Options
    Congratulations on your successes so far! You are doing a great job!

I'm not low carb per se, but I have cut back quite a bit and tried to replace them with more protein and healthy fats. It makes a huge difference. Good luck!